Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

Moments of Inspiration

This is partly rant/suggestion/question. So far, these seem to be true of moments of inspiration:

- If one hits while I'm creating something, and the creation is successful, I always get a rare;

- If one hits while I'm imping something, the message displays, but thus far I've never gotten a rare this way (even if the imp is successful, I assume getting a rare is a 1% chance based on what I've read/heard);

- If I use a rare item to create something or continue building with a rare (such as a rare brick on a forge), the inspiration message seems to always play, but it also seems to use the 1% chance (I've never gotten a rare this way);

- If I use the last of a rare resource (like a lump) to imp something, the inspiration message does not play, but I assume the 1% chance is still used (I've never gotten a rare this way, either).

So, to rant a little, I wish that the inspiration message at least looked different for failure versus success. Part of me wants getting that cool drum roll to always mean, "you got something, you won the lottery", not "you might have won the lottery", even if it means I have less information to exploit to get rares. When I'm doing something non-imping and get the drumroll, I like wondering what I got, but it's a downer to get the drumroll while imping and know I probably didn't get anything. Kinda feels like the game is lying. :(

Also, why doesn't imping with the last of a rare resource display the inspiration drumroll the same as building with a rare item? Is there actually a difference in how those two work? (As stated, I prefer not getting the drumroll if I don't get a rare, so I wish building with rares and imping worked like using the last of a rare resource.)

Finally, I've sacced quite a few Valrei items as a member of a deed (both at on-deed and off-deed altars), but I've never seen the settlement message about the rarity window expanding (or the enchantment bonus increasing). Am I missing something? Is there a way for a villager to see if the deed is already at max?

If you get a rare roll while harvesting or creating a plank or similar items, you will 100% get a rare as long as you were successful.

If you get a rare roll while combining two items to create something such as a mallet head  plus a shaft, there is a 50% chance that you will get a rare so long as you were successful.

If you get a rare roll while imping, there is a 20% chance that the item will turn rare,  so long as you were successful.

If add rare item while continuing to build an item that requires many items to continue, I believe there is a chance that the item will turn rare  equal to  1/(The total number of items). This chance is there even if you didn't get a rare window of opportunity.

As for the enchant bonus, if you open up your character window and right click your body then click on manage and then settlement, I believe under info you will see the enchant bonus for your village. If there are many people in your village, the enchant bonus gets divided in someway. I think if there's three people in the village doesn't get divided it all, and if there's four people the enchant bonus gets divided in half, and if there's five people it gets divided by three, and so on.

It's possible that I am wrong on some of this information and maybe somebody might correct me.

Edited by McGarnicle
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info; that's very interesting. The pedia has a lot, but is by no means exhaustive. :)

I just had two moments of inspiration within 15 minutes, while creating mortar. If there's a 2 hour delay, how does that happen?

15 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

I just had two moments of inspiration within 15 minutes, while creating mortar. If there's a 2 hour delay, how does that happen?

There is no delay. If I recall correctly, every second you have a 1/3600 chance of opening a rare window. If you start an action during that rare window (the length of which depends on your bonus), you get a moment of inspiration.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

If you get a rare roll while combining two items to create something such as a mallet head  plus a shaft, there is a 50% chance that you will get a rare so long as you were successful.

If add rare item while continuing to build an item that requires many items to continue, I believe there is a chance that the item will turn rare  equal to  1/(The total number of items). This chance is there even if you didn't get a rare window of opportunity.

Chance in first case is actually 0%, rarity of materials is not checked at all for things requiring just two materials to create.

Second statement is true - any rare material or hitting a window gives 1/(amount of materials) chance, so 33% for 3, 25% for 4 etc.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Warlander said:

Chance in first case is actually 0%, rarity of materials is not checked at all for things requiring just two materials to create.

Why then did I get a drumroll when creating a forge with a rare brick and a normal clay?

1 hour ago, Roccandil said:

Why then did I get a drumroll when creating a forge with a rare brick and a normal clay?

Forge requires multiple materials to create, to be exact total of 22 - this gives roughly 4.5% chance to turn it rare.

• Like 2

The rare material will give a chance only if the item needs at least 3 parts total - in other words if not possible to be made by a priest. So no chance on tools with a head and handle etc.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Roccandil said:

- If one hits while I'm creating something, and the creation is successful, I always get a rare;

Creation rare always goes through if you succeed craft action. If continuing and getting a rare it's the same as if the part was rare. Using rare part to continue forces a window, but doesn't effect the naturally occurring window, unless you're lucky/unlucky enough to hit the window when you were already using a rare part.

- If one hits while I'm imping something, the message displays, but thus far I've never gotten a rare this way (even if the imp is successful, I assume getting a rare is a 1% chance based on what I've read/heard);

20% to go through and must get skill-gain and not damage are the two different ones i've heard. Imp rares are so low chance I've never even bothered to check which ones right.

If I use a rare item to create something or continue building with a rare (such as a rare brick on a forge), the inspiration message seems to always play, but it also seems to use the 1% chance (I've never gotten a rare this way);

10 part item is 10%, 5 item is 20% and so on. Rare window when continuing is the same.

- If I use the last of a rare resource (like a lump) to imp something, the inspiration message does not play, but I assume the 1% chance is still used (I've never gotten a rare this way, either).

1% is correct.

but I've never seen the settlement message about the rarity window expanding (or the enchantment bonus increasing). Am I missing something? Is there a way for a villager to see if the deed is already at max?

c right click body manage settlement info, look under faith bonuses.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 11:04 AM, McGarnicle said:

Rare roll on creation is always 100%, if it's two parts.

On 10/20/2017 at 2:21 PM, Roccandil said:

My record is 5 rare 1 supreme shafts in an hour on one character, there's no limit on how many you can get in a certain period of time.

On 10/21/2017 at 2:03 AM, Roccandil said:

Creation of something with 3 or more parts is fine, it's just 2 part items it doesnt work on.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

Something else occurred to me: what if in a two-part creation both parts are rare? (like combining a rare longsword blade and a rare handle?) If that didn't result in a good chance for a rare, I'd be disappointed. :(

21 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

Something else occurred to me: what if in a two-part creation both parts are rare? (like combining a rare longsword blade and a rare handle?) If that didn't result in a good chance for a rare, I'd be disappointed. :(

Here's a helpful rhyme to help you remember: if it's simple creation, you will be disappointed.

• Like 2