Sign in to follow this  

7 minutes ago, Alectrys said:

Definitely NOT.

As was said:

As we advised with the launch of the new highway system, we’ll be phasing out the existing highway rules in exchange for a new ruleset with the next update too. The focus will be on returning the majority of control of the highways to players, but still allowing for accountability and control by the GM team when necessary.

Until the rule is changed in the official forum, the highway rule remains as it is now.

...so start making shovels to destroy pavement now, or wait a bit longer?  (sorry I couldn't resist!) :P

Posting on behalf of Czar who still hasn't bothered to recover his forum account after the password reset.

Trust the wurm devs to come up with the worst possible solution to the epic problem.

Allow me to predict what will happen: there will be a big increase short term from curious freedomers holidaying, but in the long term it will peter out and be worse than it was before. Hardly anyone with a choice is really going to play epic-exclusive any more, no one is going to grind on epic because that time is much better spent grinding on freedom. Yes, it will be slower, but grinding on freedom allows those skills to be used on freedom, to participate in the freedom market AND gains on freedom can be copied over to epic. If no one grinds on epic, no one really lives on epic (besides the increasingly dwindling epic-only players). It means less presence, less fortifications, less deeds, which hurts pvp. Best case scenario epic becomes challenge-lite, where players doss around for a few days then go home to their "real characters".

I argued with Retro about this, we agree that epic's population will almost always be drawn from freedom players, but the main reason they don't come is because they have to start over. Time spent on epic comes at a cost of time that would be spent on freedom. Ok so you've solved half of that problem, but if you want them to _stay_ on epic for any length of time, their time on epic must not be "wasted". With all the epic perks now gone, this is why I argued for two-way traffic for skills using some kind of fair system and perhaps letting the curve and the skill bonus be epic's attractive feature.

Do we even have to talk about the power differential? ... despite Epic apparently being "soo easy" to skill on, the top epic players aren't even in the same league as the top 100 freedom accounts. Diminishing returns on skill gain, esp body stats, this all falls on deaf ears, but there is no point in having that argument again if you are going to turn epic into epic unlimited. This is not going to help matters.

This isn't a merge, this is ill-thought-out destruction. You seem to be channelling Bertolt Brecht solving the epic problem by dissolving the epic player base and replacing it with another.
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

These attempts to attract PVE players to PVP have never worked before, why would they now?  Someone seems to forget that we chose to play PVE, and for the majority of us it is because we didn't want to play in PVP and all the drama involved.  No amount of changes will get us to play PVP and you may as well accept that.  This change, with all the work involved, will net you only a few players that make the change permanently.  Most of those that do cross over will look around for a while and try it out, then return to Freedom and leave Epic alone once more.  We just don't want to play PVP and nothing you do will ever change that.

No one is saying all pve players will try Epic. I said "those on the fence." You clearly are not on the fence and thus it does not apply to you. But I know many people who have said they don't want to try pvp for the "risks" associated with it or because they don't want to move to Chaos. This puts an end to that. Now there is a platform for them to try Epic, without any risk, loss, or even travel attached to it. Couple logs and bricks is all it takes and you are on.

For those of you who have zero interest in pvp, nothing changes, so I don't know what you're up.in arms about.

Edited by Angelklaine

Remove the subscription and we will have WU server with nice (longterm) rates and without "cheaty" mods.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MightySheep said:

Epic players can shut up

Why am I repeatedly hearing Freedom players saying this?

This update is ENTIRELY about Epic. It literally has a MASSIVE effect on both our game play and the future of OUR CLUSTER. Are we seriously supposed to just sit back and let other people decide FOR US how we are going to be playing OUR OWN ACCOUNTS.

We should just shut up and let the Freedom people decide whats best for Epic? We should just shut up and not express our opinions on a major overhaul of the mechanics of our cluster? We should just shut up because our opinions don't matter when it comes to OUR GAME?

What is wrong with you?

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Maxthx said:

This update is ENTIRELY about Epic. It literally has a MASSIVE effect on both our game play and the future of OUR CLUSTER. Are we seriously supposed to just sit back and let other people decide FOR US how we are going to be playing OUR OWN ACCOUNTS.

We should just shut up and let the Freedom people decide whats best for Epic? We should just shut up and not express our opinions on a major overhaul of the mechanics of our cluster? We should just shut up because our opinions don't matter when it comes to OUR GAME?

What is wrong with you?

I think of all people posting here, I would like to hear Epic players opinions the most. Wether I agree or not its a different matter, but their voice is the one that really counts.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Maxthx said:

What is wrong with you?

