Sign in to follow this  
icbash

Manual Roof Building

Manual Roof Building

Wurm buildings have come a long way. Years ago, it was as simple as two options. Wood or stone. Now we have many different options. Buildings can become a lot more creative than once before. But this creativity only extends to the walls. The roof of a building is pretty ordinary. Sure, you can choose different materials to make them out of. But the layout of the roof is not up to the builder. The game auto-aligns each roof ridge.

I propose a new roof system. Manual roof building. Not only would it be practical, logical, and intuitive - it’d add exponential creativity to the way we build our structures! Here’s how it could work. The roof plan would still happen the same: “Right click floor, plan roof above”. BUT whenever you go to build it with your chosen material you would have “roof type” options. The roof types could include(but are not limited to):

• “Shed roof” - like the existing roof, but can be built against a flat surface(an existing wall)

767b8cab21d2d5303ae592c866ee4e52.jpg

• “Gable shed roof” - like the above, but with diagonal walls on the sides. Can expand infinitely when placed adjacent to other gable shed roofs.

3c58dc51bb55deea2da2da541b952568.jpg4fed9a3fa56c93e90982d2b545316aae.jpg

• “Half gable” - for when you want a gable roof to only be on one tile, rather than 2 side by side.

c0789eeb17229cbd77c795ef1220a0b9.jpg

These are just a few ideas for what could happen with roofs in the future. As you can see, there are plenty of interesting combinations you could use these roofs with to make very appealing structures! Lean-tos, sheds, gables, and more could all be possible. Almost any building in the real world could be recreated in wurm with the help of these roofs. To allow for proper alignment, the ability to rotate the roof tiles could be implemented (Perhaps with the help of a fancy tool) so that they line up in the way you intended them to be constructed. We already do that with wall types, why not roof types too?

5de229f7e3dd4928bd1f0696a5c82ec7.jpg

So what do you think, Wurmians? Should roofs have the same freedom that we have with walls? Let’s hear it in the comments below!

Thank you Leifar for writing this idea of mine out

Edited by icbash
  • Like 9

+100, this is something I would love to see this myself! SO many possibilities you could create with this.

It's been suggested before I'm sure, but Icbash's picture edits do it justice, I think.

• Like 2

Yeah the current roof tech really is bad, and should be looked at. The chimney on the second floor ruins my immersion.

2 hours ago, Niki said:

Yeah the current roof tech really is bad, and should be looked at. The chimney on the second floor ruins my immersion.

to fix your issue, I expand it out by one tile, and put my oven in there,

the chance of the roofing system being changed, is like trying to get blood out of a stone, the roofing style is, I presume set on the roofing styles of the norman/medieval period, of European times. so the chances of them changing it are very slim.. I hope i'm wrong, when I build a roof, I use a "floor plan" and then use parapet because I just don't like the pitched roof, because it causes a big gaping whole between the roof and wall.

biggest thing what i am saying this can all be done with the models that are in game know if we could just manual build the roofs

• Like 1

+1. more creative options is always good, even if i'll probably never use them or only get headackes trying to figure them out later :D

+1  

You always have great ideas and implementer of the first public cooking affinity spreadsheet.  Keep up the good work!