Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

The Death of NewEgg

Not literally, the company still exists, but bought out by chinese, and in recent years has literally gone to ###### 

So after 15 years of heavily promoting them, NewEgg is dead to me. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/226777/newegg-now-owned-by-chinese-company

Happened a year ago or something. I did not see the original news releases.

I have been using newEgg for over 15 years, and have heavily recommended them on many many internet forums as the best place to buy computer upgrades. I now need to apologize publically to everyone I ever sent there. It's now terrible service. Do't use them unless you like taking a gamble.  For the first time, i will be requesting PayPal to make a bank chargeback, which will result in them permanently suspending my 15 year old account (since 2003, and I have purchased from their parent company ABS since mid 1990s) .   But that's perfectly  fine because I will never order from them again.

Just another sad day on the internet as newegg was a cherished internet institution most of the time I have been online  :( I have been trying to avoid Amazon due to the terrible way they treat employeestheir close relationship with the American CIA, the way they kill off any competing business to become a massive monopoly  and the way the corporation now represents in so many ways  "The Worst Of America''

Any recommendations on other places to look online, for computer stuff and also general internet ordering?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

the last 2 purchases I made on newegg were shipped straight from china. it all makes sense now

• Like 1

Newegg has always been a Chinese company, and Fred Chang (outside a brief period earlier in the decade) has always been in charge. Presence in China (most of their warehouses that export to North America are located there) is how they were able to get an early foothold on online sales.

I just bought from them and had decent success.  Saved me a bunch in sales tax.  However, I see almost everything I search for is from "other sellers".  I'm wondering if NewEgg is a store anymore or just a hub for 3rd party sellers.

Edit: also been a faithful user for many years.

Edited by Wurmhole

Every computer I have ever built going back to High School started with a parts list on New Egg.

This is indeed a great loss...

I use TigerDirect, but don't use the website, call and get yourself a sales rep. They have way more products and better pricing on many things than they can put on the website. I love my TD sales rep.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chakron said:

Newegg has always been a Chinese company, and Fred Chang (outside a brief period earlier in the decade) has always been in charge. Presence in China (most of their warehouses that export to North America are located there) is how they were able to get an early foothold on online sales.

Fred Chang was born in Taiwan but considered himself an American. i remember it was owned by him back when it was ABS (I got my early computers through them circa 1997 or so) , but seriously something is much different now  than the old days. It might be like Dell, which started out as a great company, then started coasting on its old reputation and milking it ruthlessly for profits until Dell became synonymous with junk. Then they were able to slowly slowly bring back the company again to its former reputation. Twenty years ago everyone adored Dells, ten years ago they were terrible, today I would probably (finally) buy a Dell again.

If you type "What Happened To New Egg" into google, you'll see that everyone agrees now this once great company has just gone completely to the dogs. Seriously, I am fed up with them and not going back. According to the tech article, it sure sounds like Chang is no longer the one in charge:

it now appears that the investment was much more than a simple capital infusion: it was a bid towards controlling an effective majority in the American company's shares. The deal, with a value estimated around 17.7 billion yuan (around 2.63 billion dollars; higher than some countries' GDP), will give Liaison Interactive control of 55.7% of the California-based company. As a result, Newegg thus becomes one of Liaison Interactive's subsidiaries.

I am not sure how any more reliable consumeraffairs.com is (sometimes the consumer places get taken over by shady folks themselves), but they now give Newegg only one out of five stars. I am a little leery anyway on some "ratings" sites since thanks to places like Fiverr, companies can now simply buy people to bloat their scores.  

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

11 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

NewEgg is dead to me

Mister Wonderful (Shark Tank) is that you? Yep, few years back I bought a few things from the Egg. Mainly I like to use their website for purchaser's ratings of items, then shop other sites in comparison. They were usually the best price though and shipping was included many times. Amazon really does have some good deals now on computer related items. Best Buy I check sometimes too but might pickup at their store since they are not too far away.

=Ayes=

I'm the Director of IT for a small non-profit science center.  We used to use Newegg along with Tiger Direct.  I tend to not purchase 'out of the box' machines, because we could always get more bang for our buck purchasing the parts and assembling them.  (It was also a great teaching tool for interns and such)  We had our sales reps and our 'non-profit discount', and then this thing called Amazon happened.  Once I found out that Tiger, had their items on Amazon at the same price, we went to an Amazon Prime membership and started saving money instantly by not paying for shipping. Amazon is a love/hate relationship for me as I am not a fan of large monopolies, but darn it if they don't have a huge amount of items in stock at really reasonable prices.

39 minutes ago, Dorian said:

I'm the Director of IT for a small non-profit science center.  We used to use Newegg along with Tiger Direct.  I tend to not purchase 'out of the box' machines, because we could always get more bang for our buck purchasing the parts and assembling them.  (It was also a great teaching tool for interns and such)  We had our sales reps and our 'non-profit discount', and then this thing called Amazon happened.  Once I found out that Tiger, had their items on Amazon at the same price, we went to an Amazon Prime membership and started saving money instantly by not paying for shipping. Amazon is a love/hate relationship for me as I am not a fan of large monopolies, but darn it if they don't have a huge amount of items in stock at really reasonable prices.

Only problem I have with Amazon is that I've been shipped the wrong part a bunch of times.  I bought a batch of Mikrotik AC Routers from Amazon and the vendor gave me the $20 model which wasn't the right model I ordered, but the stickers say it was the Mikrotik AC.  After installing over 50 of these I know what they look like.

Been scammed on some brand new Supermicro RAID cards too.  I think Amazon knew there was issues with these, because they refunded my money before even asking me to return the parts.

The 3rd time they sent me generic version of the item even after I asked that I will only order if this is the correct part number in the pictures, because that's what I needed.  They sent a generic with different part number and it fried a laptop.

So I'm not too fond of Amazon for technical parts.  After putting over $500k into Newegg in the past decade with business I've been wondering why they have seemed different, but now it all makes sense.  Now I'm not sure if I can trust Newegg.  Havent' been burned by them yet and they give me free returns on parts (which I rarely ever have to return).  Even the 60+ SATA hard drives over the years have not failed me while being shipped....of course all ssd now.

While we're not trusting websites, stay away from FedEx shipping.... 2 day and next shipping never gets there on time, ever.  Waiting four days now for my 2 day package.  100% assurance they will deliver on a day you are not home and they require signature, if not home they take it to their hub and the process starts over.

I hear they throw TVs over fences too.

Edited by Nomadikhan