Sign in to follow this  
Lei

Rework Thatching

Thatch

I've been working on building a small hunting cabin on Xanadu. I live on Release, so Xanadu is like a vacation for me. I'm really trying to keep the deed as simple as homey as possible: Wooden walls, pottery floors - Think of it as a typical mountain getaway. Rustic. But in doing so, I wanted to make the roof appear rustic too; what better way to do so than to make a thatched roof. Now going into this, I thought it would be easy. No one builds thatched roofs because they look "bad" or they're too "noobish" and old-school (the old players will remember thatch roof looks quite similar to how roofs used to be before multistory, before we had an option for different roof types), or whatever. But in my experience, this is absolutely not the case. 

Thatch is insanely hard to even begin doing. The first requirement of thatch is that you must have 21 Thatching skill to even begin a roof on a building. Not too bad. Other skills are similar: masonry has its stone work. Floors in houses have their paving requirements. But there is a difference with thatching. The only way to grind your thatching to 20 is to make thatch. And each successful thatch skill gain is so incredibly small, that even with sleep bonus on, getting to 21 thatching will take hours(I'm talking like an entire day or more). And as the skill increases as the floors up you go. So at the third floor you have to have 22 thatching, and 3rd: 30 thatching, and so on.

I'm not saying the entire thing needs scrapped, but there needs to be some work on the starting requirements because as it is now, its a very grindy thing to use.

There is a reason you don't see thatched roofs around your neighborhood, and its not because they look bad, its because they're a ton of unnecessary and illogical work.

What does the rest of the community think about grindy thatch?

~Lei

• Like 1

i have it easy for me... once i get it i have many thatch so i can make alot of roofs  and i use SB and coc laggat for skilling. i mybe do tiles of roof after. like slate more

+1, even if it's just adding something that can be imped via thatching.

• Like 2

Thatch can be troublesome, imping the thatched roofs proved to be quite useful in accelerating this after I was able to place one. 

Ah the joys of skilling by creation.  Yes, attempting to skill ANYTHING using creation only ticks is an adventure is masochism.

Though I feel that, in this instance, the underlying problem of being able to skill via creation should be addressed in favour of providing a mechanic for a single skill.

16 hours ago, Delacroix said:

+1, even if it's just adding something that can be imped via thatching.

Would be cool if practice dummies where filled with thatch and had carp imp tools to level thatching.

• Like 1