Sign in to follow this  
Dorian

Tower guard killed a cared for, tamed champion Wild cat on deed

Greetings, 

Upon returning to my deed as Flunky, I heard sounds of a wild cat being attacked.  I saw in my combat logs that it was a tower guard attacking an old champion wild cat, which was the cared for pet of Dorian.  I contacted a GM who confirmed it was not a griefing by another player as no others have been around the farm for a while.  The old wild cat was cared for, a pet, and not branded to the farm deed.   When Dorian logged on he saw the message [19:36:45] Your pet is nowhere to be found. It may have died of old age., so I know it was still tamed.

Below is the combat log (with a bit of event log), don't laugh that I tried to cast heal on the cat, it was the only thing I could think of to try and save it.  LOL

Spoiler

~Event Log~

[19:31:16] You enter Mihr Valoel.
[19:31:35] The sounds of bees disappears in the distance.
[19:31:36] You hear bees, maybe you are getting close to a hive.
[19:31:41] The sounds of bees disappears in the distance.
[19:31:44] You hear bees, maybe you are getting close to a hive.
[19:32:09] You stop healing.
[19:32:09] An old champion wild cat is dead. R.I.P.

~Combat Log~

[19:31:40] Isles tower guard hits old champion wild cat hard in the calf of the right hindleg and hurts it.
[19:31:48] Isles tower guard hits old champion wild cat hard in the thigh of the right hindleg and hurts it.
[19:31:49] Old champion wild cat bites Isles tower guard hard in the stomach and irritates it.
[19:31:49] Old champion wild cat claws Isles tower guard pretty hard in the stomach and slaps it.
[19:31:49] Isles tower guard kicks old champion wild cat very hard in the thigh of the right hindleg and harms it.
[19:31:49] Isles tower guard hits old champion wild cat pretty hard in the thigh of the right hindleg and hurts it.
[19:31:53] Isles tower guard hits old champion wild cat pretty hard in the thigh of the right hindleg and hurts it.
[19:31:55] You start to cast Heal on old champion wild cat.
[19:32:03] Old champion wild cat claws Isles tower guard lightly in the chest and slaps it.
[19:32:06] Isles tower guard hits old champion wild cat hard in the thigh of the right hindleg and hurts it.
[19:32:09] Old champion wild cat claws Isles tower guard lightly in the left underarm and slaps it.
[19:32:09] Isles tower guard hits old champion wild cat pretty hard in the calf of the right hindleg and hurts it.

Also I originally posted this in Wurm Unlimited by mistake so please close that thread. 

Could it be the cat was maybe starving or hungry and tried to eat the guard?

Was the cat still tame when it was being attacked or had it gone untame?

A long time ago, there was a bug where if an aggressive animal went untame while the owner was offline, it would get attacked by guards. I have no idea if it was fixed but this sounds like the same bug.

32 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Could it be the cat was maybe starving or hungry and tried to eat the guard?

I tend to keep them all well fed, but that is an interesting idea about him getting hungry.  I know he wasn't starving.

18 minutes ago, Fabricant said:

Was the cat still tame when it was being attacked or had it gone untame?

A long time ago, there was a bug where if an aggressive animal went untame while the owner was offline, it would get attacked by guards. I have no idea if it was fixed but this sounds like the same bug.

He was still tame when he was killed.

If it was tame I don't think there should be any reason for it to attack a guard or the guard to attack it, unless it is a pvp server then that can be a different story and random pet slayings by guards happens all the time. I seen it happen enough on chaos and very hard to save animals in those situations, you have to be fast leading it away, usually no time to kill off guards or do healing spells.

Also if it was recently tame it still may of had a agro tag on the guard from before it was tamed.

Edited by JakeRivers

Was Dorian offline when it happened and was he using the default setting of having the pet log off with him?

Was the basis for saying the animal was tamed when killed, based on Dorian's message when logging back in that his "pet" was missing or dead? (ie suggesting he still had a pet to go missing/die)? Or did you see the final bit of the fight and verify the cat was tamed at the time? (You mentioned trying to heal it so sounds like you were there)

It's possible that the pet status for the message is only updated when he logs in (check for animals ID, note that the ID is dead)  and not when the animal goes untame (check animal ID, note that it is not a pet). it possibly depends on how the code looks for the animal's current status via its ID.

Also was there any chance the animal was pregnant or near any other animal that it might have had combat with (reducing its tame level and possibkly causing guard to attack it as wild)

If a pregnant animal gives birth, its baby can be wild and start a fight with its mum. this can reduce the mum's tamed level.

(I am just trying to brainstorm what might have happened, I have no idea what triggered it)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

17 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Was Dorian offline when it happened and was he using the default setting of having the pet log off with him?

Was the basis for saying the animal was tamed when killed, based on Dorian's message when logging back in that his "pet" was missing or dead? (ie suggesting he still had a pet to go missing/die)? Or did you see the final bit of the fight and verify the cat was tamed at the time? (You mentioned trying to heal it so sounds like you were there)

It's possible that the pet status for the message is only updated when he logs in (check for animals ID, note that the ID is dead)  and not when the animal goes untame (check animal ID, note that it is not a pet). it possibly depends on how the code looks for the animal's current status via its ID.

Also was there any chance the animal was pregnant or near any other animal that it might have had combat with (reducing its tame level and possibkly causing guard to attack it as wild)

If a pregnant animal gives birth, its baby can be wild and start a fight with its mum. this can reduce the mum's tamed level.

(I am just trying to brainstorm what might have happened, I have no idea what triggered it)

Offline: yes pet stayed online

Basis was yes regarding 'missing pet' message. It had been re-tamed a pet for about a week or so, and it was at the calm level when I tamed it.  I didn't have time to check if it was upset, nervous, etc with Flunky, I just thought heal it before it dies!  Flunky is my Fo priest alt.

This is the first time I've had a pet killed when offline, so not sure how to answer this one.  Normally they just go untame and I get the ' (critter) is no longer your pet' message.

Kitteh wasn't pregnant, however its older untame sister is in the pen next to the tamed one and both would get into the 'Grrrr' stance every now and again.

As a side note, the tower guards have completely ignored the Sister, who is a cared for, unbranded, untamed Champion Wild Cat, who is in the pen right next to the one killed.

Thanks for the brainstorming, yeah it's very odd, I've had lots of agro pets and non pets, on my farm and this is the first time a guard tower and one of my agro critters have every had an issue with each other.  It's a standard guard tower, the tower is not part of my farm deed or part of the deed permissions, it's just outside the perimeter.

The pet messages aren't accurate. You can tame something, kill it yourself, then log out and log back in and it will say that your pet is missing etc, so don't use that message as proof of still being tamed