Sign in to follow this  
famaquaestio

Cant interact with game world

Just bought this game yesterday. I have a "home" computer, used by most of the family, and a much inferior laptop. I originally installed it on the computer, and it worked fine, but considering the fact I hardly get to use the computer I decided to install it on my laptop as well.

Basically, I cant interact with the game environment/npcs/other players etc, whatsoever.  I can move around, and be interacted with by other players, but I cant seem to highlight, or left click anything in the game world.

The reason I say "game world" is because I can sort through menu's/statistics etc. just fine, and I can left click anything not in the world itself (such as the toolkit).

It's incredibly odd, and I've tried a good few things to try and sort it out, but it makes it impossible to actually play the game, as all I can do is walk around and enjoy the sights.

Can you post the model/make of the laptop. Since you say it works fine on the desktop, we will assume you already understand the "basics" of how interacting with the gameworld works, and since it is not crashing or otherwise glitching, it is likely not the hardware/drivers not supporting the game.

This makes me suspect a third party program on the laptop, possibly a desktop overlay program,  or a chat program that is overriding the mouse.

I'd also like to know about more about the drivers etc which I can get from the console log file. It is usually located in this folder:

\steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles

(it may not say "log" on the end depending on your computer settings).

• Is this using a wireless mouse, a wired mouse, a touchpad, or a touchscreen?
  • Is it possible to test the laptop using the mouse from the desktop, not permanently just to see whether that makes a difference. Preferably a wired USB mouse. Maybe try after everyone is alseep so they won't notice you stole "their" mouse :P 

Try also these two things : Doubleclick middle mouse button to free mouselook, -or-, alt tab out and nack to regain mouse focus.

Often times the alt-tab fixes it because something stole the "focus" away from the LMB, and that returns the focus back to the mouse and game. 

You might have to do a "clean boot" on the laptop to disable a lot of gunkware that shipped with the laptop, plus was added over the years. 

I suggest setting furst a SYSTEM RESTORE POINT (you might need to enable system restore)

Then follow Microsoft's directions here for a clean boot:

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

Probably also worth looking at these threads:

The last thread suggested this:

After hours of researching I think I may have found a fix. 
Thank JuuchiYosamu from http://www.planetminecraft.com/forum...y-t331086.html
In windows there is a stupid feature to DELAY the mouse clicking. (yeah I know, retarded).

Here's what you gotta do: 
1. Hit Windows Key + W. 
2. Then type "Mouse and Touchpad Settings".
3. Under Touchpad, change the delay to No delay (always on).
4. Once that is done, try it out in your games, it should work. 

I tried it in Tekkit (minecraft) and it worked. This has also been tried out on World of Warcraft. The left clicking works normally as well.
Please do reply if it works, and spread the word to other forums if this solution works.
Thanks.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I just realised I made a huge mistake in my original post. It's RIGHT clicking that doesn't seem to do anything in the game world. I don't know why I'm always mixing those two up!

Just to clarify a bit, I can right click on anything within a menu eg, examine, equip, emote at items in my inventory. I just cant inspect/select anything in the game world. Also I forgot to mention last time that nothing is highlighted in the world, even when I hover my cursor over it.

Anyway, I tried using the wired mouse from the computer, but there was no success there. My laptop has a touch pad but its quite unresponsive  at the best of times, so I usually use a mouse alongside it. Neither of those worked either. Another thing to note is that it's only this game that it seems to be an issue with. I also tried your other suggestions, bar the clean boot, but I've had no luck.

I checked the console log for my character, and dear god, the amount of errors! It turns out a "bad driver version" was detected, so I updated my drivers, but I'm still getting the same problem.

Anyway, I'm going to upload my character's console log in the hopes that its an incredibly straight forward issue that I'm not spotting lol.

If all else fails I'll try the clean boot, but I'm pretty sure that its not a case of "gunkware."  There is practically nothing on this laptop. It's basically a glorified notebook for a bunch of pdfs, and apart from a few very old games that I've installed, I haven't downloaded anything else to it. I also cleaned it when I got it.

Edit: Whoops just realised I didn't upload the file with this post, but um, now that I'm looking at it, how on earth do you upload anything to this forum?

I'm not seeing anything that allows me to attach a file. I'm sure there's something incredibly obvious that I'm missing.

Edited by famaquaestio

Most people copy paste the content of the cosole log into the reply field. Another option is to use Pastebin:  https://pastebin.com/

Also let me know how the clean boot works, again I suggest first confirming System restore is functioning in case you need to undo any changes 

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

It's usually best not to let windows update the video drivers as they install microsoft made drivers that do not support openGL well, so you'll want to get the graphics drivers instead form the grapohics chip manufacturer (NVIDIA, ATI/AMD, Intel) 

What are the hardware stats of the laptop and does it meet minimum requirements for the game? 

(It might be possible to still run if it is only slightly below minimum)

MINIMUM:

Processor: 2.6 GHZ Intel Core 2 DUO or equivalent AMD CPU

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 4xx , Radeon HD 5xxx

Storage: 3000 MB available space

Additional Notes: Java Version 8

Well I tried the clean boot, but the issue still persisted, then I read the minimum requirements....

Turns out the laptop doesn't actually meet them. It's processor is only a Celeron Dual-Core CPU  T3100  @ 1.90GHz, and its graphics chip is a Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset.