What makes you think I am a freedom player? I am someone who play WU PvP servers because WO ones are dead and ive been calling for PvP resets/updates on WO for years. Even this update doesnt even feel motivated by desire to fix epic, I agree with a lot of what Muraya said, its basically making a holiday destination for devs favorite playerbase- freedomers.

The reason I said epic players should shut up is because every time anyone suggested wiping epic or new map or any change whatsoever all you usually hear from the like half a dozen players still remaining is "noo, I invested so much time!" even though its obviously completely dead and they should just get over it already. This change may not be good for epic players but when the server is dead who the hell cares.

PS. I have a char on epic and chaos, not freedom. Though they are terrible chars because my main ones got banned.

Edited by shakys
Moderation Edit
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Muraya said:
Posting on behalf of Czar who still hasn't bothered to recover his forum account after the password reset.

Trust the wurm devs to come up with the worst possible solution to the epic problem.

Allow me to predict what will happen: there will be a big increase short term from curious freedomers holidaying, but in the long term it will peter out and be worse than it was before. Hardly anyone with a choice is really going to play epic-exclusive any more, no one is going to grind on epic because that time is much better spent grinding on freedom. Yes, it will be slower, but grinding on freedom allows those skills to be used on freedom, to participate in the freedom market AND gains on freedom can be copied over to epic. If no one grinds on epic, no one really lives on epic (besides the increasingly dwindling epic-only players). It means less presence, less fortifications, less deeds, which hurts pvp. Best case scenario epic becomes challenge-lite, where players doss around for a few days then go home to their "real characters".

I argued with Retro about this, we agree that epic's population will almost always be drawn from freedom players, but the main reason they don't come is because they have to start over. Time spent on epic comes at a cost of time that would be spent on freedom. Ok so you've solved half of that problem, but if you want them to _stay_ on epic for any length of time, their time on epic must not be "wasted". With all the epic perks now gone, this is why I argued for two-way traffic for skills using some kind of fair system and perhaps letting the curve and the skill bonus be epic's attractive feature.

Do we even have to talk about the power differential? ... despite Epic apparently being "soo easy" to skill on, the top epic players aren't even in the same league as the top 100 freedom accounts. Diminishing returns on skill gain, esp body stats, this all falls on deaf ears, but there is no point in having that argument again if you are going to turn epic into epic unlimited. This is not going to help matters.

This isn't a merge, this is ill-thought-out destruction. You seem to be channelling Bertolt Brecht solving the epic problem by dissolving the epic player base and replacing it with another.

I'm probably one of those rare people who will grind on Epic, not Freedom. The new Epic rules will give me a good chance to catch up in skill to any veteran Freedomers jumping over for quick PVP, and one thing Freedomers won't be bringing is their gear.

But then, I'm probably not a Freedomer at heart, anyhow. :) Epic feels more real to me, for some reason, more dangerous, more compelling.

I won't argue against a two-way skill traffic system, however, as long as it doesn't result in Freedomers feeling the need to come to Epic to grind for Freedom.

so unless a proper solution is made for dual cluster accounts we get utterly screwed...  time to stop playing either side until theres a good solution.  i have an account that is 7 years old on the freedom side and 6 years old on the epic side, so yeah... 

seeing as epic to freedom is considered difficult im expecting skill nerfs which is another bad idea.  consider 1:1 skills when purchased 90 body strength can be thrown onto epic with no loss and no effort to gain

it's also missing the point that the skills need to be tied together completely, treating it as one full game with the same skill mechanics

also not a fan of the new skilling system with faster timers, it makes epic more into a novelty joke like challenge was.  the skillgain and curve makes it balance out with freedom sort of, it's fine.  the problem isn't the skillgain it's how long it takes to imp items.  with meditating being enabled much faster, body str already on a special curve to buff weaker players and nerf stronger players, all thats needed is a fs softcap removal and a better shield skilling system

im not against changing the game, but if the last six years ive played on epic getting skills tomes affinities etc turns out to be an apparent waste of time that i cant even take to a cluster that remains actually serious... yeah... that doesnt sound very good

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, MightySheep said:

who the hell cares.

I do

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Maxthx said:

I do

Oh ye, youre the same guy from page 1, aka the 1 epic player who didnt quit yet. GJ man keep fighting the good fight, dont let anybody ruin your 1 man server fun!

41 minutes ago, MightySheep said:

I have 2 opinions:

1) Epic players can shut up because the server is currently dead so any change is better than no change.

2) Despite saying "any change is better than no change" this is quite a lackluster change if the goal is to revitalize PvP.

