Sign in to follow this  

2 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

As a newcomer, what I'm taking away is that right now on Epic I need to play for years to have a hope of being PVP-effective (and even then it's not likely unless the top-of-the-line enemy players let me keep my stuff as I get better).

Is that a good thing?

Also as a newcomer, l'll grant that the prospect of a bunch of buff Freedomers jumping over to Epic and immediately out-skilling me by orders of magnitude sounds daunting, but that's not the same issue as making it easier for brand-new players to get effective.

Anything that gets newer players effective faster is going to devalue the time the top players spent getting to the top; I don't see any way around that. On the other hand, if there's no one to fight, what good is being at the top? (I really don't know; maybe it's still fun. :P )

Epic servers original existence was actually a way to solve this dilemma since it has a weird mechanic called epic curve which means your skills are inflated beyond normal with some kind of diminishing returns + skill multiplier - so its a LOT easier to become PvP viable. However nowadays I'm not sure how much that will help with all the epic/freedom titans.

Whichever side I am trying to see this... I can't help but think that once more, Epic got ######.

Basically, every big account "ruling" on Freedom can just pop over here and start "ruling" on Epic just with one click on their portal. Oh how wonderful, thank you very much! That's a brilliant idea! That is definitely going to fix all the unbalanced and unfair issues we always had over here on Epic. NOT.

Once again, this is all about OP advantages going to Freedom and in exchange Epic has to sacrifice everything for that. 
I really don't understand how devs CAN'T see that themselves!

So thanks, but NO THANKS. This whole thing is just bullcrap to me.
And yes I will "cry" over all the hours I spent grinding and trying to make my character better, yes I will complain about it because this is not fair. It's always the same side losing everything they worked hard for and paying for the other side's sh*t.
And I will fight against this crappy idea as much as I can.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

No one is saying all pve players will try Epic. I said "those on the fence." You clearly are not on the fence and thus it does not apply to you. But I know many people who have said they don't want to try pvp for the "risks" associated with it or because they don't want to move to Chaos. This puts an end to that. Now there is a platform for them to try Epic, without any risk, loss, or even travel attached to it. Couple logs and bricks is all it takes and you are on.

For those of you who have zero interest in pvp, nothing changes, so I don't know what you're up.in arms about.

I'm just bemoaning the enormous waste of development time with this change.  I have seen them try so many different ways to get PVE players to go PVP and all have failed - miserably.  You say there are some that are on the fence about trying PVP.   I say they will go over to try it out and the majority of them will come back to PVE.  They too will realize that they originally chose PVE for a reason.  I've watched this play out the same way too many times to expect it to come out differently.  So don't put me in a pro-PVE or  pro-PVP group, I just don't like to see the devs wasting time and effort on changes that won't produce any valuable results.  It's too much like politicians who do a lot of things to look busy and yet really have done nothing of value.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, elroth said:

just because PVP'ers are the majority doesn't mean all dev work should be for them.

If you are not now or never were an Epic player and you don't want to do PVP, why get involved in this discussion at all?

just to say boohoo the devs did work on something that doesn't do anything for me ? majority or not that is incredibly selfish.

First of all, I think in the first line you meant to say PVE'ers.  Second, both sides, Freedom and Epic have a great deal to say about this, as it affects both groups.  You want to discuss the issue fine, no need to use put-downs against those you disagree with.  It adds nothing to the discussion and just increases your blood pressure too much for no good reason.  It's just a game in the end, remember that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kasumi said:

Thank you! ^_^  

And my thanks to Wurm for giving me such epic lands to explore!

*puts on adventures hat and wanders off again*

And please tell nobody where that screenshot was taken. Thanks. :)

I think this is a good first step, to get your current active player base to try out PVP with out having much to lose.  Its just a first step I am sure.

On a side note, I am pleased with how Budda has taken over and is leading Wurm into a well thought out direction.

I look forward to everything he has planned out for Wurm.

1 minute ago, Ascorbic said:

with out having much to lose

Again, for Freedomers, NOT for Epic. Jeez, the selfishness in these comments is appalling.

• Like 2

I don't think any freedomer is going to click on a portal and rule epic, there is the matter of armor and weapons.

2 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I don't think any freedomer is going to click on a portal and rule epic, there is the matter of armor and weapons.

Weapons and armours on epic players to 75% of the playerbase is plate armour in 80 ql steel, something which would be obtained in a day-week.

True Freedomers wont rule epic over a click, but skills far outweights the time and effort it takes to get a mere sword and shield...

Edited by Nocturnes
  • Like 1

I'm wondering how affinities would be handled ... Freedom player with nice affinities ports over to epic to get killed (possibly for money), returns to Freedom. Does he still have the affinity for another port over to Epic?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eobersig said:

I'm wondering how affinities would be handled ... Freedom player with nice affinities ports over to epic to get killed (possibly for money), returns to Freedom. Does he still have the affinity for another port over to Epic?

I will let you know after your first visit ;)

• Like 4

Gear should be the least of anybody's worries.

What I'm "worried" about is if people will actually come over, rather than just the Epic players that bought accounts to play on Chaos/Freedom.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eobersig said:

I actually tried a character on epic once; didn't get that far to be fair but the affinity did not transfer to freedom; she had a completely different one on freedom.

