Sign in to follow this  
MightySheep

Paid Name Change - a new way to make revenue?

With all the account sales and whatnot I bet there is quite a lot of people who'd be willing to pay something like $10 for a name change.

It's your loss not to offer this service.

And with the rejuvenated debate about banning account sales, I'm sure no one would see this as exploiting a problematic state of affairs for ones own profit.

But this would address one concern, which is reputation attached to a name, and the suggestion ties into a greater question that I'd rather ask at this point: Would streamlined support of account sales help the issue altogether? Account sales entail risks and dangers that CCAB doesn't take any warranty for because it happens outside of their boundaries, so it's "fair play". Yet they "condone" it, which in this constellation seems akin to throwing the towel and retreating from something that should be your area of competence. But that's just my cynical interpretation, the important thing to take away for me is this:

Rather than throwing gas into the fire of the status quo, CCAB should imho either

- Just ban it and completely dissociate from account sales.

or

- Implement a streamlined ingame approach that takes away the risks, adds accountability, manages permissions properly. I have an idea for how it could work aswell, but even streamlining account sales will not eliminate player concerns about its impact "skill ecology" of Wurm, which is a debate all on its own.

I'm bringing this up because obviously, a streamlined approach could also include the much needed name change when transferring accounts, it's a fair point that I have to give you here, but I'd rather see it as part of a package that is properly supported by the devs rather than saying "Hey, I don't care what you do, but if you happen to not get screwed over in the battlefield we deliberately let happen at our porch, why not give us some more money aswell while you're at it?". This is a bandaid on a flesh wound at best, and a terrible business practice at worst.

There is a case to be made for name changes altogether, perhaps not just for people who bought an account, but I have to -1 a name change implemented in this fashion.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 1

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/28599-change-ingame-name/
https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/82071-player-name-change/

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/103637-character-name-change/

I personally agree, that we could use a character name change facility to ease the frustrations many feel toward the account market.
If... accounts that have changed their character name, have to show the previous character names on an info screen that others can read.

Buying and selling accounts does fuel. alot of financial attention into the game, new blood and all that, but i do understand the flaws and subterfuges that exploit the system as it stands. 

I'm all for it, i added to the petition when we were trying to convince Mojang

I need forum name change. Made a mistake while naming lol.

Also a penalty or donation to wurm to unlock any alt.

+1, with rampant account sales, I see no need to force folks to buy a new toon to change rep, charge 100$ per name change.

• Like 1

this is a terrible idea.... it would just promote more account selling and hasten the demise of wurms already poor community record as the most pay to win game in existance

22 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

+1, with rampant account sales, I see no need to force folks to buy a new toon to change rep, charge 100$ per name change.

+1 from me. 

You could accomplish this by simply adding a /whois command with the name for an alias history. 

Edit: I say "simply" but I don't mean to discredit the amount of work that this would require. 

Edited by Tehangel2

the only revenue that will help wurm is new players who start paying for monthly accounts, nothing else will make any differance

• Like 1

+1 but only if there is a whois or history so that players with bad reputation can not hide. 

bad enough we allow account sales this just makes the issue even worse

but if its only 10 bucks id probably change my name to xxxsunkistgodxxx

• Like 1

From a PvP point of view, it would have to be limited for example to one name change per year and would require a global announcement, the name of a character on a PvP server provides a huge amount of backdrop to their ability in the field and trustworthiness or toxicity.

Can’t imagine the head ache it would cause for kingdom perms, deed perms, building perms, vehicle perms, container perms, merchant contracts etc. I can imagine support tickets coming out of the wazoo on this one.

Also think past names would have to be locked for use to new characters and possibly available to be reused by the original owner.

Edited by Middi

+1, My name sounds like an injured donkey trying to sing back-up in a country song. Plz help me

+1

I'm in favor of character re-customization after creation, more money for CCAB and lets people correct unfortunate naming/design decisions.

Idea: A toggle option that makes it so a character's original name is displayed prominently, like an extra title.

Ex. Darmalus changes name to Blarp.

Toggle off: Blarp [Farmer]

Toggle on: Blarp {Darmalus} [Farmer]