Sign in to follow this  
FranktheTank

Ban the sale of accounts

+1 if account sales were never possible then the avg skill sets would be much lower rather than passing on stats that aren't earned, removing the flood of 60-70 str accounts in pvp

• Like 2

Yes I purchased a couple accounts myself , one so brother would play and be same lvl  , that was a washout dam jerk...

Also I used ingame silver to buy a battery priest , so money was ingame coin....

How ever we  have all seen what RMT can do problem wise ....Niru and later auction to fix it...

Plus this has been asked before and mentioned before..

Its best the dev s focus on the current game issues and future updates..

11 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Yes I purchased a couple accounts myself , one so brother would play and be same lvl  , that was a washout dam jerk...

Also I used ingame silver to buy a battery priest , so money was ingame coin....

How ever we  have all seen what RMT can do problem wise ....Niru and later auction to fix it...

Plus this has been asked before and mentioned before..

Its best the dev s focus on the current game issues and future updates..

It is known that when you buy an account your gaming experience will eventually become empty and lackluster. People that do this, usually end up quitting, the rare chance they keep playing is low if at all. We do have a few players who indeed buy accounts and have been for years but those that do this usually do it to make some cash or for pvp reasons and those accounts get rotated quite often. 

You shouldn't be forced or feel the need to have to own a high level account. This is a extremely game breaking aspect of Wurm in pvp. When you have literal god accounts and the only way to defeat them is with large groups. The thing is most people don't see the point in pvp because of the gap, and the gap, well it's quite huge and people get discouraged by it. They resort to buying accounts. It is known.

One thing is certain here, if we cannot abolish account sales, the Devs could look into possible ways to ease the burden of pvp. Maybe they'll see the error of it eventually if we keep pressing them.

I love this, and I have mentioned it 100000 times before

Dont stop the sale of silver, just accounts - that will save the wurm economy

+1, Probably an effective way to start filtering out the older accounts that have been sold over and over. To reduce the number of high stat accounts in-game.

• Like 1

Other than a problem for PvP'ers who are still struggling to catch up, I don't see how this affects my day to day in Wurm.  If a bicycle account rides through my local I throw up a [   o/   ] all the same, and don't think another thing about it. 

Some of you just have way too much to worry about.  Others of you are just trying your best to kill the game for some reason.  Build your deed, grind your skills, or do whatever it is that brought you here (unless that was just to troll the game/forums) and enjoy. 

Before you assume, I have not bought, or sold, any accounts.

Price Check on Dorian!  Sorry I couldn't resist.  :P 

But seriously here is my 2 iron on it.  If I want a better boat, I can buy a better boat.  If I want a nicer deed, I can buy a nicer deed.  If I want a better character, why not just buy one?  I never have purchased or sold one personally, and I've often said when I stop playing Wurm, Dorian will simply ride off to the sunset on a fully equipped 5 speed horse, but I think with some type of 'rule', it should be ok to purchase an account. 

I would suggest that permissions, friends, village associations, etc. should be reset somehow if an account changes hands.  Sure, let the sold account keep his horse and cart and some stuff in his inventory, but that sold account shouldn't automatically have access to everything, including the reputation that the original owner spent time creating.

Basically if an account is sold, it automatically de-friends everyone and leaves any village or alliance so that the new owner doesn't have immediate access which is usually given by some form of trust that the previous owner worked hard to gain.  I realize the drama with chests and houses and things with that accounts tag, I'm just not smart enough to figure out that bit.  :)

It would also suggest a "new owner' tag or something so that even when chatting the name was followed by an * or something which could help identify an account that has changed hands at some point.

:)

18 minutes ago, Aaron_IRL said:

Other than a problem for PvP'ers who are still struggling to catch up, I don't see how this affects my day to day in Wurm.  If a bicycle account rides through my local I throw up a [   o/   ] all the same, and don't think another thing about it. 

Some of you just have way too much to worry about.  Others of you are just trying your best to kill the game for some reason.  Build your deed, grind your skills, or do whatever it is that brought you here (unless that was just to troll the game/forums) and enjoy. 

Before you assume, I have not bought, or sold, any accounts.

A lot of us have a inkling on the issues at hand and the staff are not always correct with what's best, sometimes players have excellent ideas on how to fix it, not always but sometimes. Unfortunately once in awhile development needs to cater to other aspects of the game like PVP not just PVE. I'm all for more racks don't get me wrong however they can wait! 

