Sign in to follow this  
Theonis

Bee Smoker not working after picking up off when lit

So, now I see why no one likes to leave a post in the bug section.  250+ pages of reports and you have to sift through them to see if your report is even listed.  Five hours later and still not even a quarter of the way through the forums posts so here goes.

Any ways, last night I was pounding away on a bee hive to imp it.  Hours into the grind I was alt tabbed out of the game getting caught up on some web comics when I alt tab back in and am dead, checking the combat log it was a troll.  Not an issue, spawn point is near by any ways.  Respawn, kill the troll off with fists since it is near death any ways and then pick up all my gear on the ground and sort it all back into its sub categories.  I check to make sure my bee smoker is still active, and after verifying that it was, I go to open the hive just to see how much honey this one has in it, and bam, stung.  WTF.  Check to see the smoker is active, which it is, and try it again, stung again.  At this point I snuff it, re-lite the thing and then open the hive, not an issue. died from the bee stings caused by it, bye bye high level skills.  The death from the troll I don't care about, my fault for being out there naked any ways.  But the bees from a bug?

Any ways, I asked kchat about it and was informed it was a well known bug.  A smoker if lit and picked up off the ground, traded, or taken out of a container or cart will not grant you protection.  You need to snuff it and lite it again.

If this bug has already been made the board, I put in my time looking for it and wasn't about to spend another day looking for it.  I want to get back to game, I have projects that need to be completed.

It took me all of 1 minute to move my mouse to the top corner, enter bee smoker in the search box, tick off "this forum" in the available search options, and find this topic amongst many:

Where Alectrys replied with: 

There was a change to bee smokers with the last update and how they are fueled and how they act.  Yours may have been an old one that was somehow bugged with the patch.  Please keep an eye on it and let me know if it happens either with a brand new bee smoker or with this old one again.

When you are not using it, snuff it, then relight it when you want to use it.  It will tell you if it needs more fuel.

So did you use an old bee smoker, made before december 2016, or one made after december 2016?

Made it the first day bees went live along with my hive.  Then never did any more with it as I was still working on the construction phase of the deed.  Plenty of honey now and plenty of tim e to try new old stuff.