Sign in to follow this  

No new clusters!!

The PvP player base is split up enough which is why there  is the possibility of transfers. Epic skilling in general is fine. We do not need to change the entire system to provide easier means for new players to get into PvP faster. This can be done with a few tweaks to certain processes like imping items needed for PvP, removing all the things like moon metal, DR/CR bonuses and alike.

Less is more!

• Like 3

Oh boys, calm down!

We talking about a PVP-cluster here ! And Iam sick of playing almost alone ! I gind very hard also for my Skills! YES. But I want more Player on epic and I want more even fights. Iam total fine with it that new player will grind faster and will not put so much time in,  to come closer to the top accounts.

I know for all carebears and "dont wanna do pvp on a pvp server"-players, that will be hard.

Replacing weapons and armour faster after dead, is good ! BC new player can hop faster in the next battle!

I wanna do PVP here, with alot of players and even fights. Thats why iam here !!!!!

Just remove Moon Metall, let us buy Tomes for Karma points and pls bring Nolo 100% protection back ! Then we will have so much fun here !

- Allie

• Like 5

You think even fights Allie.

Wont happen, deeds gonna get flattened all over.

Just close down epic

Edited by Sila
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Eobersig said:

And please tell nobody where that screenshot was taken. Thanks. :)

Your secrets safe with me! 

i tested the wu skilling system and 2x timers

i just can't get down on that.. the new skilling system WITHOUT the 2x timers would be okay. but the 2x action timer makes epic feel like challenge man

i was getting like .25 blacksmithing per hour at 99skill spamming rivets at "1.5s" per action.. absurd, getting like 15 woodcutting per hour at 45 spamming kindlings wth

obviously im going to play the initial stages of it for some fun pvp, but after that I dont know if ill ever go back.. which is really sad considering I was one of the last few guys still roaming trying to do stuff on elevation, but I guess if this is the direction that moves epic forward so be it

Edited by platinumteef

Yeah if they change to wu skilling, without letting my char leave for freedom first, i want a refund on my premium.

Edited by permo
  • Like 5

I came back to Wurm because I heard that Rolf had taken a step back. This futile attempt to revive Epic has his footsteps all over it.

Epic was a horrible idea from the beginning. Instead of luring Freedom players to come to Epic with all their skills intact (which seems like a kick in the nuts to all existing Epic players), Epic players should be moved to Freedom, with all their skills changed by some advanced mathematic formula to make up for the difference in skill gain on the 2 clusters. Then Epic should be closed down, and ALL efforts to improve Wurm PvP should be made on Chaos. There should be no drastic change to skillgain made on the Freedom cluster, if people want a dumbed down game, they can play WU.

All efforts focused on Epic is useful resources wasted, that should be spent on making WO a better game. One step could be to remake combat mechanics, so that new players feel they can be useful in PvP without years of grinding body stats.

• Like 5

Given epic is an a unique position that it's completely separate from freedom, it allows us to introduce new, unique PvP  centric mechanics and systems and even items without worrying about bleed through into PvE servers and requiring balancing for both with the same mechanics.

a definitive split allows us to change lots of various mechanics and systems for optimisation in PvP while not influencing PvE mechanics and systems. This update will also include some epic specific pvp mechanic balances and changes too.

And as we've said, it's not a no to transfers, just time focusing on the details of the shift and how we'll be doing it, it's a lot more tricky than from freedom to epic and has a lot more to take into consideration. 

We're committed to working with epic because we truly believe that the cluster has a lot of potential in being a solely pvp cluster, and the unique factors that presents, as well as the overall valrei system, it just needs some TLC, which we intend on doing.

We'll be working with feedback and balances over time, and I hope to see many issues and concerns already raised addressed.

And as for stealing attention from freedom, I think the sheer amount of freedom focused updates out this year should do enough to dispel that notion. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Given epic is an a unique position that it's completely separate from freedom, it allows us to introduce new, unique pvp centric mechanics and systems and even items without worrying about bleed through into pve servers and requiring balancing for both with the same mechanics.

And as we've said, it's not a no to transfers, just time focusing on the details of the shift and how we'll be doing it

Right then, I open my mission tab and am spammed with names. I don't recall tomes or moonmetals or epic mobs before (even hellhounds) before epic opened. Epic is never that far away from freedom :P

3 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

Right then, I open my mission tab and am spammed with names. I don't recall tomes or moonmetals or epic mobs before (even hellhounds) before epic opened. Epic is never that far away from freedom :P

I've never seen you complain about too many missions to do! 

if Sir Witwicky wants to eat meat. plenty of seals around newspring island, in SW xanadu...

go murder butcher them at will! we are infested

Nope I don't complain that there's too many missions, but I don't get how missions being done on freedom should do anything on epic/valrei. We just do it for sb/karma on freedom, and that seems a bit silly to me in the grand scheme of things. Supposedly valrei is for epic and ascending toons, we're just playing the lotto system for ez pz sleep bonus, or 150k karma, I could light mine lamps for years ;)

57 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We're committed to working with epic because we truly believe that the cluster has a lot of potential

If that's true then I hope you will do more than this. It's fair to say most of Wurms PvP population is currently no longer playing Wurm. With that in mind, I would assert that the best way to revive Wurm PvP is some kind of big change that makes everybody want to return. This update is not that. 

