with 2 new skill  whats it going to do to cooking ? the way the cooking code is done this will change things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dorian said:

I'm loving the idea of this new skill!  Please let it be available to priests!  

Sums it up

• Like 1

Finite or infinite items? Would someone (max skill and gear) be able to clear out a location (given enough time there) for everyone else or would anyone that digs there may find something?

16 minutes ago, icbash said:

with 2 new skill  whats it going to do to cooking ? the way the cooking code is done this will change things.

I got confirmation on irc that they're replacing two skills. My money is on Artifacts and Turrets.

18 minutes ago, Erlindur said:

Finite or infinite items? Would someone (max skill and gear) be able to clear out a location (given enough time there) for everyone else or would anyone that digs there may find something?

In the video they mention it recharges like foraging. So yes, but you'd have to wait.

7 minutes ago, thorgot said:

In the video they mention it recharges like foraging. So yes, but you'd have to wait.

The video suggests that it has a cooldown like foraging. Finite items is a reward for old players and any new ones (a year or so after it is introduced) will find archeology as a moot skill, while infinite simply favors farming. Drop a deed where old deeds were and farm it every day.

Don't get me wrong. I love it. I simply want to know how they balance it.

1 hour ago, Erlindur said:

The video suggests that it has a cooldown like foraging. Finite items is a reward for old players and any new ones (a year or so after it is introduced) will find archeology as a moot skill, while infinite simply favors farming. Drop a deed where old deeds were and farm it every day.

Don't get me wrong. I love it. I simply want to know how they balance it.

A problem indeed. I would love it if there was a skill that would only go up in a natural way - so not by grinding and by staying at just one place turning circles to see who gets to 100 first. But yeah... results in everything taken, nothing left for newer players... maybe the 'renewing' part takes a month or so?

Edited by Kianga

WOW Archaeology ! Very unexpected, cool, interesting and hopefully useful skill ! :)

But it brings several questions. Hope someone can help me understand few things:

1. What kind of items we can put together from fragments we can find? Are those completely new and unique items such as new statues, decorations or maybe some rare tools etc or its only new statues ?

2. I see we can find fragments of shards , ores and some other building/crafting materials. Are those can be parts of new unique items or just materials on its own or maybe parts of simple tools? How we know if they are part of something better than just some junk ?

Which means that  we can spend all that time just to find simple materials or useless tools, in other words junk. If that correct ?

3. OK lets say we find some parts of unique items but we missing other parts. If rest of items located at same area or same server and we need look for other parts all over server at different places ?

4. Will be we able to put together all parts now or we need to wait when Restoration skill will be available ? When we get secondary skill ?  In this case where we can store all those fragments/parts that we find now ? Can they be stored in bsbs ? Or they will not decay ? Otherwise if they do decay , then while we collect all parts , we may lose what we find  which means its almost impossible to restore new items later.

Thanks in advance for any reply !

1. There's a huge range of items, with tools and containers and weapons being possible. There's rarer unique items too, like the statue(s)

2. It can vary, as we've hinted, some items when put together may have unique properties, and you'll have to put them together to find out. Archaeology itself in the real world is a painstaking process of searching and sifting through a lot of junk material.

That translates into wurm by finding ores, shards, bricks, lumps and other bulk tier materials, searching on deeds increases chances of finding good things.

3. fragments can be found on multiple servers or bought and traded, there's no limitation or requirements to where you get these parts from, just because one is in the area doesn't mean all the others are,

4. Restoration comes with this update. Fragments cannot be bulk stored as they are parts of items, and will take decay if left lying around. They don't take up much space, so storing them in a chest won't have them disappearing overnight. 

Oh and priests will be able to perform both actions

• Like 6

People should be aware, you should definitely check out the server of the other servers as well.

Mystic Highlands runs a great, strict, roleplaying atmosphere. Brew has a wonderful server if you want the vanilla wo experience in WU. Bdew runs an awesome server with awesome mods. Theres age of wonders, GameComa and many others. I think its very sad any server would have a mention in an official post that says "definitely check out the server", that is like an official endorsement from code club. (Note I am not mentioning my server in this post, that is intentional). Post their video post their event all good, but that one line crawls up my spine like a Trump bug.

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

1. There's a huge range of items, with tools and containers and weapons being possible. There's rarer unique items too, like the statue(s)

2. It can vary, as we've hinted, some items when put together may have unique properties, and you'll have to put them together to find out. Archaeology itself in the real world is a painstaking process of searching and sifting through a lot of junk material.

