Sign in to follow this  
Cartmann

Request - Coal Pile production rate

Wondered if anyone would be willing to make a mod that changes how quickly coal piles produce charcoal?

As I do quite like to play on a local server, I do not have the time to keep the server running at all times, so I have have to make farms grow quickly, add the forestry mod to water trees etc but there is no easy way to get a hold of charcoal - lava spiders and hell hounds are too far between.

Thanks in advance.

You could just make an non decaying lava spider layer. As a temp solution.

Is it okay if it's a new item? It would use the coal pile graphics. I just think it's easier and more resistant to update breaking if the mod doesn't try to alter WU vanilla functionality.

Here an interesting idea. What are some things a player should or could have access to in game that would speed up coal creation? The base creation speed can be speed up obviously but it would be nice to have additional things players can do. 

We have three aspects here:

1. the quality produced.

- wallnut  bumps ql by 10%

2. the rate at which it's produced.

3. the quantity produced.

-oak increases quantity but it's more related to how the coal pile is tied into the decay system.

Perhaps something that will let you turn any wooden thing into charcoal might be nice, even woodscrap.

Edited by joedobo

Maybe a recipe or something that would allow 24kg logs in a kiln or smelter to turn into charcoal instead of just burning up?

No clue if that would be possible, but it makes at least a little sense from an in-game immersion standpoint.  :)

Edited by Nikalus

That'd make sense, at least from an immersion standpoint.  You'd have to do the calculations to lower the output.  Right now I get 6.4kg of ash from a <5 minute campfire.  :)  Maybe aim for 2 or so pieces (0.5kg each) of charcoal for a 15-20 minute burn?  And the ash produce mod already allows for configurable heat sources (i.e. "I want this from campfires, but not forges"), so you could turn on charcoal produce for only what you feel is most appropriate.

• Like 1

Bump.  I'm really hoping someone will pick up something for this to help out us people on non-persistent / self run servers.  :)