Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

new pc died

so less than 5 months ago I b ought a new pc, that was pretty much a custom build, it was going great guns, for a short time, then it started making grinding noises. I google it, and i'm "informed" it's normal, what part of grinding noises coming from inside the tower, so anyways a couple of days ago, it started and wouldn't stop , so I shut it down, and off. and when I went to turn it back on, g uess what it wont start, there is power to the front and rear fans, the psu is powering up, but it wont load, there is no start up screen nothing. it's dead. it has a SSd inside, I've never encountered anything like this before, any suggestions before tomorrow morning when I return it to the shop, I've unplugged, unseated everything I can possibly do, but nothing it's just DEAD.

Could be the motherboard, depending on the specifications, it's something I encountered when i built my own before, similar to you, mine lasted about 6 months and blew up.

Grinding noise would be from a loose bearing/fan most likely, or a shitty psu.

Take all the ram out and turn on the pc, if it doesn't go nuts making beeping sounds it's either the mobo is defunct or the psu isn't putting out enough to power the mobo.

yep I took the ram out and it beeped like a mad man in a traffic jam, so sounds like i'm off to repair shop then, bugger

5 minutes ago, Cecci said:

And if it DOES go nuts then?

when I put it back in, there is nothing no sound, only the sound's of the fans running nothing else, the fans on the video card don't even spin,

if youve got multiple ram sticks try with just one of them, and if still nothing, swap it for the other, could be a faulty stick

• Like 1

Try removing the graphics card if you have one, and switch the display to the onboard graphics of your motherboard. Restart the computer and see if the display is coming through there.

Prior to restarting the computer you should also trip the Chassis Reset Switch.

Edited by whereami

I have onboard video, i tried that, but its just dead, there is nothing. So im taking it in tomorrow as its still under warranty. In the meantime i have my old ASUS which is still more than capable of running most stuff anyways... Just figured you guys may have had a solution, 

thanks anyway, cheers

6 hours ago, enoofu said:

Is your CPU fan running?

Then you better go catch it????

• Like 2

11 hours ago, enoofu said:

Is your CPU fan running?

yup cpu fan is spinning, the lights are on but nobody is home..  not really sure where to go to from here to be quite frank. I've unplugged everything trying to find a solution, but to no avail, even tried using a bootable usb to get in, but still no go. it's just dead.

just dropped it into the shop, and because it's all under warranty they'll take it apart and find out what the issue is, free of charge, the irony of it all is, that my old asus computer I have had over 4 years, I just put it away as I didn't think I would be needing it again in a hurry, and no more than 5 mins later the new pc drop dead...this is really weird. I hadn't done anything to it, it just died right there on the spot.

It's possible a bearing went in the PSU or CPU fan and damaged another part.  It's not uncommon a failing mobo can take connected parts with it.  Same goes for PSU or power surges.

Similar incident happening to me, waiting for parts to come in.  Replacement mobo and PSU and still no display, no system beeps.  I think CPU has shuffled off this mortal coil.  After the new CPU and graphics card arrive, that makes it enough new components to qualify as a new PC build lol.

Plus side for me is that the new CPU is cheaper and equals proc power without overclocking and the graphics card costs 10usd more then it's previous model and is in all aspects an upgrade.

this is why I don't normally buy from a computer shop, I normally buy a brand name computer, from a department store, the last time this happened, I took it back and ended up with the ASUS I have now.

just received word that it was the motherboard, which is extremely rare for gigabyte MB apparently I don't know anything about that side of things but at least I know what the deal is now.