Sign in to follow this  
Martynas5

Specs for server

Haven't found much info in forums. Anyone know what server specs you need for 4k and 8k maps ( including appropriate animal amount)

I run a 4k on a i5 with 8 gigs and solid state drive.  Runs well with 20 players on and 50000 animals.  

4k runs pretty well on either of my dell poweredge 2950s.  Both have 32gb ram and dual 2.66ghz quad cores.  Only difference between them is one is four 1tb hdds in raid10 and the other is two 500gb in a raid1.  My poweredge 1950 with one 3.0ghz quad core and 4gb ram was able to run a 4k server but did suffer consistent lag, understandably.  These machines are 10 years old or so now, the 1950 even more so.  The ram in each of these three machines are all DDR2 server memory, not fast by today's standards.  All my drives are 7.2k SATA III for lower replacement costs.  If I was to host a game server I'd be looking for SAS 15k drives or lower cost SSD drives for speed.  If you ever do raid, don't go minimal, always plan for failure, never use raid5, and always make regular backups offserver.

All these are on a 100mb (10mb up) home internet connection with just me mucking about.

You will see MUCH better results if on a dedicated machine (like my dell rack servers) when on a datacenter connection.  Don't host your server at home unless you have high upload speeds and static IP from ISP.  If you had business class hosting at home, possibly might do alright as you'll have better speeds, *hopefully* reliability, and ideally better customer service.

No matter where you host it, latency will always be your enemy.  Hosting in the US will give EU players more lag, hosting in the EU will give US players more lag. 

Just my 2 cents, may or may not be 100% correct :P

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

Some good advice here. Would also suggest considering what type of Wurm server you are setting up, PVE or PVP? In my experience PVE players generally tolerate lag a lot better then PVP ones do. Consider upsizing your specs if you intend to host a busy PVP server.

Some people run on Windows others on Linux. Linux tends to be lower licensing wise and you can easily script things like automated backups, automatic restarts (especially when a server crash occurs).

Oh yes, anti-DDOS protection is a good idea too especially in the PVP world. Many hosting providers have that option as part of their price for a dedicated server. I would never again have a PVP server without the anti-DDOS option.

Hope that helps, good luck!

~Nappy

Edited by Nappy
  • Like 1

Right now i'm running 3x 2048-sized servers with 36k creatures each + 1x 1024 sized server with no creatures (login server)

All of them run on a single linux box with an i7 990x CPU (6 cores, 12 threads, 3.46 GHz), 32GB noname DDR3 1066 RAM (~7GB utilized by WU servers) and 120GB OCZ VERTEX3 SSD dedicated to WU data. There's also plenty of other stuff running on the same box and the CPU is more idle than not, so i could throw in a few more WU servers on it easily.

In general, from my experience:

Forget about 8k or 16k maps if you want a lag free game. Even CC can't manage that (see: Xanadu).

In general you are better off running multiple smaller maps as a cluster than one huge map.

RAM - You need less than 1 GB for a 1024 map, ~2GB for a 2048 map, ~5GB for a 4096. That's only for the server process, not including the OS and other stuff.

CPU - Get the best single core performance you can, server is mostly single threaded

SSD - Must have for a 4096 map with reasonable creature counts. Nice to have for 2048 maps. read/write throughput mostly does nothing, latency is the main problem (so you are better off with a cheapo SSD than a very expensive "enterprise" magnetic drive).

If you can afford to get a good, low latency, hardware RAID card - go for it, but those are usually not cheap. Otherwise don't bother with RAID and figure out how to do automated online backups every few hours :P

Edited by bdew
  • Like 4

Xenon E5645 * 2

72gb RAM

Online ~100 in primetime, 8k map, WU on RAM Disk

===

SSD + 4k map = huge lags with 50+ players.

Edited by DiWorm
  • Like 1

Ereb Altor 8k map.

100k animals

6-core i7 3930K - 4.3GHz

32GB ram

Samsung 850 EVO

Running with ram-drive (ssd can't handle the load).

Edited by Jukken

1 hour ago, bigsteve said:

I am surprised that no one has mentioned thread thrashing....

Good point. Read some of the performance tuning message threads on the WU forums as well. Lots of things there that help. Also periodically getting rid of excess shards, logs, fallen trees, stumps, dirt piles also helps especially if you are on a server with high skill gains in short time periods. People seem to see the Woodcutter title flashing at them....