I'm also PVE but I see the PVP struggle and to be honest, it concerns me, as a loyal fan of a game - it's good to voice your opinion if you think it'll help. I don't think anyone here wants to hurt the game, that's just misinterpretation.

All games with PVP have growing pains if you wish to call it that.

Problem is there is no solution to it or quick fix.

The game should be based on skill not items .

I don't mean game skill I mean player skills in using what knowledge he has of game mechanics , weapons to use and so forth.

Not from uber tome of lighting strike or slime to make you smell bad...

That's what happens to PVP games they start to depend on rare items and such..

Ultima Online had some dam good PVP before think it was pub 16 or 32  , been to many years..:(

Then they started to add odd stats to weapons and armor to were you need kill or find rare items to make it , KISS should be the word for Wurm ... KEEP it SWEAT and SIMPLE!..

• Like 1

Personally I don't buy and sell for real money.  (sold silver once to a friend for cash but only once and not much that time)  Account sales are already at your own risk.  They are just widely known to happen.  They don't have much if any protection.  

Account sales
A ) Code Club AB condones account and item sales, as we believe that you have the right to capitalize on your investment in Wurm Online.
B ) We do not offer support or service and will not be held responsible for any remedial action or loss that occurs.
C ) All such activity (sales, auctions, trades, sharing) is entirely at your own risk.
D ) Change the password and e-mail address of acquired accounts. (You are solely responsible for the security of your accounts.) 

As you can see from the rules.  Niru was an exception to the rules.  He is also not the norm.  Most people buy and sell items, silver and accounts with no problem.  I do not have a problem with people buying and selling accounts because just as some people value money over time, some value time over money.  They are willing to pay for the account with the skills they simply do not have the time to grind up.  I know many that buy and sell accounts all the time.  I never know who they are going to turn up as.  Makes life interesting for sure.  And yes some of them have played this game as long as I have if not longer.

The rules also state that you should not share accounts.  We have so many bicycle accounts that it isn't funny.  Should those be banned as well as the sold accounts?  I don't think so but again just my 2 cents.

10 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

This has been brought up before and I am bringing it up again. The allowance of account sales is toxic to both the game and community and causes extreme problems both in game and out of game creating a hostile environment of money grabbing and credit card warriors.

Almost no modern video game allows for the sale of accounts whether with in game or real money, it is time Wurm caught up.

Not many games require the time involved to skill up, suppose if ban the sale of accounts be more noobs to faceroll.

-1 I'm the type of gamer that doesn't like to grind. I don't like long timers either. I bought Mavv account and my priest account not because I want to be awesome at pvp. But because after work I just want to play wurm 

and be able to do the things I do in game that a new account cant do. 

Not everyone buys an account to pvp with, but I can understand why they do it. Roll a new account and see just how painful it is to start over again and you can see why so many new players quit. Wurm can become like a second job real quick. 

Baramor

13 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

This has been brought up before and I am bringing it up again. The allowance of account sales is toxic to both the game and community and causes extreme problems both in game and out of game creating a hostile environment of money grabbing and credit card warriors.

Almost no modern video game allows for the sale of accounts whether with in game or real money, it is time Wurm caught up.

As much as I agree with you (really, I do), you're talking abuot the sale of accounts in a game that already lost ALOT of players due to Rolf shaking hands with Player Auctions, a website specializing in the under the table sale of game accounts (even in games which selling your account/character is not allowed).

Besides, even if devs made that desperate move and disallowed selling of the accounts, how that would be controlled?

Accounts would be sold anyway.

3 hours ago, Wargasm said:

As much as I agree with you (really, I do), you're talking abuot the sale of accounts in a game that already lost ALOT of players due to Rolf shaking hands with Player Auctions, a website specializing in the under the table sale of game accounts (even in games which selling your account/character is not allowed).

Heh, not finding Wurm online under player auctions :D

4 hours ago, Baramor said:

-1 I'm the type of gamer that doesn't like to grind. I don't like long timers either. I bought Mavv account and my priest account not because I want to be awesome at pvp. But because after work I just want to play wurm 

and be able to do the things I do in game that a new account cant do. 

Not everyone buys an account to pvp with, but I can understand why they do it. Roll a new account and see just how painful it is to start over again and you can see why so many new players quit. Wurm can become like a second job real quick. 

