Sign in to follow this  
Budda

Some Epic Things

I think in the interest of the wurm community, please push this through sooner rather then later, more talking won't achieve anything positive and the wurm community doesn't need anymore fragmentation. That the merger is now happening after months and months of it *not* happening seems apparent. If so fine.  Congrats to the epic players. Lets move on and play wurm rather then engage in one of the best forum battles I've seen in a good while. I looked at a screenshot from 2013 impalong, wurm had 800+ toons logged in. I don't know what the plans are but anything that helps wurm grow moving forward is a good thing in my book, even if it's unpleasant for some folks for a little while in the short term.

• Like 4

Just to clarify because some seem to have misunderstood it, this change effectively reverses the 2x skillgain,

As your skill goes up, the amount of ticks required goes up, this means that it gets very slow on the high end of the scale, double skillgain doesnt mean if epic = 80 freedom = 40,infact, more than half the skill ticks of getting to 80 would be in the 70-80 bracket! 

This formula simply reverses the 2x skilltick size and accounts for that growth, if they'd spent the time grinding the skill on freedom, they'd be at 73. Not that huge a difference in the end, and not half. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Epic to freedom will be one time 

Freedom to epic will always be possible, with allowances for any deaths on epic 

What does "allowances for any deaths on epic" mean? Is that an abuse-prevention system?

Retro how about body stats? and skill that were not curved, or faith ?

2 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

What does "allowances for any deaths on epic" mean? Is that an abuse-prevention system?

Yeah, we'll be looking at what we can do to avoid people jumping back to freedom and then epic again to "refresh" skills lost upon death 

3 minutes ago, elroth said:

Retro how about body stats? and skill that were not curved, or faith ?

while not on the curve, they're still at 2x gains. faith will not transfer 

• Like 1

So if I go to freedom on solarblade from epic, get some nice skills and cross back to epic, my epic skills will refresh and possibly be higher one day, that's cool. 

But I am worried that my 53 body str account will suddenly be 42. I just think with the sweet spots I used to get my body str, it's a very hard hit, cause my 'low skills' are no longer low so I've missed those spots, it's gonna be VERY hard for me to gain this back on freedom under freedom ticks
I would say just let us keep body stats and I say this with the biggest please you'd ever hear, because basically you're just nerfing our accounts permanently, it will always be clear what accounts came from epic and what didn't.

oh you're 80 smithing, weapon smithing, shield smithing, digging mining and woodcutting? Why you 45 body str, I'm 55. "im from epic"

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 6

I still think that this is a bad move for Wurm Online, and there is no benefit either for PvP or PvE.

We don't have that many players, and feebly trying to maintain 2 separate PvP environments (Epic, Chaos) is futile.

Best case for this solution is that Chaos is dead (if it is not already?), and Freedom will lose lots of players to Epic, and be even more empty than it is now.

Honestly I think the reasoning behind this is that the entire dev team knows that it won't work, but they will allow long term players to transfer accounts to Freedom and sell out.

Focus on Freedom and Chaos, and instead of dumbing down the game even more on Epic, and make new players reach 90 in no time, to feel relevant, make stats matter 90% at 50, in combat related skills, and something like 90% at 25-30 in body stats. 

Well since my first character some 1700 plus days ago I have always played on epic, never had a desire to stray over to Freedom.  Since I have no desire to play on the new Weekend Epic Adventure Park for Freedomers I have already started turning the lights off.  I'll be gone in 24hrs.  So Freedom doesn't have to worry about me bringing over my current four accounts and my nasty Lib priest who wouldn't be allowed anyway.  I wish everyone, and WURM, the best of luck with the changes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grumpysmith said:

Well since my first character some 1700 plus days ago I have always played on epic, never had a desire to stray over to Freedom.  Since I have no desire to play on the new Weekend Epic Adventure Park for Freedomers I have already started turning the lights off.  I'll be gone in 24hrs.  So Freedom doesn't have to worry about me bringing over my current four accounts and my nasty Lib priest who wouldn't be allowed anyway.  I wish everyone, and WURM, the best of luck with the changes.

sorry to see you go

• Like 1

As a side note to complaints brought up about the new skilling system that will be implemented on Epic, I’ll be looking into some tweaks to make skill gain less reliant on creation spam before the update goes live.

