Love the hell horse statue.

Love having more exploring options other than PoI random teleport.

This takes care of treasure hunts too.  \o/

Edited by nicedreams

Just now, Wurmhole said:

ok, this looks really interesting!  Sounds like a reason to go spend time on the oldest servers to skill it up?  Xanadu may suck for this skill?  Can you just find one old deed and spend all your archeology time on that one deed?  Do you need to move to other deeds?  Can you use up all the potential from the one old deed over time?  Will it be like Prospecting, where just moving around to different tiles is all you need, but keeping in the same area?

Does the age of the deed or what items used to be on the deed make a difference for what you can do or find?

not really . its been around for a while. i guess thats possible. dont have to but you should. it regenerates over time. i guess that works. age does, not the items. 

• Like 1

Archeology! It is awesome!

When will be the big update? :D

2LxyS5r.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

not really . its been around for a while. i guess thats possible. dont have to but you should. it regenerates over time. i guess that works. age does, not the items. 

ok, so the oldest servers are going to be all the rage.  Smart way to bring people back to them.

Not sure why anyone would be upset about reasons to get off deed and explore.  Very awesome idea and I am excited to explore more than ever now.

• Like 3

Will it also be possible to find ancient battlefields? Or is it strictly former deeds?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chlodovech said:

Will it also be possible to find ancient battlefields? Or is it strictly former deeds?

Oh oh!  Places where people died... All the big Unique fights..  So much potential there too.

• Like 1

I love that idea!! Thank you! ^^

*hides from Kasumi* Though we might need some calming remedies for some players... ;)

Edited by GilwenAistrinas

Chaos be the best server for this as it is the one with the most ancient history

I think there should be a bonus for being in enemy territory on the PVP server.

Really a great thing to encourage something different than the usual chores. I was really hoping the skill will be glassmaking but I'm really more happy with the potential of archaeology. I'm sure it will move people out off their walls and convince them to cross servers. Archaeology has great potential, and sounds easy to add content to it later and even use as base for community events / hunts. I'm really curious now.

• Like 1

My question (that wasn't brought up in the video) is what happens in an instance where a specific plot of land has been deeded multiple times? Is the data that comes back to you from "investigating" random in that regard?

Meaning, will one "investigate" action tell me that "Deed X was here", while a second investigation of the same tile/area would tell me that "Deed Y was here"?

this is all fine and dandy... when is it going into the game? Is this gonna be like bridges xd hehe?

Indy all the way. What a great way to get people back to their roots. Only problem I see is people hording areas.   One curious thought is if you deed over an old deed ruin area does that spoil the artifacts?

I'm looking forward to trying this out. ^-^ I'm almost certain there was a deed in the spot my deed now is, it would be fun to find out what was there before!

2 hours ago, Ascorbic said:

I think there should be a bonus for being in enemy territory on the PVP server.

There is a bonus if the deed you're investigating was from another kingdom. 

• Like 3

I'm loving the idea of this new skill!  Please let it be available to priests!  

• Like 3

Can someone please make an abbreviated version of that FF video?  :blink:

• Like 4

What a great and thoughtful addition to Wurm! Archeology. This game is about building and rebuilding and one of the features of Wurm is that people and deeds come and go. How many of us - upon finding some decaying ruins - often wondered who lived there, what their deed look like and what they were up to? I do it all the time. The land next to yours, the one you are on, or the one you are passing through may have seen a number of deeds on it in the past. There were living, breathing players who occupied that space, built their online dreams and populated them with life, work and goals of their own. All that past was seemingly lost... till now.

I, for one, am very excited about archeology and related skills. How this new addition will work in practice remains to be seen, but it seems that it will give Wurm one thing that it was lacking. Real history. What a wonderful addition along the lines of what Wurm is very much about for some of us. The hopeless romantic in me is very excited :)

Well done!

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 1

I mean... eh. Not a huge deal for a new skill. We kind of have something similar already with digging up artifacts so the mechanic is already out there, have to find the right tile, and dig it up. I guess some content is better than none, but I feel there is a lot better ideas out there that could have been added before digging up tools.