That shouldn't be causing the issue though. I've played games with computers below the minimum specs before, and all that tends to happen is the game doesn't run, or if it does, it does so with considerable lag and/or graphical issues. This issue is far to specific and strange to simply be the laptop not meeting the requirements. I mean, I can run the game fine with only a bit of lag, and sure there's some weird colouring, but that doesn't honestly bother me. I think the issue lies somewhere else, but I'm honestly not sure with what.

Here's the config file anyway. I apologise in advance for how long it is.

https://pastebin.com/04nnamsb

Edited by famaquaestio

sorry I posted wrong. good luck. make sure your Java is up to date also.

Edited by Lolabelle

Yeah I agree 100%, I think if the min specs were the full issue, you would either not be able to load the game at all, or it would be painfully sluggish.

It's possible however that the laptop is struggling so much especially on the cpu issue (and possibly affected by RAM) , that it is really not able to keep up with demands on relaying and processing information. But it might not be the base issue. It's one reason however I think you need to eliminate every single background process possible, to prevent the cpu from struggling under the load. Also, can you confirm how much RAM the laptop has. We do know ram under 4gigs is giving people issues in the new version of the client. 

In addition, the graphics driver you are using is from 2009 and THAT could easily be a primary cause of no outlines and problems with examining etc. Wurm is extremely finicky about really really really old drivers, or drivers that come from Microsoft and are stripped of many OpenGL features. 

In addition, i think there was a compatability setting (maybe the FBO or VBO  compatability setting) that sometimes needs to be disbaled to changed, but I am unsure what the specific setting is. Thats one of the reasons where the minimum specs comes into play -- there are some "under the hood" fiddlings you can do with a modern driver and a few setting tweaks, but I t=will have to look around to see whether FBO or VBO or what is that setting, 

As you also figured out, this message seems serious:

1. Device "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family" (\\.\DISPLAY1) initialization failed :
  2. WARNING: bad driver version detected, device disabled. Please update your driver to at least version 8.15.10.2302
Now usually you do NOT want to use windows to select the video driver for you because windows always installs microsoft written drivers that do not support the required OpenGL features.  They do ok with DirectX games, but not with openGL.  Microsoft makes DirectX and is not fond of supporting the rival openGL standard. Usually you instead want to use drivers from INTEL as intel actually does an excellent job these days writing OpenGL game-friendly drivers for the Intel HD 4000. There are a number of people who play ok with the Intel HD 4000, but none of them get this error message you get or have issues with outlines or examining and right clicks.

People successfully using the Intel HD 4000 are using modern drivers such as this one, which you should try::

One problem however is a few laptop manufacturer will actually block their users from being able to use the Intel version drivers. There is sometimes a way to manually install the intel drivers which you might have to look at if you cannot install the driver using the normal download - run install setup. 

Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows 7

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005474/graphics-drivers.html

9 minutes ago, Lolabelle said:

sorry I posted wrong. good luck. make sure your Java is up to date also.

Actually, the steam version of the game (Wurm Unlimited) comes pre bundled with a working java package just for WU, and does not need JAVA installed or updated on the system, because they include all of that in the STEAM package.

Two things to try (AFTER you get the modern 2017 driver installed and if the new driver on its own does not SOLVE the issue):

Launch the game launcher but BEFORE selecting a server, go to OPTIONS and set VBO and FBO to disabled:

Q5Yaub1.png

My memory is foggy but I seem to recall one of those being helpful for peiople with older intel chipsets who had issues with outlines, but the one I saw was several years ago and I am a little unsure.  I am thinking however the new 2017 driver does not need this done.

I tested first in my own game to make sure this should not crash the game or cause any severe issues. However it makes the game feel much more "choppy" on my system, so put these settings back to default (CORE) if it does not help. 

DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER SETTINGS ESPECIALLY DO NOT CHANGE RESOLUTION / FULLSCREEN as that setting DOES crash intel graphics especially if switched to FULLSCREEN. So leave other settings untouched, 

...=EXCEPT= .. make sure this setting IS still checked as it is by default: "Outline Hovered Objects"

tVLViAN.png

it is unlikely that setting was changed, but it would certainly explain why you could not see any outlines ingame. 

Also see: (thanks to Lunakiva for spotting this thread)

Well....turns out I only have 3 gbs of ram, that driver you suggested didn't support this ancient thing, and that "outline hovered objects box" was indeed checked.

I was just about to give up on this laptop when I decided to disable VBP and FBO, just so I could say that I tried everything......and IT WORKED!!

Completely cured! Thanks for putting up with the ridiculousness of trying to get an almost decade old laptop to run, for two days!

No honestly, thanks a million! I would have probably given up otherwise. Much appreciated!

Edited by famaquaestio

That is too bad that the driver would not work, since that driver is supposed to be  compatible with that Celeron processor plus the Intel HD 4000 -- make sure you tried the ZIP / MANUAL installation method in this link , as it will probably make a huge difference in how well that laptop handles the game.

But glad to hear it is playable now :D The gods of Wurm LOVE stubborn people best, for they are the chosen ones!

(You can always try another day on that driver. Be stubborn because it 'ought' to work, it just won;t work using normal installation process -- but for now simply enjoy the game)