Sign in to follow this  
Lei

Wurm Superstition

Wurm Superstition

It's the month of October, and in the spirit of autumn many strange and maybe a little creepy things can happen! In Wurm this usually means the oak trees come alive, and your livestock turn into crawling pumpkins, alive with mysterious life force! Wraiths cross the landscape and jack-o-lanterns adorn town squares across the Freedom isles. 

In this creepy season, I wanted to bring up a topic which I've thought about long and often. Superstition. I want to tell the tale of my personal favorite superstition which I've noticed in my own play time, and have never heard anyone else bring up or address. It's very strange, and could be complete coincidence. But here it is:

"Over the years of working on various deeds, projects, and... experiments, I've noticed something very peculiar. I'll be slaving away, hard at work on the task or project and I'll look up at what I've done, and there, right beside me, will be standing a Freedom Isles Wild Boar. Okay, okay, so its not creepy. They're actually pretty cute. But it's strange. Not very often in the wild can I find wild boar. One does not go out hunting specifically to slay the elusive creature - because they're rare. But I always seem to see them specifically when I'm working on a big project. Something that takes a lot of work and actions. One appeared to me underground once, when I was building a roadway tunnel under the mountain I reside on. Another recently appeared while I was constructing the Central-Release Plaza (still under construction!). Even looking back through the years, I can think of other instances where the little wild piggies like to magically appear. I look at these instances as a sort of...  "good omen". Like maybe the developers wrote some little line of code to specifically have them spawn when things are happening in the world. Perhaps its coincidental. Or maybe they're even hand-delivered by a secret group of GMs who fly around, invisible, spawning boars on things they like. I have no idea which one of these is true, but it certainly is very peculiar and should be something to be noted."

So, fellow Wurmians? Have you encountered any strange creatures lurking about too? Has something even stranger happened? It doesn't have to be creepy, or scary. What's important is it's something completely illogical to the known game but seems to happen regardless. Let's hear your stories and comments down below!  

~Lei

• Like 3

cfa1118532013d799b4dd63992178ae2.png

"The following is a papyrus note that was discovered near the gate of my workshop. At the time of this incident, the cause of the note is unknown. (Ant-Saw-1070) "Dear Niki, You are never alone. We are always watching!" The first time I had seen the note that day I thought nothing of it and went off to do my chores. I came back later that day and the note was still there, I picked it up and read it. I was feeling chills run down my spine, just looking at the ink it was composed in. I assumed it was simply a product of my sleep deprived mind, I said of course and I instantly dropped the note and went off to bed. The next day I found another note which was alarming. (Luck-Saw-1070) "Dear Niki, curiosity killed the cat. We are watching you!" This time I felt fear. I pocketed the note and turned around to be faced with a army of garden gnomes, quickly I went inside the workshop and locked the door.  "They're coming inside the windows..." I yelled - I am suddenly knocked out on the head with a rock shard the gnome had in his pocket. I wake up the next morning in my bed  everything seemed fine, I am not sure if it was a dream or a vision of things to come but I best prepare now as the note was still in my pocket...

Edited by Niki
  • Like 2

Niki, thats awesome! Thanks so much for posting, this is exactly the kind of thing im looking for!

My wurm superstition is kind of lame and I don't think it really fits with what you're trying to do here in the thread, but I will share anyway:

When mining forward, I center my character's view because I swear that it gives me better odds of getting a flat mine floor.

• Like 1

Wild boars have been in my favor as well. They have appeared to me many times over, actually most of the times I've been working hard, like terraforming or building some large buildings. I have been Fo follower ever since I started to play this game and I have been a Fo priest couple of times as well and I take it as a genuine acceptable from Fo, when the wild boar appears to me. Superstitious or not... I consider myself a true follower of Fo when the wild boar appears to me. ;) 

Edited by Kadmint

for the life of me I couldn't find me corpse this one time I died like 16 times trying to find it.. then I followed each and every pig I found and thee it was at the end of the line of differnet popigs I encountered they are like my lucky wurm animal now..hehehe.. they are a lot like humans actually hence why some cultures won't eat them since it too much resembles human meat.. yech!!!!