Sign in to follow this  
FranktheTank

Ban the sale of accounts

If you were to ban the sale of accounts then it would have to be illegal to have 'bicycle' accounts as well, or just letting a friend log in on your account to do some imping or crafting with skills they don't have, would also have to ban the use of proxy servers at the same time, because how else would you be able to track account sharing/sales.

9 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

If you were to ban the sale of accounts then it would have to be illegal to have 'bicycle' accounts as well, or just letting a friend log in on your account to do some imping or crafting with skills they don't have, would also have to ban the use of proxy servers at the same time, because how else would you be able to track account sharing/sales.

+1 to all this! jake is a genius

edit: and it would actually be pretty easy to if there was a double-authentication system for logging into wurm :)

Edited by Evilreaper

Really dislike this idea. Alot of families, couples, best friends share accounts. Alot live at the same address - how would you even police that? Seems like a waste of time trying to enforce new rules when nothing is wrong with the system we have got where right now people are free to do whatever they like with their own accounts.

1 minute ago, Iberis said:

Really dislike this idea. Alot of families, couples, best friends share accounts. Alot live at the same address - how would you even police that? Seems like a waste of time trying to enforce new rules when nothing is wrong with the system we have got where right now people are free to do whatever they like with their own accounts.

the problem is that its toxic... why would new players want to stay and skill up their toon when they realize that others are sharing and skilling up 2x faster?

I don't think it is toxic.  I have seen new players that at one point said they could never compete that are now some of the biggest merchants/casters around.

+1 :ph34r: got all the accounts i need so let's stop new players plastic-carding their way to my level. 100% agree, top idea. What acc will you use these days?

Edited by Mclavin

18 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

the problem is that its toxic... why would new players want to stay and skill up their toon when they realize that others are sharing and skilling up 2x faster?

It may be toxic for the pvp aspect but I don't mind it on freedom, I love my main and dislike the idea of buying an account just to get skills you need. I did that once when I first went to chaos and just couldn't use it as a main for pvp, didn't feel right. I have bought a few accounts over the years, second time was for a care taker to look after my freedom deeds while my main was on chaos, and a few other low skill accounts just for utility. It is a nice feature actually and it does not hurt the game much other than the pvp aspect where you have people who just play for the 5-10 minutes of instant gratification then log out again. 

It is just nice knowing that if you ever did want to pack things in and move on, your account does have some monetary value, although I am a hoarder and would never sell my main off anyways.

22 minutes ago, Iberis said:

Seems like a waste of time trying to enforce new rules when nothing is wrong with the system we have got where right now people are free to do whatever they like with their own accounts.

Except that there is something very wrong with the existing system; it is losing wurm online "whales".

Players who buy accounts are more likely to sink cash into the game, the trouble is they are leaving shortly after they make their first few payments because they already "won" the game (perfect deed, perfect tools etc).  It also screws up the feeling of achievement other players have; why should I bother grinding to 75 channeling when a guy who just started the game bought an account with 90 channeling?  It cheapens the experience for everyone.

Drive the market underground, it is enforcable (not going to say how, but it is).

2 minutes ago, Pashka said:

I don't think it is toxic.  I have seen new players that at one point said they could never compete that are now some of the biggest merchants/casters around.

23 minutes ago, Iberis said:

there is always extreme circumstances where people slip through the cracks or defy the normal... but at current its upside down... why are getting good people to stay the extreme circumstances and people playing their own toons defying the normal... this is why its killing wurm, this toxicity is a disease thats gradually getting worse... when i first started wurm was flourishing and the account sales almost never happened... and now its the exact opposite there is less people online in wurm than indy used to have online on the daily... 

every game has its toxic people that share or sell/buy accounts and slip thru the cracks but i would rather have 1% than 70% of this toxicity

There is a certain envy/jealousy when a high end account gets bought up for a few thousand more putting a dream out of reach for the average player and perhaps that is mostly where the hatred of account selling stems from.

so you're toxic to share accounts? But if you gave me your item to enchant for free, that's ok? But asking you to log on cause i cba is toxic? What

25 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

there is always extreme circumstances where people slip through the cracks or defy the normal... but at current its upside down... why are getting good people to stay the extreme circumstances and people playing their own toons defying the normal... this is why its killing wurm, this toxicity is a disease thats gradually getting worse... when i first started wurm was flourishing and the account sales almost never happened... and now its the exact opposite there is less people online in wurm than indy used to have online on the daily... 

every game has its toxic people that share or sell/buy accounts and slip thru the cracks but i would rather have 1% than 70% of this toxicity

I'm not sure when you started the game.  While I do see more accounts up anytime there is  talk of anything that might be game changing, I saw more accounts actually being sold for much higher dollar values back in the day than now.  Accounts came and went that were both really nice accounts and some that were nothing more than a starter account.  Now an account that should be worth alot is down to maybe 3-400.  That is nothing more than the fact that the game has gotten older.  There are less people playing.  If the game could be brought back (yes I know that the devs are trying in their way to do that) then the market will come back with the influx of people.  There will always be some people that wish to work their own character up and others that will just buy a character for whatever reason.

14 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Guys this is not simply about pvp.

