Sign in to follow this  
gravyface

PvE: what's it like?

On the fence about buying the game.  What can you expect in a PvE server?  Randomly spawned creatures?  Any story?  There's an Adventure Mode apparently, but I've no idea what that actually includes.

Building, trading, terraforming, events.

Just create a fresh account (for free) and run around the map(s) abit.

I play on a 1x sever that has a dedicated PvE area, while most of the world is a PvP area.  In the PvE area we use it for teaching new players how to play Wurm without someone (usually) coming along and killing or stealing from them.

Building a town, with all of its crafting areas, fighting off the various monsters, lot of mining and woodcutting while keeping an eye out for spiders in the trees, build your house the way you like it, actively hunt monsters, etc.  

What at you do in a PvE server is mainly up to you in the end.  A PvE server does take away a lot of issues if you just want to relax and play the game without having to worry about the PvP aspects of the game.

If you buy the Game via Steam you can "test" it so to say. You can refund the game up to 14 days after the purchase if you have not played the game for longer than 2 hours.

Wurm Online is very similar, you can download and make a free character through the links here without buying the game, just to see whether the gameplay elements are ones you like, get an idea how the game will probably run on your system, etc. The two games WO and WU are separate games but follow parallel development paths by the same company, CodeClub.  The free WO character is limited in how high you can raise skills, so eventually you will need to choose -- either make a onetime purchase of the Steam version (Wurm Unlimited, $29 but often on sale), or stay with Wurm Online but need to pay a monthly sub in order for your character to develop past very basic skills. However, it IS possible to earn silver coins ingame and use that to pay your sub, but it is harder if you are a brand new character with no skills and a brand new player with little experience in the game. There are a number of people however who have done it without spending a nickel of "real" money. But then it also becomes work. Still, that might appeal to you if you are severely cash-limited. 

There are some critical differences between the two,. WO is the original MMO, it has a much older community, most of the other players will all have extremely high skills and you won't be very "competitive" with them. Much of the server is already developed although it is pretty easy to take over the "ruins" of former settlments and make them your own. Wurm Unlimited, it is eaiser to find a "new" server where others are also new, where much of the landscape is still untouched. A lot will vary from server to server in WU, as to whether skill gains are fast or slow, whether mods are allowed or prohibited, whether deeds are free or cost ingame silver etc.   

WO and WU both have PVE servers, PVP servers, and WU might also have "mixed" servers (some areas safe, others not). I tend to play only on PVE servers, and i think that is also the large majoirty of the active player base these days.

WU you can play solo on your own server, or with other people on a public server, or you can host a game world and limit who can play there by password protecting it.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Gravyface, Since you are posting in this section of the forums I guess you are asking about the Wurm Unlimited Public servers which are PvE. They are all different in relation to skill advancement, item creation timers and mods added to them by the server owner. Within this Wurm Unlimited forum section there is another labeled Server Listings & Advertisements. Just read through there to get a general idea of these Public servers and what they have to offer. Then after purchasing Wurm Unlimited from Steam you will be able to play on any of those Public servers at no charge.

=Ayes=

Thanks all.

I'm interested in running my own server likely, as my wife and I really only game on the weekends and 4-6 hours, tops; from what I've read, for casual gamers like us, running our own server (and shutting it down) will prevent crop rot, etc. and any other server/world events while we're not around.

We're playing Rust and find that in this short time span, the game really isn't rewarding: with the decay settings and frequent looting with zero story content and/or anything to do besides PvP.

We were also playing Conan, but found it lacking a bit of polish and figured we'd let it sit on the shelf for a while.

Doesn't sound like there's much story at all if any with WO/WU, however, but the crafting sounds more realistic.  

Any survival mods worth getting?  We loved Minecraft when it first came out, but since we're a bit more pragmatic vs. creative with our building/crafting, it got a bit dull over time with no real survival element. 

Yeah it is not a story-driven game although technically there is a lot of lore about the gods battling for control of a moon map or something -- I think the majority of players don't pay much attention to the lore story (and I don;t recall any mods expanding on it). But not really any NPCs or quests to lead you along a storyline much.

