Sign in to follow this  
Loink

Redefine Water Drinking

We don't drink water from the ocean in real life it's too salty and doesn't remove thirst, here's a little quote from some deep research I did on google.

"Human kidneys can only make urine that is less salty than salt water. Therefore, to get rid of all the excess salt taken in by drinking seawater, you have to urinate more water than you drank. Eventually, you die of dehydration even as you become thirstier."

So what i'm saying is remove the option to drink ocean water or make it as in real life if you drink it you lose health in the game. 

• Like 3

The only reason it's like that in the game is that all water is considered the same source. If they figure out how to code in rivers and lakes, I can see this being a thing, but as it currently stands, I'd have to give this a -1 for now.

• Like 2

+1 we should be able to construct stills to distill seawater to make it drinkable unless we get the water from a well/fountain

cave water should be fresh if the cave isnt connected to the ocean by a mine entrance though bc its groundwater, naturally

this could also make use of the Taste action by giving you a message such as "The water is too salty to quench your thirst." I think we should still be able to drink the seawater but have it reduce your hydration making you more thirsty to be extra realistic

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 4

Wurm isn't real life. For all we know ocean water is not even salty on the planet where Wurm takes place.

• Like 2

+1

If the game could figure out when a lake is connected to an ocean that'd be even more awesome, with specific salt and freshwater species of fish.

Distilling ocean water should yield very high ql seasalt which would make for a nice and very reliable salt source too

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 3

+1

Quick idea on how to determine if a tile is Salt Water, Brackish or Fresh Water.

LOS Definition: Line of sight, means a direct cardinal direction (N, E, S, W) of water tiles uninterrupted by land.

Underground: Always Freshwater

No LOS to server edge: Always Freshwater

2 or more LOS to server edge: Always Saltwater

After that it gets a bit more complicated.

1 LOS to server edge: Saltwater

UNLESS touching Freshwater, then Brackish.

If Brackish water is touching Fresh Water on 2 or 3 sides AND is not touching Salt Water on at least 1 side, then it becomes Fresh Water.

Run a check every hour or so (to keep server load light) and it should, over time, have the water types stabilize in a fairly sane pattern, with brackish water being a border region between salt and fresh water.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 3

Or one could just go for the simplest option:

1.  Any water gathered naturall is "tainted" and requires boiling.  Always QL1

2.  Any water from a well or fountain works as normal; QL capped by well/fountain QL

Optional 3 : Water QL gets high the higher up the water source is (mountain springs!)

Are Wurm characters exactly like humans, I'm pretty strong but pretty sure I can't drag a rl Caravel, perhaps all water has salt and it's what makes characters superhuman.

made this suggestion before. The survival portion of wurm is extremely lack luster as you progress in the game. Would be nice if there were more chores. +1

Edit:

Are Wurm characters exactly like humans, I'm pretty strong but pretty sure I can't drag a rl Caravel, perhaps all water has salt and it's what makes characters superhuman.

Dat comment irked me, lawl. Sucks to see information bent to only favor one side. Its possible that the wurmians are very much like humans, yet have kg of stuff in wurm be different than kg of stuff irl. Theres already no conservation of mass ( mass of items to make a lunch box is much greater than the end result ), so its also possible that the kg of Caravel is actually much smaller than a real boat, one we can drag irl. 2 1 sided 4 me

Edited by Yiraia
I be irked
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2017 at 8:18 PM, Yiraia said:

made this suggestion before. The survival portion of wurm is extremely lack luster as you progress in the game. Would be nice if there were more chores. +1

Edit:

Dat comment irked me, lawl. Sucks to see information bent to only favor one side. Its possible that the wurmians are very much like humans, yet have kg of stuff in wurm be different than kg of stuff irl. Theres already no conservation of mass ( mass of items to make a lunch box is much greater than the end result ), so its also possible that the kg of Caravel is actually much smaller than a real boat, one we can drag irl. 2 1 sided 4 me

like Yiraia said... this world is different... also "dragging a caravel" in water is really towing it.  If you could drag it over ground, that would be amazing.

+1 for Wurm Unlimited option, definitely.  I've played on a server with a survival mod.  Maybe I didn't notice, but I don't think salty ocean water was part of that deal.  I really like the extra motivation such survival aspects provide to everyday wurm though.

That's a great thing about WU, you can choose a server like Mystic Highlands, or one like Sklotopolis, depending on what you feel like experiencing on any given day.  I'd consider them fairly opposite ends of the difficulty/challenging spectrum in PvE.

For Wurm Online, probably a little too hardcore for the masses.  WO, being one ruleset across all continents, needs to stay closer to the center of the "challenging" spectrum.

imho.

• Like 1

hmm would be nice for established players but horrible for newbies who barely can keep their food and water bars full for 1/2 hour while running form hellhounds, crocs, bears, snakes, trolls, spiders, all giant and some faster than they can run. Without water their stam reduces too much leading to more rage quitting, just think with the low pops this would help to kill this game even more.

I'm pro-longer, harder winters, new monsters, & keeping Wurm more survival-y, in general, but -1 from me. All we've got is ocean water. The idea of water ql is better, but for imping and cooking, not for drinking. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NeeNee said:

All we've got is ocean water.

wha.... what?

• Like 1

no we dont, we are islands in a lake, problem solved lets move on.

i dont need more chores in this game. why add something that all it does is add an extra action to something.

:rolleyes:All ocean water, all lake water, whatever. Maybe Wurm whales live in lake water. 

Edited by NeeNee

19 hours ago, Rhianna said:

hmm would be nice for established players but horrible for newbies who barely can keep their food and water bars full for 1/2 hour while running form hellhounds, crocs, bears, snakes, trolls, spiders, all giant and some faster than they can run. Without water their stam reduces too much leading to more rage quitting, just think with the low pops this would help to kill this game even more.

On the contrary, I think it would be great for new players, since it adds a layer of inmersion and gives a more survival feel.  But it would get old really fast and would soon become a redundant and boring chore.