Baramor

This. a big -1 for because of that. Alot of wurm players want to be self sufficient and it is very hard with starting over and will take alot of time. If you look into actually playtime of semihigh end accounts and put into hours then you will see it will take years and years of heaver play not even talking about just after work a few hours of play. The heavy play suits people who have alot of time, but then again there is alot of people who would just like to drop in and play and have fun. Whats wrong with that? 

16 hours ago, Damascus said:

And wurm would die if RMT was stopped .

Only thing  that keeps Wurm going is the idea you can always cash out if you get bored.

This is a game that attracts players because of the option of buying and selling for real money.

Remove said option and this game would be dead in  6 months to a year .

There are to many games out there now that surpass Wurm , but they don't have RMT .

wurm is dying more rapidly because of it.... and no very few people are attracted to this real money trade except the toxic ones... look what happened on chaos with an entire PMK disbanding because of the lack of fair play because they were lazy and wanted to share a metric-######-ton of accounts with a whole lot of people and someone they didnt want got in on that jive... we cant even call wurm a game anymore because its just a job for most that play it... gotta farm silver for 12h a day to pay the rent...   it ruins it for the people who actually enjoy the game

Credit card warriors are ruining pvp.... nobody wants to play on a pvp server if their only options are A) get ###### becuase you suck or B ) spend tons more REAL money to buy someone elses trash just to have a descent chance... 

the toxicity of account selling goes so far beyond "im lazy and want to buy my skills" that its not even funny... on chaos 99% of kingdom title accounts are shared so instead of 1 person per title... nearly anyone in a given kingdom has access to the important titles? so if you dont share your account, your not elligible to have key titles in a kingdom... thats toxic as hell not to mention having these titles running 24/7 kinda makes them a joke why not just remove the title and make it a mechanic? like the title that allows people to see whos online on other kingdom offices... just make a widget on wurm website so the entire world can see whos online and remove this wasted title since this title is just stuck on a shared account so anyone can check it at any given moment 24/7/365 .

remove the half favor title since kingdoms abuse this title and share the seer/royal priest account becuase this gives an unfair advantage over a kingdom who gives this title to an actual player instead of a shared priest account...

these account sales come with a multitude of headaches for pve when an account is sold and it has perms to your village or what not, most of the time accounts are sold they dont take the time to message everyone who gave them perms to things to give them a heads up...  i cant tell you how many people i've deleted from friends list because i pm'd them and they were like "sorry i just bought this toon"

Take pride in yourself, your wurm toon is your digital representation of you... whoever you want you to be is up to you! if you buy your toon, its like going to the doctor and having them attach animal parts to your anatomy... sure it sounds nice to have a "footlong" but its highly frowned upon. Just like a common cold, attitudes are contagious and the general attitude of wurm when i first started was amazing, now its just all about selling EVERYTHING then cashing that in for euros, and account selling is extremely toxic for attitudes it makes old players resent new ones because they are pay 2 win

Toxic Economy... the account selling encourages even more market flooding so the account buyer can start earning his/her euros back... for a new player to earn anything in todays market is next to impossible even the prices of dirt has droped to 70c per 1k... its pretty sad when new players cant even sell bricks for 2s/k to buy prem because the market is so flooded with that too

help us make wurm a great GAME! and stop this down-spiraling fail-train of wurm online.  stopping the account selling this late in the game would not solve any immediate issues, but the sooner it stops the better off it will be in the long run.

• Like 3

I would have never gotten into Wurm Online had I not been able to get an account, these are my reasons. I have an unholy amount of hours put into wurm unlimited and that is where I started playing wurm. It's rare apparantly to see players start on Wurm Unlimited and then move to Wurm Online but it happens and with all those recent sales in Wurm Unlimited on steam I can see alot more players wanting to come across in the future the same way I did.

Now after spending so many hours into my character on Wurm Unlimited and grinding up skills I really did not want to have to start from scratch again. After 3000+ hours of grinding a character you don't then want to lose /all/ your progress. I ended up buying Hexd because it allowed me to jump straight in and try PVP which was a new experience for me. It allowed me to have a toon that almost matched my Wurm Unlimited one.

It's easy to say "let's ban the trading of accounts for X reason" however there are a multitude of reasons why people desire to either buy or sell a character and most reasons are harmless and alot even benefit the game and the community.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Besides, even if devs made that desperate move and disallowed selling of the accounts, how that would be controlled?

