Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

(Please Close)

Recommended Posts

In light of the current discussions/decisions regarding Epic character transfers, I would like to see a discussion about how Freedomers would feel about adding Valrei mobs to PVE maps.  Let's face it, there really isn't much "E" in Freedom PVE anymore except for uniques and rifts - which many of us cannot frequently participate in due to schedules, etc.  The argument I have always heard is that they are too overpowering to roam PVE lands given how many newbies would be mowed down by them. But the truth is, there are far more experienced players in PVE than newbies of late, and even if we were flooded with new players, I have rarely experienced valrei-noob-griefing episodes in either WO or WU.  On the contrary, these more powerful creatures provide great "end game" PVE players with more appropriate creatures to hunt/kill.  They also provide some additional danger (and suspense) to an otherwise docile (and often boring) PVE environment.  And the cries of wee Wurmians needing help only serve to provide another purpose to interact with the community, allowing higher-skilled players to assist in clearing mobs of v-creatures.

 

Personally, I would love to be able to hunt them like Epic and Chaos players can, and I see almost no reason not to introduce them to the PVE lands.  Rather than make this a suggestion, I would like to see healthy debate on the pros and cons.

 

What say you?

Discuss.

Edited by Eyesgood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

always +1 to new creatures of any kind

Oh wait, it's not in the suggestions thread.. so..  I'm ok with having more powerful creatures roam the lands if they are balanced.. maybe they can be changed to be aggro just like hell horses, with a small range and only a small chance for them to auto-attack, so they only attack you if you want to, or you are dumb enough to get too close.

Edited by faty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purely selfish, but I'm finally at a point with a character that I can go AFK for a few minutes while out hunting and not worry that I'll come back to the red ring of death. Valrei mobs would change that considerably.

I have no interest in seeing drakespirits, eaglespirits and nogumps in Freedom, myself. If I did, I'd go back to Chaos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, faty said:

always +1 to new creatures of any kind

Oh wait, it's not in the suggestions thread.. so..  I'm ok with having more powerful creatures roam the lands if they are balanced.. maybe they can be changed to be aggro just like hell horses, with a small range and only a small chance for them to auto-attack, so they only attack you if you want to, or you are dumb enough to get too close.

 

One of the creepiest aspects of a Valrei mob is that they will attack (and kill guards), which means you can hear the fight at a distance, and know that -something- is out there. :P I wouldn't change their aggro at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 good idea add drakespirits and eaglespirits that will fly on deed and kill every single branded horse and player that can't find a doored mine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Valrei creatures belong in PVP not PVE. PVE has plenty of trolls. Go to Chaos or Epic to hunt PVP creatures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I've wanted them roaming the PVE lands since their implementation. Setting aside what I would like, I do understand that there are many other PVE players that are not interested in dealing with Valrei creatures and/or are not equipped to do so.

I'm of the opinion that if Valrei creatures were added in small numbers to each server, it wouldn't be any more detrimental to those players than the uniques that respawn every month. The only tweak I see that would probably be necessary is to stop spirit creatures from passing through house walls. Loot drops would need to stay the same (as Chaos), otherwise no one would bother hunting these things and they would just float around the map, haunting the unprepared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember the numbers or times when they'd spawn back when they did.  But they were wrecking people.  Some because of their abilities to ignore houses and chunk you off cliffs.  It would be nice to have some more stronger critters on freedom though.  If we could tone down the throwing and them ignoring house walls, I'd love to see them on indy too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always missed the epic creatures on Xanadu, having played on Serenity with my old character Eobersig. I certainly would welcome epic mobs on Xanadu.

 

I miss my Nogump hunts! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I somehow remember some of those spawning on my deed on Deli when it first opened...? Might have been one of Rolf's passing fancies. They were horrible, you could not kill them, guards would not help, you could not even hide inside your house, you could only die miserably while they wrecked everything. 

 

Good way to make sure Freedom stays an elite veterans player server for old timers,  and new players quickly make their way back to WU where they are welcome.

 

 

 

 

Or hey, just have a Hunting Server that Freedom players can sail to for a day of adventure,  no deeds and no guards, people can still build small offdeed hunting cabins that have to be maintained often or they decay super fast, roaming with valrei type creatures, rifts, and make everyone happy.  Doesn't have to be a very big server. Deli-sized or even half that. Half a deli.  Needs Mammoths and nighttime werewolves.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They certainly spice things up, but I don't think most freedomers would enjoy having to spend an extra 1-5 silver a month to have spirit templars protecting them on there deeds, and even with that you would see so many domestic animals getting slayed still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I somehow remember some of those spawning on my deed on Deli when it first opened...? Might have been one of Rolf's passing fancies. They were horrible, you could not kill them, guards would not help, you could not even hide inside your house, you could only die miserably while they wrecked everything. 

 

Good way to make sure Freedom stays an elite veterans player server for old timers,  and new players quickly make their way back to WU where they are welcome.  AGREED

 

 

 

 

Or hey, just have a Hunting Server that Freedom players can sail to for a day of adventure,  no deeds and no guards, people can still build small offdeed hunting cabins that have to be maintained often or they decay super fast, roaming with valrei type creatures, rifts, and make everyone happy.  Doesn't have to be a very big server. Deli-sized or even half that. Half a deli.  Needs Mammoths.  Another server for hunting I guess, but We already have 5 servers that are under used with Epic and Chaos.

