Sign in to follow this  
Golddrakken

Do Hedges cycle?

Do Hedges planted on tile borders with five sprouts cycle through their growth stages/ages such as trees do...trees start small and eventually shrivel and then start again, going through cycles.  If Hedges do this then they'd not be good to use as fences to keep animals in, correct?  Since at their youngest/smallest size they do not block movement.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

On deed you can use them as fences else they are easy to cut down nowadays. (yes they stop at full height and only get shorter by pruning then).

Each kind of hedge has it's max height, like maple is among the tallest and camelia stops at medium height.

Edit: If you allow any villagers to prune or cut trees they can ruin the hedge pens.

Edited by Cecci

They do grow over a small/short period of time, depending on their max size. They can also be pruned back down with a sickle. So assuming you plan to use them as fencing for animals, you'll want to remember that as anyone with the tool + deed permissions (If on deed) can knock a section down and let them free. I personally used to go around pruning any that were out in the wild and would come back through within the next day or two and they'd have grown a section(One growth range per, they don't all grow at once, and they don't grow to max right off.) back...which I could prune again.

I've just now started experimenting with using hedges (camellia, specifically, for interior fencing on my off-deed sections.  Definitely not for exterior fencing off-deed as someone could easily prune them down and release any animals, but with the interior fences I have seperating pens I'm going to give it a try to not have to worry about off-deed fence decay there (except for the gates).

So far all my hedge sections are still at low stage, but it's been less than a week so that's not unsurprising.  Hope to see them grow to medium soon, though, where camellia should cap its own growth so i have a nice view without having to prune regularly.

If you wish to speed things up, you should consider hiring a priest who can cast wild growth; they can insta-grow hedges.