Sign in to follow this  
Sila

foutains on highway

traveling on food somethimes give newbs hard time... when there is no water around...  lets give no decay on foutains that are on highways

• Like 1

Keep in mind it takes months for a fountain to disappear.  If you really can't be bothered to maintain your highway in that period of time, then it probably doesn't need a fountain.

• Like 2

well if your highway is up to 1k tiles its goes...  what if you have way more?

-1 I'm gonna have to go with no on this.  We're starting to go on a trend of anything attached to a "highway" is going to become a permanent fixture in wurm.

While yes, access to water is always welcome; when you start to make it easily accessible on any highway.  you slowly start to take away some of the "danger" in wurm.

You know, +1 lets make highways protect anything that touch's them!

I drop a pile of dirt on the highway, I can come back next year and load it up!

+1, Last I check, the majority of people in wurm do not like constant maintenance. There wouldn't be this many highways if roads were to decay, bridges don't decay as long as they are used (correct me if im wrong).

On 30/09/2017 at 3:52 PM, Wargasm said:

Keep in mind it takes months for a fountain to disappear.  If you really can't be bothered to maintain your highway in that period of time, then it probably doesn't need a fountain.

If it takes months to disappear, then making it so it doesn't have to be repaired would be a subtle difference.

On 30/09/2017 at 5:55 PM, Tallios said:

While yes, access to water is always welcome; when you start to make it easily accessible on any highway.  you slowly start to take away some of the "danger" in wurm.

The "danger" that everybody enjoys? Access to water is so easy, just live near the shore. This suggestion would actually influence people to live more inland. The first thing on a newb's mind isn't "Oh darn, time to get a pendulum or cow so i can drink" Its, "Where is that lake with infinite water?" Besides, A new player without water is not a player in danger and enjoying them self. Its just a player that has to spend more time regaining stamina while hiding in their locked fenced in area. Does that really sound like fun?

You know if you took the time to imp those fountains up instead of dropping creation ql down they will last a very long time, same with building guard towers, why bother if you not going to imp them up, they will just decay and pop eventually.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

You know if you took the time to imp those fountains up instead of dropping creation ql down they will last a very long time, same with building guard towers, why bother if you not going to imp them up, they will just decay and pop eventually.

Sorry, Im the type of guy that likes to tie their shoe once and slip my foot in whenever i go out. Never unties and im satisfied. Wouldnt mind fountains staying the same way. They could never decay on a highway but be bash-able.

It all honestly depends on how you view highways as well.

On 30/09/2017 at 5:55 PM, Tallios said:

We're starting to go on a trend of anything attached to a "highway" is going to become a permanent fixture in wurm.

Highways are protected and connected to people who pay for their towns. If my deed keeps buildings from needed permanent repair, then i feel the highway i connected to my town to protect should function the same way. Whether its the lamps that keep the road lit, or the water available to to keep the traveller full on water.

LOL

You know most fountains are not even on a highway, imp the ###### or just remember to haul water with you, you have a waterskin right? Use it

Next suggestion coming is for anything left in my perimeter should not decay, I paid for it!

Edited by JakeRivers

31 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

LOL

You know most fountains are not even on a highway, imp the ###### or just remember to haul water with you, you have a waterskin right? Use it

Next suggestion coming is for anything left in my perimeter should not decay, I paid for it!

LOL

You know this suggestion is talking about fountains ON the highway. Come up with a better ##### reason or find something else better to do. You have a brain? Utilize it.

Next suggestion coming is to add a dislike option for comments to lower reputation.

Ps: Its not about the people who are already set on wurm and understand whats going on. Its for the unfortunate. The people who died on a journey because of lag and have to travel back for their stuff. The people who are starting the game and have to find a place to settle. They don't have waterskins right? (Did they add water skins :blink: for noobs)

11 hours ago, Yiraia said:

about fountains ON the highway.

do you even know what you are talking about? the chance of a highway just happening to be directly over a water source tile is about 1 in 20, so most fountains placed along a highway are not actually on the highway itself but usually a few tiles over

if I find any fountains along exo highways I will make sure to cart them away because you folks are silly to the extreme and I hope you all die of thirst in the wilds of exodus because you forgot to bring water with you on your trip.