 

 

If you want to go fight stuff like this then go to PVP where they were meant to be. Most of us PVEer's are here because we like the peace and quiet of creative play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are very few things right now that are exclusive to pvp. In order to bring Valrei creatures to Freedom, they would need to be watered down (no attacking guard towers, significantly reduced aggro ranges, easier to kill, not attacking deed animals, reduced speeds) or they will murder any player they will come across.. For example, a drake spirit will make quick work of a 70fs player wearing drake, along with 4 guards and 2 deed templars, it can't be outrun on a normal horse, and you can't hide inside your home from it. It will follow you in and kill you. So what chance does 80% of Freedomers have, when their highest combat prowess is a two handed sword at 70fs?

 

Taking this into consideration, if you water down Valrei creatures, then whats the point of having them in the pvp servers? Why would we hunt them there when you can easily and safely hunt them on freedom? They would loose their luster and would be yet another blow to the pvp servers, thus effectively eliminating one og the few  reasons people go hunt on Chaos.

 

Nothing quite beats the experience Valrei mobs provide when you bring a Drake Spirit to deed and you have to get a few buds to kill the thing. This is something exclusive to Epic and Chaos and it should stay that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

There are very few things right now that are exclusive to pvp. In order to bring Valrei creatures to Freedom, they would need to be watered down (no attacking guard towers, significantly reduced aggro ranges, easier to kill, not attacking deed animals, reduced speeds) or they will murder any player they will come across.. For example, a drake spirit will make quick work of a 70fs player wearing drake, along with 4 guards and 2 deed templars, it can't be outrun on a normal horse, and you can't hide inside your home from it. It will follow you in and kill you. So what chance does 80% of Freedomers have, when their highest combat prowess is a two handed sword at 70fs?

 

Taking this into consideration, if you water down Valrei creatures, then whats the point of having them in the pvp servers? Why would we hunt them there when you can easily and safely hunt them on freedom? They would loose their luster and would be yet another blow to the pvp servers, thus effectively eliminating one og the few  reasons people go hunt on Chaos.

 

Nothing quite beats the experience Valrei mobs provide when you bring a Drake Spirit to deed and you have to get a few buds to kill the thing. This is something exclusive to Epic and Chaos and it should stay that way.

 

I killed one drake spirit by myself and a few guards, and I only have a two-month-old account with plate. It did nearly kill my horse with its AOE attack, but we survived. Maybe I was lucky? :P

 

Anyhow, based on my minimal experiences with Valrei mobs, yeah, I can see some of them being a grief on Freedom. Uttacha spawn are pretty tame until you attack them, but the spirits and the nogumps would be nasty, due to speed and aggro range. I don't think the minions or sol demons would be too bad (except in champion varieties).

 

I haven't seen them going after horses and such, however, just guards, nor have I seen them knocking things apart.

 

I really like the idea of a dangerous but rewarding hunting island. :) Freedom seems tame compared to Epic (even without PVP action).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People in freedom complain about hell hounds and trolls, and about how difficult it is for new players.

 

 

Do you think Freedom is ready for Valrei? I dont think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah they should be added, but with less speed and easily avoidable.

 

Or better yet, add some higher and lower tier PVE exclusive mobs with special drops and keep valrei off the server.

Edited by Niki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-1 If I wanted the Epic experience I would go play on the Epic servers. I think that the ones who want this are Epic players who have forgotten how hard these creatures are to kill without massive experience, skills and equipment. Let Valrei creatures stay on Epic where they can be handled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrGARY said:

+1 good idea add drakespirits and eaglespirits that will fly on deed and kill every single branded horse and player that can't find a doored mine

I had this happen due to an "unintended feature". I lost 20+ 5 speeds and numerous 5sp hell horses. Nothing was done, because it wasn't a bug, so it's safe to say that it wiuld continue to happen if these things would be on freedom.

 

I think new creatures are fun, but these things are really damn strong, destructive, and fly through walls. I think suggesting a few new mobs that fit better within the parameters of freedom may be more sensible. Something that doesn't literally fly through walls to kill you.

 

Fyi we did have valrei mobs on freedom a long time ago but they were removed after complaints of them being too strong.

Edited by Alyeska

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to live on top a mountain on serenity, nothing beats being thrown out of your house, and half way down the mountain when you went afk and a nogump thought to say hello.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I think it's a great idea to experience the likes of Nogumps and Drakespirits on Epic, to drag them to a tower and call all the guards on them while yu fill them full of arrows from a safe distance, I really don't think the majority of Freedom players are ready for them, that's not a dig at Freedom players either, but I generally don't see Freedom players running around in plate on well geared fast horses or hell horses in order to outrun the average aged nogump, those things are fast with a crazy aggro range.

 

Eaglespirits are not particularly terrible, tougher then trolls, and capable of throwing you they can be annoying and I generally tower tank them as well, but they die faster than drakespirits or nogumps

 

The new Uttachas with their horse killing AOE and the fact they split in to a number of smaller Uttachas as well, yeah, those are best taken out at range or on foot.

 

Sol demons and Deathcrawlers are not as bad, I think anyone capable of soloing trolls would find those about as easy to kill.

 

But no, I don't think introducing them to Freedom would improve the quality of life of most players, and nerfing them would be a travesty really, they are supposed to be more difficult, to better represent the environment we find them on now, You want to fight Valrei mobs in their natural habitat? Well the upcoming update will enable you to go try your luck with them on Epic without having to grind your skills up as you would when starting as a new character there.

 

Valrei mobs are part of what makes Epic different, I'd prefer to keep those differences, rather than dilute them for Freedom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good on a dedicated hunting server, would be utter disaster on existing servers. Places were built and people arrived with a mindset adjusted for the current mix of threats, throw in valeri mobs and you might as well throw in a server reset. :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this