*edits* Btw, I'm of the opinion that allowing freedomers to take skills to epic but not vice versa is completely unfair.  Leaving behind items/tomes/etc either way it would be most fair for both sides to get a one way port with their skills.  This is to allow those that no longer wish to play on epic for whatever reason to play the character with the skills that they've spent so much time building up.  All the complaints over the last couple years that Epic accounts are soo much stronger and such because of the curve, well guess what; a bunch of freedom accounts showing up in Epic with all their skills that were equally slaved over will do the exact same thing to that cluster that people fear Epic accounts coming to freedom would do.  Especially with the fact that epic had far fewer ways to increase their body stamina than we freedomers had.  Only one way would seriously unbalance the cluster imo.

Edited by Lisabet
added my views on the transfer
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Highways
Highway is defined as a paved terrain connecting two or more waystones together via catseyes.

Does this mean that they no longer needs to be 2 or 3 tiles wide? Can I make a 1-tile highway?

@Retrogrademaybe I missed something but didnt really understand the freedom skills transfering to epic part

is this a ONE TIME THING? or when I go back to freedom and skill up to from 60 to 70 carpentry, and go back to epic is my carpentry going to rise again to my new freedom level if its higher than my epic skill? if not this could be very offputting that my hard freedom work doesn't transfer over every time

Just now, happyh7 said:

Does this mean that they no longer needs to be 2 or 3 tiles wide? Can I make a 1-tile highway?

No, you cannot. Catseyes need a 2-tile highway at least.

35 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

First of all, I think in the first line you meant to say PVE'ers.  Second, both sides, Freedom and Epic have a great deal to say about this, as it affects both groups.  You want to discuss the issue fine, no need to use put-downs against those you disagree with.  It adds nothing to the discussion and just increases your blood pressure too much for no good reason.  It's just a game in the end, remember that.

yes i meant PVE. my blood pressure is fine :) i dont see how changes on epic affect people that specifically said they are not interested and never will be in PVP. apart from that it takes a bit of the devs time to do stuff for the minority group. 

1 minute ago, elroth said:

yes i meant PVE. my blood pressure is fine :) i dont see how changes on epic affect people that specifically said they are not interested and never will be in PVP. apart from that it takes a bit of the devs time to do stuff for the minority group. 

Everyone in this game has the right to be treated as equally as anyone else; there should be no majority/minority.  Whether you personally pvp or play on epic or not, they're paying customers too.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lisabet said:

Everyone in this game has the right to be treated as equally as anyone else; there should be no majority/minority.  Whether you personally pvp or play on epic or not, they're paying customers too.

yes that is exactly my point

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

An Epic plan

Starting with the upcoming large update, we’ll be changing how transfers from Freedom to Epic work. Instead of how it works now with your Epic and Freedom characters being completely separated, when using an epic portal to transfer from Freedom to Epic your skills and characteristics will follow with you, overwriting anything on your Epic character where the values are lower. This will only be a one way type deal, so any transfers back from Epic to Freedom will act as they do now where you’ll be back on your Freedom character with their skills.

17 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

@Retrogrademaybe I missed something but didnt really understand the freedom skills transfering to epic part

is this a ONE TIME THING? or when I go back to freedom and skill up to from 60 to 70 carpentry, and go back to epic is my carpentry going to rise again to my new freedom level if its higher than my epic skill? if not this could be very offputting that my hard freedom work doesn't transfer over every time

that's the part I think you missed

5 minutes ago, Lisabet said:

that's the part I think you missed

so that means after a ONE TIME SKILL CLONE my character will remain completely separate from clusters? 

im not asking if i skill up on epic in 2x and port back to freedom if i retain the skills, but the other way around, I wanna know if I skill up on freedom and then swap over again if the cloning process happens again and I get to keep my new shiny freedom skills for use on epic

if that makes sense

• Like 1

I'm interested in Retro's answer as well; I do believe that it means you get a one time transfer of your skills from freedom to epic.  After that, it's as it is currently where your skills on one don't affect your skills on the other.

1 minute ago, platinumteef said:

so that means after a ONE TIME SKILL CLONE my character will remain completely separate from clusters? 

im not asking if i skill up on epic in 2x and port back to freedom if i retain the skills, but the other way around, I wanna know if I skill up on freedom and then swap over again if the cloning process happens again and I get to keep my new shiny freedom skills for use on epic

if that makes sense

Please stop trolling :P

1 minute ago, Nocturnes said:

Please stop trolling :P

how is this trolling ? i have friends that want to continually swap just for pvp from chaos to epic, and they dont want to have to regrind everything every single time

ie you swap over now and you have 60 strength, 10 months later you wanna swap back over to epic for fun, but now you have 70 strength on freedom, do you go back to only having 60 on epic? its a legitimate question

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elroth said:

if i get this straight people from freedom can come over to epic and the skill they have higher on freedom get copied over every time they go through the portal

so in other words i can go over there and pvp and die over and over again, and it would not matter since next time i transfer in from freedom my skills are back.

thats great news.. so freedom people can go and molest the epic community with absolutely no repercussions, that's what the epic community needed indeed.

well done devs on more nail in the coffin. 

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

It's only fight skill lost dying in pvp, and we'll continue to work with feedback on scenarios and questions. If we've missed a potential issue we're happy to take the time to address it, so feel free to suggest any scenarios you're concerned about 

1 minute ago, platinumteef said:

how is this trolling ? i have friends that want to continually swap just for pvp from chaos to epic, and they dont want to have to regrind everything every single time

ie you swap over now and you have 60 strength, 10 months later you wanna swap back over to epic for fun, but now you have 70 strength on freedom, do you go back to only having 60 on epic? its a legitimate question

It's a very valid question, as elroth asked the same thing earlier and while retro did answer part of the question, he seems to have missed the first part of it.  I'm interested in learning the answer as well.