- It's not really a thing that makes old pvp players go "yipee, time to return to wurm!". It's nothing fresh. Whats so bad about a fresh map or fresh server? Is it asking too much? And given that PvP playerbase is so small to begin with (due to neglect), do we need 2 servers? Does Epic really need to be a "cluster"? 

- Combining all epic cluster into 1 FRESH map along with this update would encourage both old players AND freedomers to all migrate to epic, it could have been a super cool rebirth!

a lot of epic players are still around just not playing on epic and still upset about all their hard work might get lost. "any change is better then no chance" .......... 

Map wipe was done, affliction map was redone and the central elevation map was redone.. didnt help...

• Like 1

@Retrograde

Was this patch aimed at removing PvP from Freedom, and moving (forcing?) the population from Chaos to Epic?

Edited by Redd

On 2017-10-13 at 7:32 PM, MightySheep said:

Oh ye, youre the same guy from page 1, aka the 1 epic player who didnt quit yet. GJ man keep fighting the good fight, dont let anybody ruin your 1 man server fun!

I dont want you toxic ppl here on epic, please stay where you are. Dont come here, epic dont need this. 

I do NOT agree with this solution.

Edited by Nocturnes
  • Like 2

That was the reason, why merge never works, no matter what solution you come up with, it is always unfair for someone.

But as always in Wurm, spam something long enough on forums, and things will be changed. :D I only applaud to the merge campaigners. :)

4 minutes ago, rixk said:

. :D I only applaud to the merge campaigners. :)

Wasnt that just epic players wanting to get the heck off dead server? I wouldnt applaud their efforts they were in vain lol. I like how the option of transferring with half your epic skills isnt even offered. Literally 0 consideration to epic players. I mean why would they? PvErs are the only people who matter right? lol

No matter what the changes for Epic are, me and my fellow hardcore PvE players will never be motivated to PvP. Add animal cages or something like that, would appreciate that a hell of a lot more.

woot!  merge hype aside, this is awesome news!

Yes, there will always be someone upset, but this is the best footing forward for wurm.  Let the people who don't have anything constructive or productive just keep being unhappy.  :) o7 keep on wurming all!

Oh don't take me too serious, i'm just a member of the 90% minority.

13 minutes ago, MightySheep said:

Wasnt that just epic players wanting to get the heck off dead server? I wouldnt applaud their efforts they were in vain lol. I like how the option of transferring with half your epic skills isnt even offered. Literally 0 consideration to epic players. I mean why would they? PvErs are the only people who matter right? lol

Heh.. do you think it will stop here? After few tears here on forums, dont worry, the portal will be like highway between the two clusters, where you can go back and forward with whatever toon you want. Wait and see.

1 minute ago, Wyndolm said:

Oh don't take me too serious, i'm just a member of the 90% minority.

just because PVP'ers are the majority doesn't mean all dev work should be for them.

If you are not now or never were an Epic player and you don't want to do PVP, why get involved in this discussion at all?

just to say boohoo the devs did work on something that doesn't do anything for me ? majority or not that is incredibly selfish.

Hmm.  It's a half merge.

Victory, my friends.

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

This weeks community content is a beautiful screenshot by kasumi, who routinely travels the lands and takes some of the best pictures of wurm I’ve seen, it’s just amazing!

Thank you! ^_^  

And my thanks to Wurm for giving me such epic lands to explore!

*puts on adventures hat and wanders off again*

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, elroth said:

just because PVP'ers are the majority doesn't mean all dev work should be for them.

If you are not now or never were an Epic player and you don't want to do PVP, why get involved in this discussion at all?

just to say boohoo the devs did work on something that doesn't do anything for me ? majority or not that is incredibly selfish.

I guess you meant PvE'ers. Well ok there is one thing to Epic Cluster, thats just about every toon there has his own server. Less lag and such.

1 hour ago, MrGARY said:

im not against changing the game, but if the last six years ive played on epic getting skills tomes affinities etc turns out to be an apparent waste of time that i cant even take to a cluster that remains actually serious... yeah... that doesnt sound very good

As a newcomer, what I'm taking away is that right now on Epic I need to play for years to have a hope of being PVP-effective (and even then it's not likely unless the top-of-the-line enemy players let me keep my stuff as I get better).

Is that a good thing?

Also as a newcomer, l'll grant that the prospect of a bunch of buff Freedomers jumping over to Epic and immediately out-skilling me by orders of magnitude sounds daunting, but that's not the same issue as making it easier for brand-new players to get effective.

Anything that gets newer players effective faster is going to devalue the time the top players spent getting to the top; I don't see any way around that. On the other hand, if there's no one to fight, what good is being at the top? (I really don't know; maybe it's still fun. :P )