That translates into wurm by finding ores, shards, bricks, lumps and other bulk tier materials, searching on deeds increases chances of finding good things.

3. fragments can be found on multiple servers or bought and traded, there's no limitation or requirements to where you get these parts from, just because one is in the area doesn't mean all the others are,

4. Restoration comes with this update. Fragments cannot be bulk stored as they are parts of items, and will take decay if left lying around. They don't take up much space, so storing them in a chest won't have them disappearing overnight. 

Thank you very much for such detailed and fast answer ! You rock Retro ! Can't wait to learn this new skill , just hope to have enough time to play with it :) So many new features in game lately . Thank you Devs for making us happy !

8 hours ago, Xyp said:

People should be aware, you should definitely check out the server of the other servers as well.

Mystic Highlands runs a great, strict, roleplaying atmosphere. Brew has a wonderful server if you want the vanilla wo experience in WU. Bdew runs an awesome server with awesome mods. Theres age of wonders, GameComa and many others. I think its very sad any server would have a mention in an official post that says "definitely check out the server", that is like an official endorsement from code club. (Note I am not mentioning my server in this post, that is intentional). Post their video post their event all good, but that one line crawls up my spine like a Trump bug.

Mythmoor was promoted once or twice in different valrei internationals, kangawu was promoted aswell with no problems, this seems to be a bias case of "I don't like Wyvern why are you promoting them"

Warning to all, don't bother digging around my old xana deed, you'll just find broken tools and splintered arrow shafts (and the 1000 demon statue army i made when bored)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Hooray!  Look out Wurm, Flunky the Fo Priest, dragon slaying, rift healer is going to be an Archeologist soon!  

(ok he poked a dragon once with a little sword and got the title, but he is still wearing it!)

Suggest or question?

Why not be able to find big statues but the catch is you can not move it ie like the Spinx and pyramids. Way it could work is you use the exploratory function going to be implanted.  But for big Items after they reach a certain skill level they would get a message saying "if you dug here you might find a ancient ruin".  People would have to spend time digging them out and then once they are uncovered they become historical landmarks of Wurm and cant be deeded over.  The originally founder could get some kind of reward.

would make for great community events. 

Does using Archaeology on a certain tile require deed permission from any deed that tile might be on?

My own opinion is that the skill would be a lot more fun if it didn't. 

Some of the oldest and most classic deeds from the past now have unrelated newer deeds placed over where they once were.

Maybe the 'reconstruction' object/statue/whatever appearing should be off-deed, but simply finding scraps that go in your inventory shouldn't.

22 hours ago, Xyp said:

I'm not sure why this is an issue. Servers are quite literally the backbone of Wurm Unlimited. Without server hosts, the game basically doesn't even exist... literally. The player counts speak for themselves once a player sees the server list, with Mythmoor and GameComa.ru being on the top, followed by Mystic Highlands and World of Wonders. Of course these servers are worth checking out.

However, does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to make promotional efforts for our smaller server? I spent well over 500 hours of pure development time creating the mods that shape the environment that now exists on Wyvern Reborn. A community member (not me) spent hours upon hours of work putting together the video featured in this Valrei International, including organizing our entire community to capture the scenes in the final result. I didn't even expect to have a trailer done for my server, and when I was posed the question "do you think a trailer could be featured in the Valrei International?" - I forwarded that question to Retrograde who was kind enough to say yes.

I don't think this had anything to do with favoritism. I feel as though you're more caught up in how the promotion was phrased, more so than the content of said promotion. I think any server that spent the amount of time and resources producing content capable of being displayed on the Valrei International would be featured in a similar fashion.

As a final note, as I mentioned here, I intend to open source all the work I've done for Wyvern Reborn to all modders and server owners alike in the near future. Right now, the community of server hosts view it as more of a competition than a collective effort, which disturbs me. We've already seen great projects go under without ever sharing their work, including Ages of Urath and Desolation in recent memory. Instead of thinking "my server needs to be the best so I can have the most players" I'd much rather everyone work together to simply create a better game. I've already started that by sharing my work with World of Wonders who produced this update. At the end of the day, community reigns supreme in Wurm. The content is just there to link the players together. The more content we have, the better our community functions. It's my vision that new content should be shared openly, promoting the game as a whole. Just like how our communities in Wurm work together to build highways and canals, we should be working together to build mods that affect the whole of our community in a positive way, not just for our own self-interest.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2017 at 4:19 AM, Retrograde said:

Oh look, a reason to re-subscribe; active development on a part of the game I play while premium.

