Sign in to follow this  
Batta

RESOLVED: Mines unusable - can see underside of surface

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESOLVED:  replace the flags.map in the server folder (where the other map files are).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just since the 1.5 WU update, many of our mines have glitched so badly that they are unusable. When we tried to just create new mines nearby, the new mines looked just as bad.  Does anyone know the fix for this?  It is NOT server-wide, though it is happening at many places around our map.  We are using the standard Ocrea map with no customizations.  Here is what it looks like inside one of the mines:

LiveMap shows the in-mine tiles just fine. We are able to interact with the items in the mine, just not the cave walls, floors, or ceilings.

I deleted ALL my mods, then uninstalled and reinstalled the modloader. I remembered to patch before turning on the server again.  

Nothing changed. So since all my mods are gone and I'm still having the same problem, does that help anyone to know what went wrong?  Other than applying the 1.5 Wurm update and updating the modloader, I made no changes at all before this problem began.

Edited by Batta
resolved

Is this everyone on your server having the same issue?  Different computers and graphics cards?  Have you tried going to another hosted server to see how mines look there?

1 minute ago, Wurmhole said:

Is this everyone on your server having the same issue?  Different computers and graphics cards?  Have you tried going to another hosted server to see how mines look there?

Everyone is seeing the same mines as glitched, though many mines around the map are just fine. We live in completely different parts of the world, with different computers and graphics cards. 

I have not seen anything like this on any other WU server (I have been inside mines on several since 1.5 went in.  i don;t think it is anything Code Club did or can fix.

It may be something specific to either a particular private mod, or a particular private server. One of the smart server admin players we have in the forums might be able to help figure it out.

Is this happening on GreenDragonEpic? Do you have custom server graphics jar or custom mods? if you use server mods, are you sure you have patched the server mod loader since the update? Who hosts the server?

EDIT: OOps sorry you already answered:

""We are using the standard Ocrea map with no customizations""

EDIT2: actually if this is the server that is affected it looks like you ARE using mods (which are a type of customization)

is this list up to date? I wonder if any other servers are using the  moonmetaltweaks and cavedwellingtweaks both of which might affect mines?

i suspect the moonmetals one has specific changes to the graphics inside mines, which might also affect non-moonmetal tiles

You mention that mod is not working anyways, I wonder if it is still affecting the regular tiles.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

We aren't currently using moonmetal mod, as it hasn't yet been updated for the new Wurm release. We also haven't been using the cavedwelling tweaks mod.  So it won't be related to either of those.  Our current list of mods is:

announcer, bagofholding, betterdig, bettergamemasters, biggerhousesmod, bountymod, bulkitemsseparated, bulkmod, bulktransportmod, creatureagemod, creaturesonwater, cropmod, deedmod, harvesthelper, hitchingpost, hitchlimits, inbreedwarning, meditatemod, treefarmmod, morepotables, movemod, newportals, noholyground, pickmoresprouts, sacrificemod, salvemod, serverfixes, serverpacks, setheight, skillgaincontrol, spellmod, stablemaster, startergear, and timerfix.

What I'm trying now is to systematically remove each of my mods, one by one, and see whether the problem fixes itself with the deletion.  Any other possible solutions will be very welcome!

@bdew @bigsteve 

Edited by Batta

I've seen one or two tiles like this before but not alot. For cave entrance put a stone mine door on it then destroy. Should leave you with rock tile. For ones inside cave, repair tile around glitches area. When you mine them back out it should have fixed any tile touching repaired tiles.

Make sure to summon items out of glitches area before repairing or they will be lost.

28 minutes ago, Jerone0601 said:

I've seen one or two tiles like this before but not alot. For cave entrance put a stone mine door on it then destroy. Should leave you with rock tile. For ones inside cave, repair tile around glitches area. When you mine them back out it should have fixed any tile touching repaired tiles.

It is all the cave tiles, including walls, floors, and ceilings, so there is nothing to click on. But we did manage to close some of them off by changing the mine door to rock.

UPDATE:  I deleted ALL my mods, then uninstalled and reinstalled the modloader. I remembered to patch before turning on the server again.  

Nothing changed. So since all my mods are gone and I'm still having the same problem, does that help anyone to know what went wrong?  Other than applying the 1.5 Wurm update and updating the modloader, I made no changes at all before this problem began.

@frozenjim @ausimus 

29215FB6AE4A3C0518F6829C84C5FBDB0E4A3A93

Edited by Batta

I was investigating this error yesterday with Batta and have found the following facts:

The mine is fully working, so it is not a server-side bug causing mines to become holes.

