Sign in to follow this  
Sila

i will play MORE

3 hours ago, Talohan said:

Yeah rendering objects are a major reason for a lot of problems, unless your running a over 32g memory with 8g vid card and 8 core processor it becomes very noticeable.

I have yet to see my GTX 1070 use more than 800 MB of onboard RAM. This was after a day of hunting and travelling for many hours on Pristine. I don't recall my Wurm client using more than 2 GB of RAM, but then I rarely check, because I haven't run into any performance problems. I can't go under 60 FPS with all settings on max (shadows disabled), and I have attended a Goblin King killing on Pristine with 100+ players rendered in front of me.

Maybe I should finish my sailboat and travel to this Glasshollow area on Xanadu.

• Like 1

Good idea.... even if we remove all decorations and banners there is still 110merchant and stalls and 20bridges alot of houses boats i will not speak about 300 dyed lamps and underground building. And will not fix nothing.   I never have travel lag like this week.  Was realy bad when 200+ppl online

8 hours ago, Talohan said:

Yeah rendering objects are a major reason for a lot of problems, unless your running a over 32g memory with 8g vid card and 8 core processor it becomes very noticeable. If you go away from a area with limited buildings and objects it improves greatly. Even things underground are counted in the render count as your comp doesn't see the actual ground but the objects around it and try's to render it all at once.

And catseyes could have done with out the big light particle centers that stay lit all the time. Just needed them to light up if you pick a route or if it's not connected or completed yet.

Even those of us that do run those specs lag around places such as glasshollow.  I dropped from a steady 55-60 to 12 at that market.  I do run reflections and shadows, though.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sila said:

till you guys fix that stupid lag...   we pay more then we should for this servers...  and xanadu is terible lately... fix it or we dont gona play 

Promise?

• Like 1

nah  ofcorse we will play :D   but difrent game :D   life is feudal  MMO almost out

also some of my info about glasshollow lag here are results with low memory clients i got.

not moving aprox fps

offdeed highway in wilderness  with catseyes   50fps

offdeed highway in wilderness  without catseyes   64fps

Silver glass resort   44 fps

Glasshollow spawn central  47 fps 

Glashollow market  central  at daytime 40fps

all build by us. so i dont see big difrence

summerhold spawn  62fps

summerhold mini market 60fps

Linton spawn 51 fps

Esteron spawn 47 fps

Newspring spawn 64fps

Edited by Sila

problem is that everywhere we are  [20:03:27] You are too far away to do that.

Wait, you are not going to play, now you're going to play less?

I'll take facts Sila for $1200 Alex:

Alex: Today.

Contestant: What is the day Sila forgets he's playing less and spends 12 hours on Wurm.

lol

now xanadu working like charm... will avoid weekends till this fixed

I think even a more often server restart like every 3 days could even fix a lot of the lag on xanadu, which is likely memory leaks. I'm no expert in server technology though.

i would just split it in 2 servers... Xanadu north and Xandu south...  problem fixed

16 minutes ago, Wulfgarr said:

wasnt it i wont play wurm - name of the thread? 

Nothing wrong with constructive feedback, this thread is completely lacking in that department of it except for a few of us. Instead this thread had devolved into insulting him for whatever reason and trolling his poor English, why not offer solutions to the issue? We all know what he is trying to say...

Believe it our not, at least where i'm from; when the service is lousy - you have a reason to complain. I think his reason to be upset is extremely valid. We all pay for a service here. Acknowledge the issue and act on it. It's been a reoccurring issue for years. It's unacceptable, what do I always say? If you can fix it - get someone that can!

Otherwise instead of fixing it they'll keep using some sort of band-aid fix like breaking cooking times or how they changed the embarking bug, but it didn't fully fix the issue did it? It only made another problem which isn't fun, baking bread takes ages! Personally I'd even say we should really expect more from our monthly subscriptions. I'm almost positive there is enough money being made to get extra people that know more about java and server side logistics. 

Funny thing is I don't even play on the server, losing player count due to the servers is my main concern. It effects all of us. 

• Like 1

Fix it or I'm done with wurm isn't contrsuctive either. Then changing the post to get people to talk about the issues... ;)

1 hour ago, Niki said:

I'm almost positive there is enough money being made to get extra people that know more about java and server side logistics.

Just how much do you think Code Club AB is pulling in on Wurm?  Depending on penny pinching, a total staff of 10 individuals (not developers total staff) could run you 2 million per year.  I seriously doubt Wurm is pulling in anywhere near that much.  Which doesn't even account for server and bandwidth costs.  Right now they have 9 developers alone, not all paid full time sure, but then you have over 40 other odd staff members many volunteers sure.  You seem to think they're making money hand over fist but quite frankly we're all getting a bargain when it comes to time and effort spent making this a fun game vs entertainment dollars per month. 

Just the last cooking update alone was amazing in terms of development speed for major new changes. 

Finally, I kinda doubt there's anyone on the planet who "knows Java" better than developers who wrote one of the first truly amazing client-server 3D Java games, and it's still in use!!!

I think even a more often server restart like every 3 days could even fix a lot of the lag on xanadu, which is likely memory leaks.

I'm pretty sure server side memory leaks are not going to affect client rendering times...  If the server does have lag it usually shows up in slow action responses like the nightly backup lag. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Niki said:

I think even a more often server restart like every 3 days could even fix a lot of the lag on xanadu, which is likely memory leaks. I'm no expert in server technology though.

I noticed that Xanadu (and assuming the other servers) has been up for 10 days and counting.

I'm no expert either, but I have noticed a substantial decrease in lag/stuttering after a server reboot. If I were the one in control, I'd reboot Xanadu every 48 hours.

