Sign in to follow this  
Gaffer

Moon motions under the new client

Those of us who occasionally leave our mines and look toward the sky have noticed that the regular eclipses of Sol by Jackal no longer occur.  In fact the motions of the moons are significantly different since the release of the new client.  The backdrop of stars has shifted too.   Before I invest *alot* of time in screen shots, vector algebra and spherical trigonometry it would be good to know if these changes were deliberate or if they just happened inadvertently.  The latter is a very real possibility since a change in direction of star motion was one of the last fixes put in before the client release.   The star motions weren't automatically right in the new client so it is reasonable to think that active attention would have been required for the moons as well.  And the nature of their current motions opposite that of Sol and the stars inclines me to think they could use a correction too.

Could someone on staff please drop a reply indicating whether or not the new motions of the moons are the intended ones?

Edited by Gaffer
  • Like 6

Does the daily eclipse of the sun by Haven still hapen in the evening? By "eclipse" I of course mean Haven being in the middle of the sun's orb, as the moon is far too small to eclipse it. But it used to be a daily event in the evening ever since Haven appeared in the sky. Lately, I seem to either log in only at night or am so busy that I forget to look up during the day. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled during the next sunset.

Haven is no longer stuck to Sol.  I haven't done the work to establish new orbits for any of the moons but from casual observation Haven's orbit appears to be coplanar with that of Jackal.  You will see Haven transiting in front of Jackal now and then.

No wonder the tides on my deed have been so out of whack lately...

• Like 1