4 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

do you even know what you are talking about? the chance of a highway just happening to be directly over a water source tile is about 1 in 20, so most fountains placed along a highway are not actually on the highway itself but usually a few tiles over

The sad thing is you know what you are talking about... but you just aren't realizing it. You can place a road ONTO a fountain, then you can protect it. Roads aren't pre-generated by wurm, they are made by the player and we all know it. If we want, we can destroy the road and place a fountain on it, or simply branch off to make a fountain on the road. It's okay to dislike a suggestion, but when you reasoning is terrible then I like to jump in bat **** crazy :D. This suggestion is asking to remove decay on fountains that are placed on roads. Your reasons for being against this is:

On 30/09/2017 at 9:22 PM, JakeRivers said:

You know, +1 lets make highways protect anything that touch's them!

1)Sarcasm, going to the extreme and saying everything on a highway should be protected.

On 02/10/2017 at 11:50 AM, JakeRivers said:

2)The fact that it takes little to no effort. That's not a bad reason to dislike the comment, but it also shows that the effort to make a fountain that lasts a while is small and insignificant. So why have it? Also, who said theres only going to be 1 fountain, what if there are several areas where the fountains will be. Now you have to go through the effort of repairing all of them. If i saw a fountain that said repair me, I would be far too lazy to sit their and do it.

16 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

3) You bring up something that is not even relevant to the suggestion... makes me upset when that happens :(. This suggestion is about fountains ON highways, and you argue that most fountains aren't on highways... Ex: Most orchards are kept off-deed. Does that mean orchards on deed should not get a bonus? According to Jakerivers that is correct.

if I find any fountains along exo highways I will make sure to cart them away because you folks are silly to the extreme and I hope you all die of thirst in the wilds of exodus because you forgot to bring water with you on your trip.

4) You fail to use your brain and even think about the fact that a fountain can be made BEFORE the highway. Then you assume that the fountain are for people who are prepared to make their journey. Some people who are prepared don't even need highways (currently now a bit faster because of tree collision \o/ ) to navigate. A person can look at mountains and deeds and find their way through the woods instead. Like i said before,

15 hours ago, Yiraia said:

Ps: Its not about the people who are already set on wurm and understand whats going on. Its for the unfortunate. The people who died on a journey because of lag and have to travel back for their stuff. The people who are starting the game and have to find a place to settle. They don't have waterskins right? (Did they add water skins :blink: for noobs)

It's a slight change I know, and I'm not saying "THIS NEEDS TO BE A THING, ITS #1 ISSUE." But the reasons against this idea is just... lame. There are more pros than cons. The only con here is that the person who made the fountain would not need to imp it.

last thing we need is random paving all over with catseyes protecting fountains in random locations just so someone never ever has to imp or replace a fountain ever again, a object made by chipping a few rockshards combined

on small servers such as exodus fountains are not needed, virtually anywhere on the server is near water, indy/chaos/xanaduh on high mountain pass's or high elevations sure they have a use, but its something someone can maintain, if they decay easy enough to replace, its a handful of rockshards

-1 so against having every single little thing off deed protected, the new system already protects more than it ever should

• Like 1

I agree. If its not highway related and necessary for its operation, it should not be protected. We already have a system in place for fountains to remain where they are placed: its called quality, and it makes them last a long time. If you can't take 10 minutes out of your time twice a year to repair and imp a fountain, then clearly you don't care enough about it. I'm with Jakerivers on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

indy/chaos/xanaduh on high mountain pass's or high elevations sure they have a use, but its something someone can maintain, if they decay easy enough to replace, its a handful of rockshards.

I've lived in xanadu... I would not want to take time out of my day to maintain a fountain 1 hour + away from my home occasionally.

3 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

I agree. If its not highway related and necessary for its operation, it should not be protected.

Water and food for a human is like gas to a car. Sure a person can carry extra tanks of gas in their car, but is everybody doing that? 

3 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

If you can't take 10 minutes out of your time twice a year to repair and imp a fountain, then clearly you don't care enough about it.

1) No clue where you got 10 minutes from. It could take hours depending on your distance from the fountain AND if there are multiple fountains.

2) If you only need to maintain it twice a year and its so insignificant, why not just remove it? Obviously the person who can make a road and spend time placing a fountain on the road is well prepared for any issue that faces that wurmian. Why would that person care about it enough?

