\steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\_CommonRedist\vcredist

If that does not help, see these threads:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/4/451850213947024711/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/4/133259227525505780/

PS: I figured out how to fix it.
Step 1) Open up the application folder and go to the sub directory of: Runtime
Step 2) Copy msvcr100.dll and place it into the WurmLauncher directory 

Also:

Recommend installing microsoft visual C++ redistributable. That will fix the .dll issue

Do you have a custom edit in your Java  File Path? (see close-to-last post that thread)

Keenan may want to see this since it was something he was following before. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Do you have Java installed?? ..doesn't look like that.

java usually comes prebundled with the Steam version of WU doesn't it? So you don't need to install it separately? Also looks like he has been playing WO fine and is only now switching to WU, so I imagine his normal Java is working ok just not his steam installation of the gajme. . 

One of the posts in the threads I linked had a similar issue though when they edited their line OverrideDefaultJavaPath=false  to say True instead (editing it back to "False"  fixed the issue.)

Most of the people with the same CMD.exe issue said installing the Visual C++ libraries fixed it, that it was due to a missing msvcr100.dll file (which I assume installing the the included C++ Redistrib files fixed)

Check the two links above from the WU steam tech section, 

"When I click play, I get a box (C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe) that says "press any key to continue...." when I press a key the box closes and nothing happens"

okay I managed to get the WU client to launch but when I try to start up my own server I get this error

f43ed14f208ce0f943292ec8cab94ba2.png

Frankly I would probably try uninstalling and reinstalling the game if you have not already tried that.

I have never liked installing any games through the Program Files (x86) or "User" folders, as Windows at times is very cantankerous about maintaining control of those "system" owned folders.  With Steam installations in particular, the file paths potentially end up so long and complicated that you up the odds of having issues with "path too long" for some programs to handle.  So my recommendation is to have Steam installed instead to a path such as C:\Steam  or C:\games\steam\    --     but if you already have a lot of other steam software installed, I can understand not wanting to mess with the default installation paths.

I will also poke around a bit more to find out who else has had this new error message, and what they did to solve it.  

Edit:  there is a mention in the steam tech stickies about "failed to load jvm.dll", see this thread

However, one of the problems in my view with setting the override to the usual windows java installation path (not the steam WU java version) is that every new java update has a new and different path, so if wurm stops supporting older java versions, having this override could also potentially cause issues, and by then you may have long forgotten the changes you once made. Still, it might be worth trying to see whether it gets you into the game for now.

edit2: you may have already done this, but also try running the executable "As Adminstrator" to see whether that makes any difference. 

Just as a curiosity, have you tried temporarily logging into any random public servers just to see whether those load ok? 

edit 302345

I cannot remember now whether you still have to separately download the dedicated server files to run solo lan play, I have both of these currently installed on my system as one of them used to give me trouble:

D:\steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server

D:\steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher

On your normal client launcher, try both with the "use dedicated server" box checked and also unchecked and see if they both give the same error.

If you don't have the dedicated server files installed (they are not well documented, and are NOT automatically installed), look in your Steam library, on the top toolbar under Library look for TOOLS  > WURM DEDICATED SERVER

I am thinking that one works better for solo standalone play than the server files bundled with the original game download. 

Same error on both server installations (regular + dedicated) so that idea didn't help.

Did you try the suggestions in the sticky thread here

The game or server is not starting, and sometimes the message "Failed to load jvm.dll" is visible.
This happens when the game for some reason is unable to load the jvm.dll that we provided with installation. 
By default the game looks for Java within the runtime folders, however you can override this behavior by editing the LaunchConfig.ini.

You need to set OverrideJavaRegEntry to true and JavaPath to where you have Java installed and where the jvm.dll is located.
For example:

[Runtime] OverrideJavaRegEntry=true JavaPath=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_51\bin\server

Again I am not as big a fan of this solution because the path of java changes with every update and you might forget later that you edited to what was then the current version.

This may not matter unless Wurm no longer supports that specific java version (or the old installation is deleted on an update) but by then you might forget you had once edited the file.

Still, I am curious whether this provides at least a temporary fix.

Out of curiosity, do you have 32 bit windows or 64 bit windows?

15 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Same error on both server installations (regular + dedicated) so that idea didn't help.

Did you try the suggestions in the sticky thread here

The game or server is not starting, and sometimes the message "Failed to load jvm.dll" is visible.
This happens when the game for some reason is unable to load the jvm.dll that we provided with installation. 
By default the game looks for Java within the runtime folders, however you can override this behavior by editing the LaunchConfig.ini.

You need to set OverrideJavaRegEntry to true and JavaPath to where you have Java installed and where the jvm.dll is located.
For example:

[Runtime] OverrideJavaRegEntry=true JavaPath=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_51\bin\server

Again I am not as big a fan of this solution because the path of java changes with every update and you might forget later that you edited to what was then the current version.

This may not matter unless Wurm no longer supports that specific java version (or the old installation is deleted on an update) but by then you might forget you had once edited the file.

Still, I am curious whether this provides at least a temporary fix.

Out of curiosity, do you have 32 bit windows or 64 bit windows?

I have a 64 bit windows and I have tried following the suggestion and it did not work

Did you try yet uninstalling then reinstalling the game from STEAM?

I know it's kind of a pain to have to download it all again.

21 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Just install java... http://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=225355_090f390dda5b47b9b721c7dfaa008135

All your problems will be gone, I am pretty sure.

Well I'm pretty sure java is all ready installed as I play WO 

21 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Did you try yet uninstalling then reinstalling the game from STEAM?

I know it's kind of a pain to have to download it all again.

yes sir I have tried that and didn't fix the issue

45 minutes ago, antonslavick said:

Well I'm pretty sure java is all ready installed as I play WO 

64 bit version?

See this thread (they had the same issue -- starting first with the black CMD.exe issue which reinstalling 2010 2012 2013 C++ libraries fixed, then ran nto the the "missing jvm.dll" like you have now):

the most important part is the very last paragraph, especially the JRE_HOME bit:

The game would not run at all until all three of these fixes in place and it took a while to hit the right combination.

If anyone else is still having the issue run through the following steps:

1. (IF when enabling debug=1 in the launcher config file, you do not have any console (black window) pop up when launching WU, follow this step. If you're just getting the "Failed to load jvm.dll" error, skip to 2) Head over to Microsoft's website (http://www.microsoft.com/) and download the latest 2010, 2012 and 2013 Visual C++ redistributables and install them onto your system.

2. Ensure you have a recent java install, navigate to C:\Program Files\Java, find your java JRE folder and copy the directory (For example: C:\Programs Files\Java\jre1.8.0_66) (Important to note JRE, not JDK)

Open your start menu, right click 'Computer' and click on properties.

Click on Advanced System Settings.

Navigate to the Advanced tab and click on Environment Variables.

Check for a "JRE_HOME" (Case doesn't matter) variable under System Variables, if one does not exist create it. 

Edit "JRE_HOME" and set the value to your JRE folder, then press ok. (The directory you copied earlier)

Next locate the "Path" (Case doesn't matter) System (not user) Variable and edit it.

Paste in your directory at the start of the 'value' box, add \bin; to the end. (It should look something like C:\Programs Files\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin;next\path\etc)

Press ok and close out of the dialogues.

Once you've followed both steps, close out of the properties and restart your computer.

Try launching WU and hopefully it'll work. :)

see also:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/4/351660338686721600/

** Note, I would probably set a SYSTEM RESTORE POINT before monkeying around with the System Variables edits. Also make sure System Restore is actually enabled as I think the default in some setups is for System Restore to be disabled.