Sign in to follow this  

1 minute ago, Mclavin said:

A map reset needs to be done once all things are tested, this makes me want to play epic but the map has us all asking, how, why, what can we do? All deeds are settled, all lines drawn, all expansion done, let ausimus make a new map and plan to do this for summer 2018 after all systems are tested and let people know ASAP the map will be reset. +100 it all

Are you talking about resetting all Epic maps or just Elevation?

I think creating a new map for ele is ok, home servers have to much history and people seem to go back to home servers when they quit so they would log in to a blank canvas with all their work and items gone

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 3

Sorry, I still don't see the purpose of investing into 2 different clusters.

This whole change for Freedom players to cross to epic and keep their skills seems to be yet another attempt to get Freedom players to  go PVP.  TBH you can save yourself a lot of effort and drop that project.  The only ones you will be getting are those from Chaos,who already play over there.  All you will be doing is letting them come over with their skillsets.  A few others will cross over out of curiosity but,  most of them will return to Freedom Isles.  And 6 months from now you will find yourselves wondering why you even bothered with the idea of skills transferring.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 4

Actually...  This update would give players a way to really try PvP; though (since I'd lose all progress when I came back) it is less tempting.

I can see "PvP weekends" becoming a fun thing though.

An attempt to save epic but drawing from the dwindling player base of freedom, don't make much sense really. If it brings back epic players that have quit wurm altogether may be a good thing, but in reality we really need something done to draw more players into playing wurm, whether it is epic or freedom.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JakeRivers said:

An attempt to save epic but drawing from the dwindling player base of freedom, don't make much sense really. If it brings back epic players that have quit wurm altogether may be a good thing, but in reality we really need something done to draw more players into playing wurm, whether it is epic or freedom.

Soln: Drop subscription :P

My initial reaction is that most of the proposals/changes I see being discussed are all headed in the right direction.   As Elentari mentioned I hope that new players spread out among the various groups.  There is the potential for a group of 10 maxed Freedom players to come and destroy everything, particularly on the home servers which have basically been a PVE environment for last several years, is quite large.  For a long time during US prime time I was the only person on Affliction.  It has only been in the last few months that Affliction has seen an increase of players from the 2 or three players max to the point we have 15 sometimes now.    My understanding is that most of these have been Freedom transfers, instead of true noobs.  Due to the PVE nature of the server most of these have built there own deeds with 1, 2 or 3 players.  I would anticipate that these Freedom transfers will transfer their existing Freedom accounts over, but the population will still be spread out all over the map making them easy pickings for an organized group until the players reorganize.

So I believe that the changes are headed in the correct direction, but we will have to see how these transfers treat Epic.

• Like 3

I'd be more interested in a Chaos reset or a new PVP map for Freedom with treasure chests, volcanos etc tbh.

Edited by Bittereinder
  • Like 2

Why choose one server or the other? These changes are meant for all wurmians in the end, right? 

• Like 2

I am glad for the change. I expect to see more people will try epic. Maybe it will convince those on the fence to take a leap onto pvp!

I know Epic folks have been saying it was dead there.  As painful as it it to go from king of the island of the dead to just an average skilled player on the island of the living, This seems to offer life to Epic and a new player base to make it exciting again.  Makes me think I should have held onto my 99.99 skilled fighter a little longer.

With a change like this, I think the devs also really need to offer a one time transfer of skills back to Freedom, even if each transfer has to be done manually.

12 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

I am glad for the change. I expect to see more people will try epic. Maybe it will convince those on the fence to take a leap onto pvp!

These attempts to attract PVE players to PVP have never worked before, why would they now?  Someone seems to forget that we chose to play PVE, and for the majority of us it is because we didn't want to play in PVP and all the drama involved.  No amount of changes will get us to play PVP and you may as well accept that.  This change, with all the work involved, will net you only a few players that make the change permanently.  Most of those that do cross over will look around for a while and try it out, then return to Freedom and leave Epic alone once more.  We just don't want to play PVP and nothing you do will ever change that.

• Like 3

Nice change but as many others that spent most of their time on Epic i would like to see a transfer for those of us that spent years grinding on epic to have the same thing before people can start exploiting it

And a new map for Elevation would be nice since the one we have now is poop for pvp 

Edited by Meep
  • Like 2

Personally I would limit the transfer to 70 and make a way for it not to be a One time thing for Freedom to Epic transfers. As a lot of peeps learn their ropes in Freedom, and it wouldn't take away Epic's harder skill ticking past 70

I wish more time was put into a fleshed out full plan, not just addressing serve switching. You need to really start looking at the underline issues that turn people away from PvP, which are the imbalances. Server switching helps, but we wouldn't need it if developers just looked at the two biggest variables that harm PvP for new players. When those are changed, PvP changes forever.

