Sign in to follow this  
Malvado

Testing out Wurm from a new/old perspective.

So I gave inn after getting hold on Wurm unlimited for 1$ ( actually spent 10 on the pack to get all the borderland games ) and gave it a go :

*Game is just like before, everything takes time like woodcutting and any kind of crafting.

*Combat was an incredible experience which almost reminded me of the old good days where you could stand and watch the text without almost doing anything , wait, I actually did stand still watching a wolf attack me and a green bar going down for a while. Won.

Visually it was an improvement over what I last saw in 2008as an active player,  but it seems that things havent really changed from what the basic game was.

To be honest I had expected things to change a bit more than they have actually done, I might have been a bit stupid since I found no way to see my character from behind actually doing something ( 3rd person perspective ) and it seemed you would still have to click a lot to get things done instead of just scheduling a task and having your character mine out an area of an mine without having to click for each piece of ore mined.

So after around 1 hour of checking things out ( couldnt do a lot in that time ) I hit the exit key and uninstalled.

To be honest I believe this is not necessary bad or good, old players are still enjoying what they get from Wurm, however I think that new players will probably keep away from it after having tested it out for a while and just a minority will play it due to how games have changed in the last 10 years.

Hopefully Wurm unlimited and Online will grow in player numbers and you will all have an enjoyable time.

1 hour ago, Malvado said:

I found no way to see my character from behind actually doing something ( 3rd person perspective ) and it seemed you would still have to click a lot to get things done instead of just scheduling a task and having your character mine out an area of an mine without having to click for each piece of ore mined.

Did you know?  Player Files --> configs --> <your config> --> gamesettings.txt --> thirdPerson=true will make your view third person?

I guess not. :P

Keep seeing these posts and I laugh, ackwardly ofc, everytime...

Obviously something is going right because the Official servers are still up, development is more in overdrive then it ever has been before, and WU suddenly just got a massive boost in number of units/(steam keys) sold which will only help spread word.  So long as the entire endeavor stays profitable to sustain costs and interest is there, it's only natural to assume it'd grow.  Sounds like Wurm still has a lot of life left to me. 

Oh but what do I know, I stare at my screen watching my green bars going down all day...

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

Obviously something is going right because the Official servers are still up, development is more in overdrive then it ever has been before, and WU suddenly just got a massive boost in number of units/(steam keys) sold which will only help spread word

Thinking something is, when it isn't. The recent reviews on steam (helped by a $1 humble bundle grab) are pretty piss poor. That doesn't exactly "spread the word" in a way that anyone wants.

The servers are up, but development is no more different than it was. The difference is that the premium numbers, even post WU #rolfcashgrab release, are proof enough the decline is fact and not a cranky players 'opinion'. Even if the steam/HB sale injects 'numbers', it's an extremely short term low financial gain, likely at the cost of real subscriptions. AKA - Revenue.

The game does have life, and i still love it, but it stumbles around like a blind idiot with no direction. 

Edit : HI Malvado~!

Edited by Shazaam
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

Keep seeing these posts and I laugh, ackwardly ofc, everytime...

Obviously something is going right because the Official servers are still up, development is more in overdrive then it ever has been before, and WU suddenly just got a massive boost in number of units/(steam keys) sold which will only help spread word.  So long as the entire endeavor stays profitable to sustain costs and interest is there, it's only natural to assume it'd grow.  Sounds like Wurm still has a lot of life left to me. 

Oh but what do I know, I stare at my screen watching my green bars going down all day...

Well, from my perspective nothing has really changed, ask anyone about this game and most likely the response will be "what game?" , if they have played it the likelyhood they actually are an active player is slim.

What did surprise me the most revisiting wurm was how slow it actually feels now.

Now to be entirely honest, if things where actually going good for wurm it would not be a "niche" game , it would have tens of thousands of active players and would be a game most players would know about if you asked them about it.

Wurm is doing ok for its old players and those that enjoy this kind of game, I do not think it's a bad game since I know that it has a lot of content and posibilities, the problem is that it will probably struggle to gather new players and in the long term if things are still as they where when I quit in 2008 the player numbers will probably fall down to a point that server costs overcome income.

Anyway knowing how most of the wurm player base acts when someone actually wants to give some feedback on their experience I'm not really surprised to see these kind of answers.
If you think the game and the forums will last another ten years that is when you will find me posting again.

Hi Shazaam! Hopefully life is doing good for you! ^_^

• Like 2

Well, as tempting as it is to jump in and staunchly defend the game I love when someone says they don't like it, I won't since in the end it all comes down to personal opinions and tastes in games. Obviously this type of game and game-play is not your cup of tea. That's ok, we're all different. 

There are things in this game that I love and could go on & on about all day, some things I'm just like Meh, and some things that just annoy the crap out of me. But in the end, Wurm is my choice of where to spend my time and money as it's the game that most closely fits my tastes in how I like to spend my time out of any others I've found, and I've tried a lot of them over the years, lol.  Others have to make their own choices.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎16 at 6:22 AM, Amadee said:

Well, as tempting as it is to jump in and staunchly defend the game I love when someone says they don't like it, I won't since in the end it all comes down to personal opinions and tastes in games. Obviously this type of game and game-play is not your cup of tea. That's ok, we're all different. 

There are things in this game that I love and could go on & on about all day, some things I'm just like Meh, and some things that just annoy the crap out of me. But in the end, Wurm is my choice of where to spend my time and money as it's the game that most closely fits my tastes in how I like to spend my time out of any others I've found, and I've tried a lot of them over the years, lol.  Others have to make their own choices.

Here here... this is the game that I like too and I think I may not like it as much if it was full of ten thousand of the non-Wurmians we are trying to attract.. we have a niche market and as long as it keeps the servers paid for and everything flowing its hunky dory for most of us I think.. look at Epic those are die harders, they have stuck with it through thick and thin and that's Wurm's perseverance.. stick obstacles in our way and we'll go through it if we can't find a way around it.. until  Rolf makes Wurm II I won't think of going full time on another game.. happy Wurmin!!!

Edited by Psalamon
mispelled our Lord and Saviours name..ahem,,
  • Like 1

Wurm is like everything else - some people will like it and some will not. That's normal and we all know that. For those of us who love it, there is no going back. This is home. And for us who love it one thing is very, very important. Wurm has stayed true to its design philosophy, gameplay elements and overall feel of the world as it developed. We joined it because we loved those aspects and after years of playing they are still here, just expanded with updates.

This of course means that Wurm stays very distinct among other games out there and appeals to a certain audience. It's a niche game, but niches can have very powerful followings. Those are the players that we seek... those who will like Wurm as it is and fall in love with it. For those who don't, we respect their opinions, as we know that everyone likes something different. While your stay in our world may have been brief, we salute you for giving it a try and visiting us and we wish you luck in YOUR genre out there. There is a niche for you out there too and that's where you will be heading. And if in your travels you find someone who is complaining about a lack of a good sandbox world with a very unique feel, send them our way! :) Thanks!

• Like 2