When I say "big update" I dont mean doing loads of work and adding new things to the game (though that would be neat). I mean something new and interesting like turning epic into a single large sized map. Trying to find PvP when you have 15 people split across multiple maps is sad.

Edited by MightySheep

Retro i think what you plan sounds very good to me. Getting more people into PvP, focusing Epic on PvP, make it more easy to get combat ready for everybody. That sounds good.

I have just 2 points:

1) Give all the epic guys, the change to move to freedom before everything of their grind got destroyed. But I see you are already working on that.

2) Make sure the chaos player dont come to epic just to destroy everything & then leave again. That means:

- If you live on Epic, you build deed, you skill there, etc.

- The freedomer come due to the transfer with great skills without anything to loose. They dont have deeds or even big skills to loose, everything safely on Freedom still. Only thing they need is a safemine with some chests inside to store up weapon, etc. Its like a holiday trip to a holiday park. The problem behind that is you dont balance your actions if you dont have to loose anything. If you live on epic you dont destroy opponent completly. B/c you want opponents to play again in future and it could happen to you as well. But if you feel it´s just a 1-time-event you will come in, plunder/murder/destroy as much as you can and then go back to freedome again. It would be ok, if all player had the same conditions. But there are the original epic players. They cant choose, they have no option to avoid this. So this is like putting them in a cage and giving all the beasty freeedom accounts the key for the cage and a big club. Freedomer can choose, when they log in or if they log in. So they will only show up, if they are strong enough / in big numbers. They dont have any deeds to loose. Epic guys can´t follow them back and take revenge. I think you got my point.

So its elemental to make sure, only player who have something invested / to loose are going into pvp. First of all, the transfer have to happen without items. So if you loose your stuff, you need to get it new on Epic. Second make sure only player who has to loose something, can participate. So f.e. only if you are part of a deed, you can join PvP. Or make it difficult enough to get equiqment, so you need to build up a deed to be strong enough. Alternative make some safespots for the already existing Epic guys, or anything else you else you can think off to solve this problem.

Thx!

• Like 8

Skill regrind.

This is one of the the primary reasons I never did much on epic, when I was there it was empty and I didn't want to regrind skills I spent so much time on in freedom. People told me it was faster grind on epic + curve but it did not feel like it.

Friends

The second reason was no one wanted to play with me there again mostly due to the skill regrind. I am hoping I can find a good group of people to play with there.(This happened on chaos when I played there so maybe not)

Population

The low population was depressing so I am hoping this update will help in that regard as well.

I am glad you all are working on an epic > freedom transfer as well, it will allow the poor souls on epic to have more choices which is always good.

I will be looking to join others in trying epic again so anyone there already who could use a citizen please let me know. I have a couple of RL friends that may join me. 

Couple of questions though.

1. Will freedom Priests transfers with their current god?

2. A character with sorcery items, will those transfer?

Edited by Saicotic
spelling as usual...

If you do this, my biggest wish is: Please make that transfer of character stats go both ways.

i am sad to say this but i expected so much more then, here let the freedom players in with their skills.

at this point i want a way to get my toons skill points ( after correction) and my trader, merchant and other NPC contracts and paid for possessions ( not man made ones)  over to freedom. 

At least give Epic the option too to leave if you are going to let freedom players in with their skills.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:56 AM, Samusen said:

Make a thread for it and see both clusters attitude.  The only issue is that freedomers will always be against more skills coming into the cluster.  Not that anyone is open to change.

Let more skills come into Freedom... as a Freedomer ... I don't care one bit... let them come with all their skills... they earned them, let them enjoy them where ever or whatever server they want to go to.

• Like 15

20 hours ago, Jaz said:

As a currently fulltime PVE player only: I really like the Epic transfer idea.

I have a very big concern though: current Epic players MUST have a fair way to have the same transfer to Freedom, being it hard to translate the skills or not. This change must not go live until it is sorted. 

Smaller concerns:

• I strongly hope the skill copy is a single time copy only - so when I'm back to freedom, grind up another skill I won't get it raised to the new level when I return to Epic. This transfer should be a first time only thing.
  • Do Faith gets copied over to Epic? Do priesthood copy as well?
  • Will the WU characteristic "curve" be fixed? Currently upon reaching 31 on any characteristics on unpatched WU servers halt to a dead stop (drops to 1/10th skillticks).

