Sign in to follow this  
koroth

Usable Traps on Freedom

So, I noticed a mission today requesting traps to be built on my server and it got me thinking. All of the traps can be built and improved on Freedom, which is good skill gain for us, but they are otherwise completely useless (unless selling to Chaos). I would like to see them able to be set and used against hostile mobs on Freedom. Seeing as I've never seen them in actual use, I don't know how powerful they are, so perhaps limiting their placement to only within deed borders or something to that effect might help limit them being placed all over the servers. Community Thoughts?

• Like 4

Imping them doesn't actually give you traps skill, only planting them does. Having traps at least damage aggros would be a nice start for sure :) +1

• Like 2

The issue with triggering on agro mobs is that your traps would get triggered fairly quickly by wandering animals, and if your target is a player on a pvp server, a wild animal would not be your intended target.  I could understand this being useful on freedom though. 

Traps have so little benefit compared to their effort required to produce that they are almost never used in pvp anyways, so any changes to promote their use would be a good thing.  Planting traps strategically in pvp could spice things up a bit and make it a little more exciting

edit: The only time traps get planted on epic is usually when they are obtained for free at high quality at the depot spawn.  Even then they are usually dropped and ignored.  Surprisingly traps were used a lot on the Desolation 3 Wurm unlimited pvp server.  They had buffed damage and people roamed enough that they were more likely to be ridden over before they decayed away, and with the faster action timers they weren't as painful to produce.  I ended up spamming pole and stick traps everywhere on that server until i got 70 traps skill. I actually ended up catching @Propheteerand @Darklordswith them at one point in a "minefield" of 50+ traps and enjoyed using traps on that server because they actually were pretty useful for their effort there

Edited by Alexgopen

It has been suggested before by others but we could add new hunting traps like snares which would catch rabbits or something similar over time. That gives a valid way to grind traps and use them on freedom but would take some new models and mechanics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

The issue with triggering on agro mobs is that your traps would get triggered fairly quickly by wandering animals, and if your target is a player on a pvp server, a wild animal would not be your intended target.  I could understand this being useful on freedom though.

The original suggestion included allowing these traps only within deed borders, perhaps one good middle ground for this is a deed setting that causes traps on deed and its perimeter to be triggered by animals. Makes traps work on freedom, but limited to deeds (Because everywhere else they remain useless), and doesn't block chaos villages to use traps against animals by separate server settings.

Make some new creatures for hunting that you can only find by using traps.  Rabbit meat, squirrel meat, etc...

Brings back the idea of Earth Worms from gardening.  Using worms for bait gives you chance at rare fish instead of being on the tile...

• Like 1

want. traps. to. kill. seals... +1 (and to anyoneg thinking i'm mad go sail around newspring in xanadu and count the seals. bet you give up after 2 minutes of counting)

22 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

Isn't this already the case on pvp?  Moons ago a trap was attemped at a battle camp with traps for horses, and wild animals like rats were triggering the traps.  We tried a trap on hota on old ele with like 50 traps on the steppe for JK and they found it and used bison to trigger them all allegedly.  I tested a 90ql trap on an untamed hell horse to see how much damage it'd do and it killed it.

• Like 1