Sign in to follow this  
Wyndolm

[No Bug] Special Perm Role vs. Citizen Permissions Bug

Bug: citizen permissions take preceedence before a special player role.

Lately i reactivated an alt. He was not citizen of my deed when i created a special permission role for him with his player name. Later i decided to make him citizen. And since then it seems that the citizen permissions count but not his special role permissions. That doesn't make sense because if a player has a special role this has a reason to either limit his perms or enhance his perms compared to the normal citizens role. So if a player has a special role this should always take preceedence before any more general roles such as citizen, ally, kingdom or everyone.

But i'm not sure whether this is in general like this or it had to do with the sequence of events that lead to that situation, that is making his special role and later adding him as citizen.

Not a bug, but often misunderstood.

If you want a 'citizen' to have a special role, you create a new role giving it just a NAME (no player name no village name), then assign that role to the citizen you want to have that role.

A citizen should never have an individual player role as citizen will be the role found first.

For example:

Create a role with the name Myfavoritealt.  Leave player name and village name blank.

Go into manage citizens.

Assign the role Myfavoritealt to your citizen.

He will then (as a citizen of your village) have the permissions of that role.

If you kick him out of your village, at that time you can give him an 'individual player' role with his name in the player name portion.

If and when he rejoins your village, he will rejoin as the default citizen.  So at that time, manage citizens again and assign him his special Myfavoritealt role.

If someone has a specific role to his name he should keep this role regardless what his state (citizen, ally, kingdom, everyones darling) is, it shouldn't SILENTLY CHANGE just because he changes between citizen or ally or kingdom or everyone. And thats why i say it's a bug because its not what players expect and what common sense tells you. I mean ok you have explained a workaround, that doesn't make that sloppy coding any better tho.

From what I am reading it is no different than if you assign a citizen the role of Elder or such.  You need to make a role just for that person. and assign that role to them.  a citizen is always a citizen, but all citizens can have different roles. 

I just did a test. I deleted Gorguls (my alts) specific player role. Then i tried to recreate it and i get an errormessage in the eventwindow that i should use named roles for citizens (not player specific). So this is ok because it tells me what to do. The problem tho happens when the player has a player specific role before he is made citizen, probably should get a popup that the players specific role is now ineffective or something to avoid confusion (or a message displayed when showing the player specific role or the player specific role should simply get deleted because it is de-facto deleted).

It's still not too easy understandable how making someone citizen suddenly makes it impossible to have a player specific role but guess thats just wogic to me.

Edited by Wyndolm