I believe the WU characteristic curve you mention is what I noticed when I played on WU, Jaz.

This is my understanding of that 'curve': Because you don't need to do the 1.01-39.99 to get skill, you're getting crafting/gathering skills with every action.  Because of this, you're doing far less actions and gaining far less in characteristics.  On WO, if you are mining and have to rig your pickaxe to mine the 1.01-39.99ql to gain mining skill, every action you do, whether it gives you mining skillgain or not, still adds to your characteristics.  If you change that to the WU skillgain system, you're getting mining every time because ql doesn't matter, so you're doing far less actions to get to 90+.  What this also means though, is you have far fewer actions giving you body, body strength, body stamina, etc.  

If this change goes through, causing epic to have the same type of skillgain as WU, you're effectively gimping the players on that server to not only have lower stamina than those on freedom because of past mechanics, but to ALWAYS be lower than those that come over from freedom.  It's a complete slap in the face to those players on epic that have been loyal to Code Club and Wurm all these years.

Characteristics in many ways are more important than many other skills when it comes to pvp.  Specifically the body characteristics.

I have tested it on WU, once you hit the 31 in any characteristics, the next and all following skill ticks drop to (almost) 1/10th of the previous tick. That is something I'm unsure if intended at all or a bug in a calculation - it is a drop which is quite unusual.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

I noticed it too; my post lists the reason I think it's happening.  I'm no code diver so I can't back that up with anything except experience and common sense, tbh.

*edit* if you're correct with the 1/10th though, that's even worse.  Not only are you getting fewer characteristic ticks because of the way the skill system works, but you're getting less per tick.

Edited by Lisabet
  • Like 1

Not really.  There have been many many 'features' along the years that have affected things.  So comparing is useless unless you take all of the older characters out.

6 hours ago, Andruil said:

Retro i think what you plan sounds very good to me. Getting more people into PvP, focusing Epic on PvP, make it more easy to get combat ready for everybody. That sounds good.

I have just 2 points:

1) Give all the epic guys, the change to move to freedom before everything of their grind got destroyed. But I see you are already working on that.

2) Make sure the chaos player dont come to epic just to destroy everything & then leave again. That means:

- If you live on Epic, you build deed, you skill there, etc.

- The freedomer come due to the transfer with great skills without anything to loose. They dont have deeds or even big skills to loose, everything safely on Freedom still. Only thing they need is a safemine with some chests inside to store up weapon, etc. Its like a holiday trip to a holiday park. The problem behind that is you dont balance your actions if you dont have to loose anything. If you live on epic you dont destroy opponent completly. B/c you want opponents to play again in future and it could happen to you as well. But if you feel it´s just a 1-time-event you will come in, plunder/murder/destroy as much as you can and then go back to freedome again. It would be ok, if all player had the same conditions. But there are the original epic players. They cant choose, they have no option to avoid this. So this is like putting them in a cage and giving all the beasty freeedom accounts the key for the cage and a big club. Freedomer can choose, when they log in or if they log in. So they will only show up, if they are strong enough / in big numbers. They dont have any deeds to loose. Epic guys can´t follow them back and take revenge. I think you got my point.

So its elemental to make sure, only player who have something invested / to loose are going into pvp. First of all, the transfer have to happen without items. So if you loose your stuff, you need to get it new on Epic. Second make sure only player who has to loose something, can participate. So f.e. only if you are part of a deed, you can join PvP. Or make it difficult enough to get equiqment, so you need to build up a deed to be strong enough. Alternative make some safespots for the already existing Epic guys, or anything else you else you can think off to solve this problem.

Thx!

I think this is a good point, and one thing I want to emphasize is that the way it sounds now, Freedomers will basically have a snapshot backup of their skills, that they can restore at will on Epic, no matter how much they might lose in PVP. Epic players, on the other hand, won't be able to do that.

That's a huge imbalance, from my perspective.

A method that might resolve this is to take skillgain on Freedom and add it to Epic skills, instead of overwriting. That is, a Freedomer's lost skills aren't restored every time they log into Epic, but rather, any progress they may have made on Freedom in a skill is added to their current skill in Epic. Take a snapshot of a Freedomer's skills every time they switch to Epic, compare it to their previous snapshot, translate any gain into Epic's system, and add that to the Epic skills.

That way, Freedomers would have just as much to lose as Epic players, at least in regards to skill. No free restores. They can't go out, die, jump back to Freedom and back for a free restore, and go die again.

(Granted, players who spent time leveling their character on both sides would get a nice skill bonus on Epic, but maybe that's not a bad thing.)

Another question I have is how the skill transfers from Freedom will handle the curve. If a Freedom player has 90 smithing, for instance, will they transfer to the Epic skill level which provides 90 effective, will they transfer to 90 actual, which will be 90+ effective, or will the time/actions/gains be converted into the Epic system for a completely different number?