• Like 1

Tbh, what drew to me Wurm was the option to play on a PVE server without the worry of being killed (well, by other characters). I do not see myself going to PVP at any time, because that's not what I like about this game. I love the freedom to choose how you want to play. The fact that this game provides a place to do either is one of the better qualities of the game. If this is a good then for PVP, then I'm happy for those who enjoy that type of gameplay. However, that being said, I don't want to be forced at some point in the future to decide between continuing my Wurm experience and playing in an atmosphere that I cannot handle for a number of reasons. I'm sorta of meh about this newsletter and updates - only because it affects me in a roundabout way. I wish I understood the PVP aspect a bit more, but I don't.

• Like 2

Sleep bonus

We'll also be making changes to how transferring between clusters affects players, and that will be by granting sleep bonus to the opposing cluster (going from freedom to epic will give sleep bonus on freedom and vice versa) This is aimed at encouraging travel between the two clusters, and also gives a nice little bonus.

So, doesn't this kind of kill the sleep powder industry?  Who will spend silver on SP when they can hop to Epic to refill their bar?

Also, I have a prediction about all this....

Step 1 will be letting players from Freedom port over to Epic and update their same-name Epic accts with Freedom skills.

Step 2 will be letting players from Epic who have never had Freedom toons port over to Freedom with those toons' skills from Epic intact.

Step 3 will  be shutting down Epic cluster due to providing Steps 1 and 2 to help transition Epic players to Freedom and on to Chaos.

Voila!  PVP consolidated, less overhead, happier player-base.

I think the whole plan is ingenious! :P

Lower the exp rate and timer to freedom rates on epic. Open border Epic-Freedom make another chaos server form it or simple just kill it. One time skill transfer form freedom to epic will just kill the server after ppl will be bored to play at twoe same charcters with difrent exp rates.
I think this update will kill old Epic players and make short term fun for chaos player. They will go destroy server balance, kill women, children and one cow than turn back to chaos. If you want Population 0 on epic its a good way to make this goal.

The epic serves was failing form start. You guys just need to give up :P

2 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

Sleep bonus

We'll also be making changes to how transferring between clusters affects players, and that will be by granting sleep bonus to the opposing cluster (going from freedom to epic will give sleep bonus on freedom and vice versa) This is aimed at encouraging travel between the two clusters, and also gives a nice little bonus.

So, doesn't this kind of kill the sleep powder industry?  Who will spend silver on SP when they can hop to Epic to refill their bar?

I had the impression that when you jump to another cluster, you start accruing sleep bonus on the dormant version of your char as if you had left it in bed, and not standing at the Epic portal.

10 minutes ago, Sila said:

so we can destroy all not protected highways now?

Definitely NOT.

As was said:

As we advised with the launch of the new highway system, we’ll be phasing out the existing highway rules in exchange for a new ruleset with the next update too. The focus will be on returning the majority of control of the highways to players, but still allowing for accountability and control by the GM team when necessary.

Until the rule is changed in the official forum, the highway rule remains as it is now.

Oh, I also really like this:

In addition to the above, we will be changing how skilling works on the Epic cluster in a few ways. First is switching the skillgain system over to the ‘new’ system that is mostly used by Wurm Unlimited servers where using your skill is all that is needed to gain in it instead of the current system that relies on timer length and successful skill rolls between 0 and 40. In addition to this, the experience rate on Epic will be set to 2x as well as the action timer rate being increased to 2x. This will make most actions take half the time and give twice the skill gain, making things a bit easier for new players to get into the game on Epic. The curve will still be in effect.

If I'm reading it right, RNG's effect on skilling will be reduced or eliminated (hurrah!), and also importantly, I will no longer be worrying that my meditation rug is in the 20/30QL window of max skillgain or that my pickaxe is of low enough QL to maximize output between 1.001 and 39.999.

Instead, I can continually be striving to get as high QL tools as possible, which is a lot cooler, from my perspective. I'd rather look forward to getting more skillgains as I get better tools, then always be finagling low-QL tools. This also gives me reasons to get crafting skills up higher.

I'm hoping that this also means skill on action failure, such as for shield bashing. Right now the only way I've found to get successful bashes and thus skill is to train against cows, which seems udderly absurd. :P How much can bashing a helpless cow help me in -real- combat, and why wouldn't I learn from my mistakes?

Edited by Roccandil

I have 2 opinions:

1) Epic players can shut up because the server is currently dead so any change is better than no change.

2) Despite saying "any change is better than no change" this is quite a lackluster change if the goal is to revitalize PvP.

- It's not really a thing that makes old pvp players go "yipee, time to return to wurm!". It's nothing fresh. Whats so bad about a fresh map or fresh server? Is it asking too much? And given that PvP playerbase is so small to begin with (due to neglect), do we need 2 servers? Does Epic really need to be a "cluster"? 

- Combining all epic cluster into 1 FRESH map along with this update would encourage both old players AND freedomers to all migrate to epic, it could have been a super cool rebirth!

• Like 2