Also client side the mine is fully working, but the rendering of the cave is crashing maybe due to some illegal walls in the mine.

The whole local area of one such bugged tile is broken, because the renderer renders every tile in local area and when this fails all mines in the area act like this.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, we didn't have moonmetal mining mod or cavedwelling tweaks mod up yet when the problem happened. Last night I removed all our mods at the same time, uninstalled then reinstalled the modlauncher, then patched the changes. I ran the server 100% vanilla, but even that didn't fix it. The mine problem was still there on a totally mod-less server.

Early this morning I added back all the mods and included moonmetal mining with the vein caps turned off.  Nothing I've tried has made any difference at all, so far.

When we go into the mine, LiveMap shows the tunnels and ores exactly the same as before this glitch. We can walk around and bump into walls, except that we can't see the walls. The items in the mine - forges, lamps, etc. - we can click on or even remove, but there are no wall, floor, or ceiling tiles to click on.

We have same issue posted in bug thread. I have tried everything i can even reverting back removing stuff from mines and removing the paving in mines. Thing is some of the mines are fine but the mines we use are glitched and any new mines are glitched. have no mods and everything was fine on before update. other than updating there was no server changes and I have no access to the actual server files since it is hosted server. trying to work with server host now. been on other servers where this is not a issue.

4 minutes ago, Fopfumaster said:

We have same issue posted in bug thread. I have tried everything i can even reverting back removing stuff from mines and removing the paving in mines. Thing is some of the mines are fine but the mines we use are glitched and any new mines are glitched. have no mods and everything was fine on before update. other than updating there was no server changes and I have no access to the actual server files since it is hosted server. trying to work with server host now. been on other servers where this is not a issue.

I'm sorry this is happening to you to, but I'm really relieved to know that it's not just me.  Hopefully one of these experienced Wurm coders will know what's happening and help us fix it.  :-)

26 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Who are both of you using as a server host?

Pingperfect

Another possibility is that your cave data has been corrupted long ago and now the new client is reacting more sensitive to that problem.

The easiest fix would be better exception handling client side. Just ignoreing or specially marking the probably "broken" cave tiles. For example we had the problem where hedges could be planted underground many months ago, now this could be such a case where the new client could freak out now months later. (just an example)

Edited by Sklo:D

7 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Another possibility is that your cave data has been corrupted long ago and now the new client is reacting more sensitive to that problem.

The easiest fix would be better exception handling client side. Just ignoreing or specially marking the probably "broken" cave tiles. For example we had the problem where hedges could be planted underground many months ago, now this could be such a case where the new client could freak out now months later. (just an example)

We have had no unusual mine activity before now, nothing glitchy or "special" in any way.  

Edited by Batta

We are still hoping for a fix for our mines. It appears that the entire southern half of our server is unusable for mining, and that creates major problems. 

Hi Batta I experimented this exactly issue and finally I et solved it. Before tell you the way that works for me, I try to expose some points that maybe could be helpfull to shedding some light on the issue

• As I say above my issue was exactly as Batta described.
  • I also use a Ocrea Map on my server
  • My server are recently created just one mine entrance had been created when I updated to 1.5
  • Uninstalling all mods the issue does not dissapear.

I fixed the problem replacing

rock_layer.map

map_cave.map

flags.map

that can be found in Creative directory of your server.

by the exact  file that can be found in your client installation c/program files/steam/steamapps/common/WurmUnlimited/WurmServerLauncher/Creative/

In first place I recommend you try to replace just flags.map file and check if the problem are solved, if not, replace also the other two files.

My server does not have many mines so reset the rock layer was not a problem for me but if your server has a lot of mines this is a problem.

Grettings!

EDIT: Seems that other members solve the issue just replacing flags.map file.

Edited by Maelux

Replacing the rock_layer.map on a map where players had the chance to modify this layer via surfacemining and so on is a really bad idea.

Replacing the map_cave.map will remove all mines on the server.

15 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Replacing the rock_layer.map on a map where players had the chance to modify this layer via surfacemining and so on is a really bad idea.

Replacing the map_cave.map will remove all mines on the server.

What about flags.map Sklo:D?

3 hours ago, Maelux said:

What about flags.map Sklo:D?

I actually joined so I could ask about this exact subject. Replacing flags.map totally fixed it! Thank you so much.

1 hour ago, WitchGoddess said:

I actually joined so I could ask about this exact subject. Replacing flags.map totally fixed it! Thank you so much.

Glad to hear this!

Well done!