7 hours ago, Sila said:

lol

now xanadu working like charm... will avoid weekends till this fixed

Have you actually read any responses in this thread?...

5 hours ago, Niki said:

Otherwise instead of fixing it they'll keep using some sort of band-aid fix like breaking cooking times or how they changed the embarking bug, but it didn't fully fix the issue did it? It only made another problem which isn't fun, baking bread takes ages! Personally I'd even say we should really expect more from our monthly subscriptions. I'm almost positive there is enough money being made to get extra people that know more about java and server side logistics.

That last part is pulled straight out of nowhere right there. It's been stated, if there was an easy fix, or any real, straight up, "fix" for the lag, then it would've occurred(besides just deleting Xanadu). Also it's about impossible to know what all could break when a patch goes live. Go implement it on the test server folks might say, well that's been done, it's been done for years, and yet things still break. Take the case of bridges; we put those on the test server, and had an extremely long and extensive testing campaign with it, but when they went live, things blew up in entirely unexpected ways. One more note, expecting more for our monthly subs? We pay just under $10USD/month(about $19USD for a 2 month prem. package on the website) for a subscription, or say a couple cheap lunches from a fast-food restaurant, or a couple coffees from Starbucks in a week. What this means is we get every restriction removed from our account, for the price of a few McDonalds burgers. Additionally, we also get tons of new content, like the cooking overhaul, a new highway system(much better than needing staff to get involved on that one), the permissions system, tons of new containers to hold our items in, ect and ect that we have gotten in the past couple years alone, not mentioning all the inbetween additions as well.

Edited by Shrimpiie
  • Like 4

Im not blind i see that lag.

Also im not english expert or java.   I just know that should not happend in 2018. 50years ago they says we gona have flaying cars in 2020

Edited by Sila

1 hour ago, Sila said:

Im not blind i see that lag.

Also im not english expert or java.   I just know that should not happend in 2018. 50years ago they says we gona have flaying cars in 2020

Well, it's 2017 right now first of all...

Also, what you think is or isn't supposed to happen really isn't a reflection of reality. There is lag, it's always being worked on, saying you aren't going to play until it is "fixed" literally will accomplish nothing.

• Like 1

I think there's some misconceptions here too

I believe sila is talking about server side lag, the "you are out of sync wit hthe server:" and other such things.

It's true glasshollow market is quite heavy on  the resources, I average 250-300fps on my deed on independence, but with same settings at glasshollow market I hit 40. But this is client sided lag, and unrelated to the general issues on xanadu, but it does touch on why we do make some sacrifices with textures and models, we do not dictate what players can put in one area, so we need to be able to support an empty plains as much as we can support a packed and busy market, but thats off topic.

As we've said in previous discussions, server side lag is a process of ongoing optimisation, and does actually require making sacrifices in order to achieve optimum performance. The cooking time changes is a good example, as it was proven to show significant impact on normal servers, and an insane impact on xanadu, polling every single item in every single heat source every second. Something like that simply needs to be changed, and as such it was.It does mean that cooking is no longer instant, but has proven to be significant in improving thread polling and thus reducing server load. 

You'll also notice that restart timers on Xanadu are much more accurate, in the past they used to wind up being off by up to 10 minutes, but now are within one or two minutes of the usual counter. This is the result of continued improvements in server polling and threading.

We've continued to perform improvements and will continue to do so, there are many tweaks and changes to improve it but the fact is Xanadu is huge, it has to do 4x the work of independence and 16x the work of deliverance. There's no escaping this fact, and as much as we optimise there will always be things that don't scale well. 

If it is impacting your play to a point of no longer wanting to play, Setting up a little holiday deed on a smaller server isn;t such a bad idea; a new project, a chance to see other servers, gain inspiration for your next project or simply taking part in a community project on another server are all great ways to break up some of those feeling of monotony, especially if there's added frustations with lag.

• Like 5

So, to summarise, server-side lag is a lot better now than it was, and is still being worked on.  If you want less client-side lag, clean up your crap around Glasshollow.

• Like 1

More updates more stuff to do or have at glasshollow..    will spend weekend then on exodus or in RL.

I do remember when I first started playing there was restarts every Monday or Tuesday due to the lag being so bad you couldn't move without freezing up for 10 seconds or more. 

As time has gone by the restarts have been stretched out for weeks with no major problems for about 14 to 16 days. That's quite a big difference in a couple years of tweaking even with new things added that creates more lag.

• Like 2

Thanks for the explanation Retro.  Didn't think cooking timers helped and was hoping they would be changed back to what they used to, but guess not since it's helping the lag.  Haven't noticed it any better, but not like I have a back-end server monitor to tell the difference.

On 10/9/2017 at 6:01 AM, Shrimpiie said:

A childish ultimatum like this thread will achieve nothing when it's already been addressed by a Dev.

It isn't about the ultimatum, it's what many new players/players on Xanadu would be thinking.
Are new players/players fed up childish to not want to be playing on a broken part of a great game? nope. new players won't give a second server another chance.

Edited by Mclavin

[14:12:58] <Dorian> [14:12:23] Your position on the server is not updated. Please move slower.  ugh...and I'm sailing against the gale

Just now, on a Monday at 2:12 pm with only 148 people online travelling at 8.81 km/h.

The server has been online for 11 days, and that may be part of the issue, but it's the reason I left our perfect deed location on Xanadu.

I loved our little beach vacation home, but it's just no fun if you can't get stuff done.

[14:18:04] Your position on the server is not updated. Please move slower.

..and again..turning around back to Indy and I'll try again later  :angry:

Edited by Dorian
another lagfest