Sign in to follow this  
Gorath

Latest Patch 1.5.2.1 is causing client to white screen crash.

I updated my wurm unlimited client to 1.5.2.1 and began to receive a white screen crash.  I am running a AMD RX480 with 8gb ram and a 800watt PSU.  I had no issues running the wurm unlimited client prior to the 1.5.2.1 patch.  I have tried connecting to 2 different servers one running 1.5.0.1 I believe and the other running 1.5.2.1.  I did not have any issues with the server running 1.5.0.1 until the server admin upgraded the server to 1.5.2.1.  I had the same issue immediately with the other server running 1.5.2.1.  I have been able to run wurm unlimited on both of these servers without any issues when both servers were running 1.4 versions.

Edited by Gorath
Add more information.

I also do not have any other issues with any other game that I have installed and play.

I have also performed a clean install of the game and still crashes.

Can you grab a crash log from Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles named console.playername.log to share here? You can paste the contents in a spoiler or upload to pastebin and put the link here

There is a series of issues with people having whitescreen crashes with Radeon RX470/480s, usually not always with Win10.

this may or may not be your issue also, but certainly its worth reading, at least to know others have this issue also:

One thing that gave some partial relief, is to rename the folder:   \steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles\configs      to something like \configsTEST\ which will force the game to regenerate  default vanilla configurations, at first make no changes including to resolution (fulllscreen especially seems to be an issue, so maybe try windows resizeable or windowed fullscreen and NOT normal fullscreen.  

It seems to happen the most often with the combination of:  Win10, RX470/480, alts, and high settings. There is one reported case in WU wiith Win7 and lower settings and no alts (but also an RX470/480) so it is possibly a conflict between the new client's OpenGL features, and something specific about the RX4xx hardware or its drivers.. 

If the renamed CONFIGS folder helps but you miss your hotkeys, you can usually get your original keybindings.txt from the old config folder though if that file seems unusually large (over 10-25kg) it may be causing an issue. Best to test first with a fresh hotketys and only bring the old one over if crashes seem to stop. You can also try renaming ONLY gamesettings.txt but renaming the entire folder seems to have given the most relief from whitescreen crashes.

And yes, absolutely post the console logs so they can see what exactly triggers the crash.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1