As far as survival mods, maybe check this one:

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

You are very welcome to try Mystic Highlands, we are a 1x 1x PvE server with many events, dungeons, Places of Interest, Roleplay, Quests etc, feel free to hop in and say hi, very friendly community :)

Valiance and Kaylie.

3 hours ago, gravyface said:

Any survival mods worth getting?  We loved Minecraft when it first came out, but since we're a bit more pragmatic vs. creative with our building/crafting, it got a bit dull over time with no real survival element. 

Take The SWO CHALLENGE

Pick a server. Login. Create character.  Walk outside starter deed.

Then,,,,,

Drop everything in your inventory on the ground.  EVERYTHING...  Pick a direction.  Start walking.

Survival begins now and ends when you have a functioning deed of your own without purchasing anything from anyone else.

Enjoy!

Eyesgood  aka (Surviverman from Wurm Online).

Edited by Eyesgood

9 hours ago, Wulfrock said:

You are very welcome to try Mystic Highlands, we are a 1x 1x PvE server with many events, dungeons, Places of Interest, Roleplay, Quests etc, feel free to hop in and say hi, very friendly community :)

Valiance and Kaylie.

Interesting!  Is there any way to setup a similar private server, just to get the hang of things for a while? 

8 hours ago, Eyesgood said:

Take The SWO CHALLENGE

Pick a server. Login. Create character.  Walk outside starter deed.

Then,,,,,

Drop everything in your inventory on the ground.  EVERYTHING...  Pick a direction.  Start walking.

Survival begins now and ends when you have a functioning deed of your own without purchasing anything from anyone else.

Enjoy!

Eyesgood  aka (Surviverman from Wurm Online).

That's a pretty good challenge for any game.  Nice.

38 minutes ago, gravyface said:

Interesting!  Is there any way to setup a similar private server, just to get the hang of things for a while? 

Hello Gravyface,

In all honesty, I think you would get the hang of things better on either Mystic Highlands or another server, many people on here that would gladly help you if you have questions and set you on the right path :)

Valiance and Kaylie.

13 hours ago, gravyface said:

from what I've read, for casual gamers like us, running our own server (and shutting it down) will prevent crop rot, etc. and any other server/world events while we're not around.

There is a mod for Wurm Unlimited servers which removes crop rot.  The crops are fully grown in 24 hours and then you can harvest whenever you want.  It is one of the mods running on Sklotopolis, where I play, which I think really improves the game because you don't have that nagging feeling of, "I have to log in every day to do my chores."

If you look around at the various public Wurm Unlimited servers, you can find various mods that significantly change how the game is played.  There are quite a few mods mods designed to improve the quality of life when playing Wurm.  You can look through the modding section of this forum for an idea of some of the available mods, or take a look at the ones from various public servers such as are listed here.

It really comes down to if you want other people to talk to while you play.  This includes if you want to have to do absolutely everything for yourself or would like to sometimes trade with other players for goods and services.

I agree with what was posted above.  Try Wurm Online for free for a little bit.  If you like it, right now is a great time to buy Wurm Unlimited with the Steam sale.

If you are going for a personal server, Creative servers don't have any storyline beyond what you make for yourself while Adventure servers have a little bit more of a story, the Conch that will be among your starter gear can only be used if you are NOT playing as a GM character, but it will give some story and a set of objectives(1 story piece and 1 objective until you complete that, then "Listen" to it again to get the next, though you can "Listen" to it again before then to reread or to reactivate the "Spirit Lights" marking the current objective). You will gain Sorcery spells as you accomplish those, but remember that you won't be able to use them until you get a star gem staff, just make a wooden staff and attach a Star Gem(Star Emerald, Star Sapphire, Star Diamond, or Star Ruby). You don't need to have the staff equipped unless you want to, but you will need to Activate it before attempting to cast a spell.

Edited by Cadh20000

Nah the real challenge is ask the GM to move all your characteristics to 1.0 as well.  Now I did this and I tell you it was the best survival experience I have ever had in a game.  Also no dummies or archery targets, that's cheating.  That dear viewers is a real challenge you can barely carry anything i mean you really struggle and every time you get that strength skill up oh man it is so rewarding i'm telling you it's the way the game was meant to be played it's great.