Well done ^_^

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:38 PM, Sindusk said:

I'm not sure why this is an issue. Servers are quite literally the backbone of Wurm Unlimited. Without server hosts, the game basically doesn't even exist... literally. The player counts speak for themselves once a player sees the server list, with Mythmoor and GameComa.ru being on the top, followed by Mystic Highlands and World of Wonders. Of course these servers are worth checking out

World of Wonders has a toxic staff.  They throw the mute hammer out like its kool and then the ban hammer if you try to communicate to staff via support tickets.

I would highly recommend not playing on that server. Toxic staff attitude spreads to it's community.

A question about the Archeology skill in regards to Wurm Unlimited.  Yes I do know we will not have the patch there for awhile, I asked in the Wurm unlimited forums and found that out :)

Once the Archelogy skill is released for WU.  For the WU servers that are brand new or have not been out long time, how will the skill work in regards to finding old deeds?  Will the be able to incorporate some of the main server databases that contain the old deed information?  Will the be able to use other servers old deed information and incorporate that info into their own?

just some thoughts.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:38 PM, Sindusk said:

I'm not sure why this is an issue. Servers are quite literally the backbone of Wurm Unlimited. Without server hosts, the game basically doesn't even exist... literally. The player counts speak for themselves once a player sees the server list, with Mythmoor and GameComa.ru being on the top, followed by Mystic Highlands and World of Wonders. Of course these servers are worth checking out.

[snip]

As a fellow operator of a not a small but not the largest community I did not take issue with that post. I would have personally worded it slightly different but a number of WU servers have been featured in the VI thus far. It's good for promotion, and I really don't see it as favoritism.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:38 PM, Sindusk said:

As a final note, as I mentioned here, I intend to open source all the work I've done for Wyvern Reborn to all modders and server owners alike in the near future. Right now, the community of server hosts view it as more of a competition than a collective effort, which disturbs me. We've already seen great projects go under without ever sharing their work, including Ages of Urath and Desolation in recent memory. Instead of thinking "my server needs to be the best so I can have the most players" I'd much rather everyone work together to simply create a better game. I've already started that by sharing my work with World of Wonders who produced this update. At the end of the day, community reigns supreme in Wurm. The content is just there to link the players together. The more content we have, the better our community functions. It's my vision that new content should be shared openly, promoting the game as a whole. Just like how our communities in Wurm work together to build highways and canals, we should be working together to build mods that affect the whole of our community in a positive way, not just for our own self-interest.

I've noticed your recent efforts Sindusk and want to say thank-you for that commitment. We all can install mods, but community and a server's staff, and to an extent custom content (not just server modifications) is what makes a server. It is also hard because it really is a competition for a very small player base compared to other games, so its difficult to remove that competitive element. I'm all for community building and I don't mean just on my server. There are a number of people out there that have provided me a lot of help along the way. Coming into this I was not a rookie server operator been doing it for over 15 years but Java I'm a novice so I appreciated every bit of help I got from folks.

Edited by LifesaverM

Must admit I'm a little curious why new skills when existing skills such as taming and tracking really need a lot of love and attention. Of course, a new skill doesn't mean those others aren't being looked at.  I'm just excited and anxious to see those two in particular get the "cooking" treatment.

Nonetheless, always appreciate Budda's work so will be interesting to see this when it's released on WU.

For newer WU servers, will there be a way for admins and creators to introduce archaeological finds into their world?  Sorry if that's covered in the video, time is short.

Perhaps a way to backdate GM created deeds and histories to seed the world.

As for a weekly newsletter by PR staff suddenly driving heavy traffic to particular WU servers at the behest of others... Even if there was some misguided effort at favoritism,  I honestly don't think such endorsements are a factor in the long run.

It's a small community, even including WO.  Word of mouth, reputation and everyone's experience is ultimately matters more.

I think it would be different if a developer handed out specific endorsements in an official capacity, but I really think developers would just know better and have the requisite maturity to not do it.

If any of the developers did fall short, they wouldn't exactly be a ringing endorsement at that point, would they?

PR staff doing PR.  WU admins don't need to feel threatened.  No one is taking it as gospel, or for anything more than what it is.  Just throw PR some material to fill up their newsletter, and the same endorsement is yours.  There's only so much they can copy/paste.  I'm sure they would be delighted to showcase what you volunteer.

• Like 1

Additional to this skill, please make the adventurer hat work with my hair, instead of making me bald. :D

• Like 1

Good stuff taking a consistent problem of player count and deed abandonment and turning it into a positive!