Sign in to follow this  
Firecat

Wurm freezing entire computer

I can play wurm for some time, and then randomly it could crash, some days it will be fine and no problems at all, however it can just freeze and it goes unresponsive, but all the sounds in the background are still playing such as music or youtube etc, there is absolutely no way for me to recover apart from turning my computer on and off at the power button, the cursor completely freezes and is unresponsive, same with my keyboard too. And it is a huge pain in the ass considering I am on a pvp cluster. I only get this issue with Wurm and no other games, and i am really at a loss.. if anyone can help me figure out wtf is going on i would appreciate it. I do not get this issue on Wurm unlimited, and yes i have reinstalled java 64bit multiple times to try and see if that would fix the issue however it did not..

Edited by Firecat

Had something similar happen at the exo impalong yesterday, computer froze and screen went black. When i rebooted the computer i had a java error log on the desktop, did you have that too?

there are no error logs, no black screens either, it sticks with what i could see up until it froze and it will never go away.

1) which Java version, I am told Wurm is not currently compatible with the new Java 9 ?

2) Do you happen to have Win 10 + radeon RX470/480? We have a few cases of computer freezeups (music still playing) with that setup, possibly a driver issue

19 hours ago, Firecat said:

I can play wurm for some time, and then randomly it could crash, some days it will be fine and no problems at all, however it can just freeze and it goes unresponsive, but all the sounds in the background are still playing such as music or youtube etc, there is absolutely no way for me to recover apart from turning my computer on and off at the power button, the cursor completely freezes and is unresponsive, same with my keyboard too. And it is a huge pain in the ass considering I am on a pvp cluster. I only get this issue with Wurm and no other games, and i am really at a loss.. if anyone can help me figure out wtf is going on i would appreciate it. I do not get this issue on Wurm unlimited, and yes i have reinstalled java 64bit multiple times to try and see if that would fix the issue however it did not..

Sounds more like a problem with your computer, can't really be a wurm problem. Wurm Clients run with java, which runs all applications in the JVM (java virtual machine), which makes it a bit of a sandboxed environment, a full PC freeze because of Wurm is very unlikely. Check your operating system and your PC, maybe your GPU is dieing.

Edited by Sklo:D

I am running windows 7 with a gtx960 4gb, and an AMD FX-6300, 8gb ram 1333mhz etcetc.

My computer does not crash like this at all with any other games, and I have had no major issues with my current set up at much at all in terms of hardware and software since I do maintain it well, my GPU was upgraded not really long ago either (1 or so years ago)  ; 

It only happens with Wurm Online.

Edited by Firecat

"My computer does not crash like this at all with any other games"

Two of the things that make Wurm different from most other games, is OpenGL and Java.  So let's look at those two issues first.

JAVA:  Is this 32-bit Win7 or 64 bit?  Wurm has a history of crashing with 32-bit java, so you should only have that installed if you have no other choice, because it often gets used first even if you ALSO have 64-bit java.  If you have 64-bit Win7, its best to go to Control panel > Programs, uninstall all JAVA versions then install ONLY the offline manual installation of 64-bit Java, found here:  https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

The one you want is the third option labelled Windows Offline (64-bit).    If however you only have 32-bit Win7, you cannot run 64 bit JAVA at all, which likely means the crashes will continue but lets proceed to the next check, on OpenGL. 

(Sorry you already clarified you are on 64-bit, but I would still check program manager to uninstall any 32 bit versions also installed) 

OPENGL: With OpenGL, there are often issues if you use a driver written by microsoft, as they prefer their own proprietary DirectX and don;t always fully support OpenGL, so for that reason it is usually important to always get your video drivers direct from Nvidia here and never let Windows update / Device manager or any other windows utility select your graphics driver for you.  Can you see whether the same issue occurs using the Oct 9 2017 driver from NVidia (I would have linked the exact driver but I am not sure whether you are 32- or 64-bit Win7) Here is the Nvidia driver site:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Another issue I am slightly curious about is what specific power supply unit is in your computer. The GTX960 is a trifle more power hungry than some other cards in that class, and probably not a good pick if you have an off-the-shelf national brand computer with a standard 300W/350W power supply.  Probably you would have issues however with other graphically demanding games if that was the issue, although there are some other factors that might make those other games not push the card in the same way.

Also, I suggest running in windowed fullscreen  or windowed resizeable and not "fullscreen" as periodic alt tabbing in fullscreen can cause issues/freezes. Also Wurm just has a history of issues with fullscreen mode. 

Finally, for error logs can you also check the Wurm folder and look especially for files mentioning HS_ERR_PID or console.charactername.log (preferably both files). In a few cases they are located ion the desktop but usually it is in whichever folder Wurm is located. If you have run wurm without crashes in the past, you should have at least the console.charactername  file.

It might also be worth checking Windows Event Viewer 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I Updated my PSU with my new GPU since my old one basically caught fire last year at the same time I was buying it so thats no problem, I was going to get one to suit my GPU power demands also.

*I am running Java 8 update 144 (64-bit) as is indicated via programs and features in win7.

HS_ERR_PID files get shoved on my desktop, this crash never created one of these crash files as I have to turn my PC off for it to be unstuck so there is no recognition from the java application itself.

I managed to find a possible event viewer crash log however I do not know how useful it would be for you, I'll attach it below in a spoiler

The program jp2launcher.exe version 11.144.2.1 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: 1bfc
 Start Time: 01d341ee7309b759
 Termination Time: 61
 Application Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_144\bin\jp2launcher.exe
 Report Id: dfa6b176-ade1-11e7-9051-902b349d832b

and another

The program jp2launcher.exe version 11.144.2.1 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: 10f0
 Start Time: 01d33d2c173ea644
 Termination Time: 55
 Application Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_144\bin\jp2launcher.exe
 Report Id: a2200665-a91f-11e7-beab-902b349d832b

also the other page it gives me, whether this is of any use i do not know  

+ System

- Provider
      [ Name] Application Hang

- EventID 1002
      [ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 101

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2017-10-04T16:19:35.000000000Z

EventRecordID 53732

Channel Application

Computer *private info removed*

Security
- EventData
      jp2launcher.exe
      10f0
      01d33d2c173ea644
      C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_144\bin\jp2launcher.exe
      a2200665-a91f-11e7-beab-902b349d832b
      55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 006E0055 006E006B 0077006F 0000006E
0008: 0000

In Bytes

0000: 55 00 6E 00 6B 00 6E 00 U.n.k.n.
0008: 6F 00 77 00 6E 00 00 00 o.w.n...
0010: 00 00 ..

Edited by Firecat
added info

It sounds like Wurm isn't "crashing" so much as it's just stopped updating the screen.

Run windowed/maximized for a while even if you don't like it, then if it happens again see if you can move the cursor outside of the game window and still have the OS respond.

What is your CPU temperature and have you tried re-installing c++ redistributable packages?