Sign in to follow this  
Caroligan

Make Unique fights server events, like Rifts

Why not make Unique Encounters into server events instead of capture, hide them, only let people you like participate and keep all the goods for yourself fights? Honestly, it seems like there is a Freedom-wide Unique Cartel.

For example: Blue Dragon arrives! (blue beam shoots into the sky and you have 3 days to gather resources and prepare), 3-4 waves of dragonkin minions pour out of a blue-ish castle sparking with electricity and throwing random lighting bolts into the field of battle. After the last wave, Blue Dragon emerges and fights to the death. Hides, scales, bloods and other loots get distributed like Rifts where the more you participated, the higher the loot you get.

7 minutes ago, Caroligan said:

And why not?

Because reasons.

I think it would go a long way toward player retention and exposing more potential long-term players to all aspects of the game. There is more to this than grinding and farming.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Because reasons.

I know, I know... The first Rule of Unique Club is you don't TALK about Unique Club...

• Like 1

No, the first rule of unique club is, YOU find it, YOU reap the rewards.  

Your suggestion is clearly intended to turn unique fights into welfare loot, like Rifts.  You want a light in the sky to show you where to go for free loot.  No.... find it and earn it.

• Like 4

Maybe not so far as a rift-type event, but I do get your meaning.  To be fair, I've seen open invites for participation in some Release unique kills, but closed loot.  So ya get a bit of blood and scale for your efforts.  /shrug.  There used to be public kills / public loot, but I suppose that's history.   Welcome to the new, less populated Wurm.

I don't like cartels or cliques or whatever you want to call them either.  But I frankly do not care.  That's not my game.  If I were to be included, then I invite self-loathing.  

• Like 2

Could you imagine the lag? last public dragon fight had an absurd amount of people with alts just parked there to get the slither of scale. At least with rifts it requires some level of participation to get rewards or good skills (and acting fast) to harvest good mats. For public slayings you just stand in local - so the lag would be off the scale (haha pun not intended).

• Like 1

At the moment the unique slayings *are* closed events.  Unless you have the supreme fortune to find a unique and pen it yourself, you're going to have to get the hunt group to do it for you.  You get first call on loot (as far as I have seen), but otherwise the loot goes to the hunters.

In essence hunts are rather like private rifts (with a lot less risk due to the presence of a healer at each hunt); if you belong to the hunter clique you'll be buried in blood and scale/hide.

Wargasm is suggesting that making uniques like rifts would turn the loot into "wellfare loot", though inreality he means "players like myself who put a lot of time and effort into finding uniques (it involves doing many reveal creatures casts) will no longer be rewarded for our hard work".  I can understand this, and while I detest it I can see its reason; why should hard working players lose out, they'd get far less materials because the hunts would be shared.

A far simpler solution would be to add a small "hunting server" (no deeds, rapid decay (5x) and auto-naturalising terrain (regenerative), no passive mobs, daily unique spawns); that way everyone can take part if they like and the current hunter crews can carry on their good works while the rest of us get some scale/hide/tomes.

• Like 1

I'd be in favor of this IF we can come up with a fair way to measure participation is such an event.

Maybe several rift style waves of minions and then the final wave being the Unique itself? A minimum participation level to reduce the alt army to a manageable level. Could be combined with the hunting server suggestions.

• Like 2

-1. If you want the loot, find it yourself.

Edited by Delacroix

6 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

At the moment the unique slayings *are* closed events.  Unless you have the supreme fortune to find a unique and pen it yourself, you're going to have to get the hunt group to do it for you. 

That's not supreme fortune. That's putting effort into it. These "cartels" team up, work as a group instead of as single players, have fun together and spend a long time searching servers, casting spells, sharing maps and having a laugh together.

Find friends, make friends, try it for yourself? These things don't come flying to your door on a silver platter, you'll have to go out and explore wild lands to find them, which is I believe how it's supposed to be. Not a big blue beam COME HERE FOR LOOT IN THREE DAYS. You've got one big red beam already, little bit for both the people who want to have the fun of hunting uniques, and those who want to just show up for free stuff.

Anyway, remove the public scale/drake distribution to every premium in local, and you will see more public events. Right now there is none; if you host a public slaying, you'll be lucky to get maybe 0.01 weight of hide or scale; if you do it with a closed group, you get up to a kg each, and a few slayings will make you a snazzy armour set. There lies what turned so many unique fights private. Before the local distribution dragons were almost always public and nobody minded that, but somewhere it turned into what we have now.

How about no.

You want to rewards from it you can put the effort into locating and securing it.

11 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

securing it.

Isn't this unintended?  I thought unique penning was something the devs were attempting to fix.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Isn't this unintended?  I thought unique penning was something the devs were attempting to fix.

Sounds like they found a way to work around the devs intentions.

I dont think uniques should be turned into rifts, but I do think Uniques could use some tweaking to prevent penning or dropping deeds on it, etc.

• Like 1