I'm hoping this doesn't mean you'll be giving up on replacing the 1.01 - 39.99 RNG leveling system. :( Even if skill gain wouldn't be any faster overall, I still want to be wanting higher QL tools so I can skill up better, instead of the current oddness of trying to achieve some sort of Goldilocks QL on my tools.

Budda and Dev team:  Great work!  FYI, no matter what you do, there will be 100+ people complaining that it is unfair.  But it is amazingly fair.  No other game I know would devs go to such lengths to try and accommodate all players needs.  Pull the trigger and end the madness.  The sooner you pull the rotten tooth, the sooner everyone heals and the pain goes away.  I'm really excited for the change.

Once the change happens, will there be Epic and Freedom versions of the same character, or are they going to be ONLY Epic or Freedom from then on?  This might have been covered already, but it is hard to keep up with everything.  I'd strongly suggest that people have to choose one or the other and no going back ever.  End of the Epic portal.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, whykillme said:

Maybe they should epicmaggadon epic and just be done with it

Great idea!

Huge +1

From the perspective of someone relatively new to the game, and only having ever played on Epic, I have to admit that this talk makes me a little nervous.  I'll admit that I don't fully understand it, though.  It seems that there are frustrations from people who have played for years and don't feel like they want to grind from square one to move to a different land  Still, I have to say that if all this is going to do is dump a who bunch of ultra-high level folks onto either Epic or Chaos... creating an overall situation where PvP is basically so high it's impossible for a new Player to engage, until after a couple years of grinding, there isn't much incentive for new Players to join in the fun. Just limiting it to a small elite who go back and forth at will.  Am I reading that right?

To me, so far, Epic has been a really fun place to play, with lots of hunts and a pretty wide variety of content.  It lets you develop skills on home server in relative safety, with the ability to move to more serious PvP once they're comfortable with the game mechanics and have met a few folks.  It's a great concept.  And it's a pretty great community.  Please don't get me wrong - I really like the idea of having more people on the servers, but it would be nice to have a broader range of Player strengths and experience.  And I wonder if the discussions here on the forums, given the audience of mostly longtime Players (many of whom, I gather, no longer play anyway), just naturally makes it appear that this is more of a priority than trying to attract new folks to the game (like maybe rebuilding the tutorial, for a start)?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Budda said:

With every test I’ve done using this, the full run to 100 skill on Epic tends to take around 50-55% the needed skill checks that would be on Freedom.

Why would 100 skill transfer across then? That would be very unfair and will make everybody who ground a skill up to 100 on Freedom feel really dumb about their choices.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Grumpysmith said:

See ya later grumps, we'll try to recreate the aff community somewhere on the other cluster, if (when) you get the itch again.

• Like 1

what I wanna know is this OUR body stamina on epic only just got a kinda fix to it and I'm guessing that it was not now right & we got some kind of bonus bk for it. cause Rolf took that away from epic for whatever reason it came down too.

so how are u gonna work our stam out since we got fcked from start with it got some kinda bonus bk now gonna get fcked again?

pls answer this guys pls

Epic accounts on freedom destroy market... Too much account with 100 skill on epic..

• Like 1

u guys are like "weee weee everyone has 100 skill in everything" like everybody has 100 skill lol i dont even have a skill that hit 90 bc we all skill towards the curve like 99% ov epic... but u freedom guys dont understand that apperantly

• Like 1

I'm curious if it is being made possible to move from the Freedom and Epic clusters (subject to skill mergers). Is there any benefit to having Affliction, Desertion, Serenity and Elevation AND Chaos?

Would this not be the ideal time to have a single PVP server, similar to the currently proposed new Epic map with increased action timers (Benefits to playing in PVP similar to the ore cap's of old). This single map could be accessed via portals or server crossings so the community can FINALLY play together, with the PVP servers not feel so empty and lackluster. I imagine alot of the PVP community wish to have more people to fight against and with?

The only thing to consider are players that skill up/craft on the PVP server who bring items to Freedom, but this could be countered by limited item transfers (e.g. 100 items) and the risk of pirates at sea.

• Like 2

Freedom transfer to epic I say yes but epic to freedom NOOOOOO

• Like 1