Accounts would be sold anyway.

We covered how this would be done a few times in thread.

Its a player market. If a person makes a pickaxe, they can improve and sell it. If a person makes a toon, they can improve and sell it. If a player does not want to level blacksmithing, but wants to level weaponsmithing, he will probably need a pickaxe from somebody else to get a supply of good iron/steel. If a player does not want to spend time leveling much, and wants to just enjoy the game, he will probably need to spend a lot of money on a toon thats on sale. 

20 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

https://www.epicnpc.com/forums/89-MMORPG-Buy-Sell-Trade-Accounts

Pretty sure whenever an account is sold, a player joins wurm. Not sure if that is considered bad or not. Rather have a person leave and somebody jump on their account than a bunch of people just leaving.

5 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

We covered how this would be done a few times in thread.

This assumption

There are ways to insure that people can't sell accounts in a shady matter also, paypal records, credit card receipts, even IP checks. If the account's IP changes it's location randomly over night for example, changes villages etc it could be investigated. I think some small effort would really help the game.

is invalid, as were explained in this thread.

2 hours ago, Wilczan said:

This assumption

is invalid, as were explained in this thread.

Not allowing the sale of accounts would create inherent risk that will cause less people to perform in the action. 

2 hours ago, Yiraia said:

Its a player market. If a person makes a pickaxe, they can improve and sell it. If a person makes a toon, they can improve and sell it. If a player does not want to level blacksmithing, but wants to level weaponsmithing, he will probably need a pickaxe from somebody else to get a supply of good iron/steel. If a player does not want to spend time leveling much, and wants to just enjoy the game, he will probably need to spend a lot of money on a toon thats on sale. 

https://www.epicnpc.com/forums/89-MMORPG-Buy-Sell-Trade-Accounts

Pretty sure whenever an account is sold, a player joins wurm. Not sure if that is considered bad or not. Rather have a person leave and somebody jump on their account than a bunch of people just leaving.

It still causes extreme problems down the road in both pvp and economic aspects.

Whats the problem here really, it is not the sale of accounts, it is the amount of time it takes to get to a competitive skill level for PvP. Accounts like the ones that are bought and sold will always be present regardless. The long and short of it is players will always be at both ends of skill spectrum and everywhere in between too, a lot of people here have been around for a decade or more, how does someone new to wurm come in and compete against that, they just can't, so I don't see how banning the sale of accounts will achieve anything imo...

I just spent the last 12 months (in and around my RL commitments) grinding my PvP related skills such as archery, overall fighting, the sub fighting skills, shields, shield bashing, a range of weapons, animal taming etc. and the worst of all soul destroying meditation, but I'm still a long way off the bar. Now my grinding has shifted focus to crafting skills to get the body stats that will finally get me over the line so I can compete with the big boys... or at least that is what I tell myself to keep motivated that eventually I'll catch up and be able to focus on enjoying the game instead of grinding my life away chasing the curve.

But.... and there is always a but, I fear I've got a long way to go yet, I need to stack at least another 10-15 overall body and body strength and for sure need to find a way to acquire some tomes and they are difficult to come by without deep pockets, which I don't have... so I need to get lucky in finding uniques before the same old folks that always find the uniques find the uniques, which means I need to grind a priest too on the side for reveal creatures, I would also need to be able to drop a deed to protect my unique, then find enough players to slay the unique and hope to god it drops a tome and that someone doesn't steal it at the slay... and this rant could go on and on...

Short of taking player characteristics out of the equation for PvP I don't see how you can make it that much quicker for people to get into combat at a competitive level, even removing just characteristics it would still require considerable time investment. Of course the counter is always in the numbers and knowing How To PvP regardless of skills, if you have the numbers and the know how then the skills are secondary.

Guys this is not simply about pvp.

If you continue to let accounts cycle around in the freedom market you continue to allow extremely high level account with 10+ years of age make goods and products at ridiculously high levels to the point where it saturates a market blocking newer players from accessing the same market as sellers. If people who quit, just quit instead of having a platform to sell this creates more competition than having that character perpetually in the market.

People will still sell and will still give their accounts to others.  Same here as in any game.  Just here we happen to know about the ones that get sold and sometimes the ones that are given away.  I like having it out in the open so you know.