If you continue to let accounts cycle around in the freedom market you continue to allow extremely high level account with 10+ years of age make goods and products at ridiculously high levels to the point where it saturates a market blocking newer players from accessing the same market as sellers. If people who quit, just quit instead of having a platform to sell this creates more competition than having that character perpetually in the market.

Ban account sales and all the bulk material suppliers and high end crafters will hang up their hats and make way for the little guy coming through... doubtful

I dare to say they will continue until they die or the game dies,  whichever comes first, money motivates.

• Like 1

Banning them would not stop them from happening, just make it more fraud prone. Better they happen in the open.

I am also unconvinced that sold accounts are a source of the problems they are associated with, rather than a symptom.

But if you really want to stop accounts from being sold, have CCAB start buying accounts from players when they wish to be done with the game for silver based on total skills (this could be automated). Then CCAB deletes the character and the person has silver to sell for real $ on the open market. People still get to cash out and those high skill accounts are gone forever.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

There is a certain envy/jealousy when a high end account gets bought up for a few thousand more putting a dream out of reach for the average player and perhaps that is mostly where the hatred of account selling stems from.

I think Jakerivers just hit the nail on the head. I think those that want to ban other people from deciding what to do with their own accounts are doing so for their own selfish reasons. As I've said before, let people do what they want with their accounts, they own them after all. I still don't see any problem at all despite one being mentioned.

The little guys in my village (mostly brand new players) are all doing fine earning money ingame and trading to pay for their premium. There is no problem with this - it's just whining from what I can tell.

Also to say that buying/selling accounts or sharing is toxic? I think you need to look up what that term means. I certainly don't consider myself as such and I have brought accounts and sometimes use other peoples. That doesn't make me a bad person just because I do that. It's like having a kingdom priest.. is everyone in the kingdom toxic because there is a shared priest?

But if you really want to stop accounts from being sold, have CCAB start buying accounts from players when they wish to be done with the game for silver based on total skills (this could be automated). Then CCAB deletes the character and the person has silver to sell for real $ on the open market. People still get to cash out and those high skill accounts are gone forever.

As I said above. Alot of new players (myself included) would have never started playing wurm if we had to start from scratch. Especially those who have started on wurm unlimited or have sold out in the past and wanted to return to the game. I don't see how bringing new people into the game is a bad thing or toxic. It's great!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darmalus said:

This is not actually the worst idea I have ever heard.  The ability to retire (completely remove) a character in return for some ingame assets (minimum character age/skill levels required to retire, capped in some way by total character premium time?).

+1 Banning account sales would definitely be a step in the right direction.

It seems since Wurm attaches a monetary value to the coin used for all purchases it's only natural that every single thing that exists has a value attached to it whether you like it or not, if this was a mmo from years ago where all coin was generated from creature kills this argument would have a bit more merit.

From Traders, to Dragon kills, to Rifts, rares etc., someone always is getting an advantage over someone else, I could be wrong but my understanding was Epic was the cure to old account bloat on the PVP side of things, it seems steps are being attempted to revive it from life support, it has the best opportunity for new players to compete if that's the argument against older accounts being re purposed.

What is the difference between older accounts and players that wont go away and old accounts that are purchased and continue to play, do you believe your only hope to be competitive in Wurm is through the attrition of older players to make new accounts worth playing, if that is the answer then the game design has issues instead of a population of older account issue.

If it just boils down to an issue of morality, that's a personal decision you make if you choose to buy and old account.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 0:37 PM, FranktheTank said:

probably ex nunc, what was done before is already done when the rules were as they were, only fair.

But isn't that literally the problem I am stating? People are treating this video game as a form of investment with a cash out option. It is supposed to be a video game made for fun and not much else, it it time to remove the equation.

I'm not concerned about what others do and don't let it bother my fun in the game. I still do my thing that I was going to do, regardless of whether or not an account was bought, it doesn't make any difference to me. If someone purchases a super account with all 90+ stats and skills and kills me with it, what's the difference between the person who bought it, or the original owner doing it? There's none to me. 

The only time I'm really affected by an account being sold, is whenever I had that person on my friends and they changed hands without me knowing. I think if sales were banned and move away form the forums, this would happen even more. It would impact people who don't sell or buy accounts, and that would suck, so -1

• Like 1

I don't see how it would affect over-all game play and environment at all. Just because someone has a perception of how a game "should" be, only speaks for themselves and their own idealistic crusade(s).

If you are against the selling of accounts, don't sell yours and justify your existence and moral superiority . Just don't presume you can tell me what to do with mine,

I may not share your morals or require a gold star from the community to make me feel good about something that never really affected me in the first place.

• Like 1

I don't think morals come into this.  It seems to me to be something different.  

I'd like it to slow down skill inflation. Good accounts don't go away...and they only get better with time.

Let the mid level crafters have a bit of the spotlight.

1 minute ago, Hailene said:

I'd like it to slow down skill inflation. Good accounts don't go away...and they only get better with time.

Let the mid level crafters have a bit of the spotlight.

Or to put it differently I hope all the old players quit so I sell my stuff, that was tried already with Pristine and Release.