Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Better system for filleting fish

I've always thought it rather unfair that you can fillet your meat without losing anything, but with fish you lose 50% of its mass. Not to mention that if you're fishing on a special tile, you'll end up losing a lot of weight to the 50 fillets per fish limit. Any marlin above 20ql, maybe less, will max out on fillets. I get that it's a problem with only being allowed 100 items in your inventory, so here's my suggestion. Get rid of the maximum fillets and stop eliminating half the fish when filleting. Make fillets 0.3 kg no matter what, don't decrease the size for fish with large number of fillets. If you don't have enough space in your inventory for all the fillets, make the fish automatically fillet as much as it can, then you have to empty your inventory and re-fillet to finish. For example, say you have space in your inventory for 61 items, and a 24kg fish. That's 80 fillets. When you click fillet, the fish will produce 60 fillets, and you'll have a 6kg catfish left, and a message saying your inventory is full. You'll have to drop the fillets and fillet again to finish filleting the fish.

• Like 1

Losing 50% of the weight of the fish makes sense – not all of a fish's mass is edible (the head, tail, bones, guts get discarded while filleting). The same logic is already at play with meat for the same reason, only it takes place at the butchering stage – and with animals it's actually a lot less than 50% of weight converted to meat. Filleting meat shouldn't result in any waste; filleting fish (equivalent to butchering an animal) should.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Gwyn said:

Losing 50% of the weight of the fish makes sense – not all of a fish's mass is edible (the head, tail, bones, guts get discarded while filleting). The same logic is already at play with meat for the same reason, only it takes place at the butchering stage – and with animals it's actually a lot less than 50% of weight converted to meat. Filleting meat shouldn't result in any waste; filleting fish (equivalent to butchering an animal) should.

I was getting ready to give this suggestion a huge +1, but this is such a good point, that it won me over.

I still like the portion of the OP about max fillets, though. It's silly that after a certain point, the size of the fish stops being relevant. Stopping the filleting process when you run out of inventory space seems like a good solution, but I would add a longer timer, more of a variable timer, based on the size of the fish and produces a number of fillets (maybe 3) per unit of time, (idk, 3 seconds? Can be balanced by someone smarter than me) and can be stopped by the player at any point.

Think about how big a bear is, and how little meat you get from one. At that rate we'd be lucky to get 1 fillet per catfish!