-1 so against having every single little thing off deed protected, the new system already protects more than it ever should

It is connected to a deed that is being paid for. Those without a deed can not do this.

so you feel entitled to having your fountains and anything else you want to drop alongside a highway last forever because

1 - you are too lazy to improve anything beyond creation quality

2 - you never want to leave your deed to replace anything that may decay from being too lazy to improve it in the first place

3 - too lazy to want to carry around a bit of water should you need to quench your thirst, maybe they should have hotdog stands along the highway as well, since you can't be bothered to haul water along, you sure not going to have any food with you either

-1 do not water up Wurm totally please.

1 - you are too lazy to improve anything beyond creation quality

Imping to a higher quality would be quick. The amount of time it takes to do this is insignificant and there would be little change if it didnt matter.

2 - you never want to leave your deed to replace anything that may decay from being too lazy to improve it in the first place

I think being lazy would imply that i want to just relax, but Instead id rather spend time grinding than time repairing fountains for noobs

3 - too lazy to want to carry around a bit of water should you need to quench your thirst, maybe they should have hotdog stands along the highway as well, since you can't be bothered to haul water along, you sure not going to have any food with you either

You have reading issues... But thats okay. As a tutor, I am supposed to be stubborn and believe that a person can remember something if i keep shoving it in their face. I said:

On 02/10/2017 at 10:04 PM, Yiraia said:

I have seen new players in CA Help have issues making breakfasts... Hot dogs are a long way ahead of them. New players can't just forage drinks. They have to either find a cow to get 1kg of liquid with low skill, or get berries to juice for a drink. All of that could be avoided if you just live near the shore of course, so the suggestion would promote living near a highway with water.

I get it, you don't benefit from the suggestion, and neither does any other person who knows how to play the game well. But something a bit more important is the fact that it takes out a little factor thats annoying enough to make a post about, and makes wurm survival easier in land.

4 hours ago, Jaz said:

-1 do not water up Wurm totally please.

If you live near the shore, you won't notice a difference in your water supply.

9 hours ago, Yiraia said:

I have seen new players in CA Help have issues making breakfasts... Hot dogs are a long way ahead of them. New players can't just forage drinks. They have to either find a cow to get 1kg of liquid with low skill, or get berries to juice for a drink. All of that could be avoided if you just live near the shore of course, so the suggestion would promote living near a highway with water.

I get it, you don't benefit from the suggestion, and neither does any other person who knows how to play the game well. But something a bit more important is the fact that it takes out a little factor thats annoying enough to make a post about, and makes wurm survival easier in land.

If you live near the shore, you won't notice a difference in your water supply.

The thing is not to DISABLE water sources on highways but to NOT make them permanent just because they are on a highway. Your emphasis on the new user experience is wrong there, nothing stops anyone to put public water sources down, ther were always a lot of them and it is really not an issue to maintain them. I also don't see how food is related to this story, don't mix it here - water is "automagically" refilling in properly placed water sources, food you need to refill frequently for new players.

Wurm is the game we know it partly because we need to take care of the stuff we create / maintain and we need to consider what amount of stuff we want to maintain. I have more than a hundred lamps on highways around my places that I planted and care. Still it is not a big thing to push that repair button once in a few weeks on them. I'm against making too many stuff permanent - if we don't care about them let them go it will not hurt us anymore, others may reuse the area as they see fit. 

Just because something is on highways it should not be protected (the highways themselves are a bit too much protection in my view but I understand GM time can be used better than settling disputes about routes). We do not pay upkeep on those items - this is where something being on deed is special. Consider it like we pay some service fee to keep our stuff there in their current condition.

I really hope Wurm won't go the set-it-and-forget-forever direction.

I don't see how the new users benefit from the suggestion - I started playing Wurm away from water and used public wells. They really don't just pop from decay each week... QoL is used too easily as selling point for a suggestion lately.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jaz said:

The thing is not to DISABLE water sources on highways but to NOT make them permanent just because they are on a highway.

Suggestion is only to remove decay. Nothing about protecting it.

3 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Your emphasis on the new user experience is wrong there, nothing stops anyone to put public water sources down, ther were always a lot of them and it is really not an issue to maintain them

You have to make a pendulum and then look for the source. OP clearly talks about newbs having a hard time out there... How many new players do you think understand how to make a well. I met a person who spent their first time in wurm pushing a well around until he found a water source.

5 minutes ago, Jaz said:

I also don't see how food is related to this story, don't mix it here - water is "automagically" refilling in properly placed water sources, food you need to refill frequently for new players.

Are you talking about my hotdogs? Its a reply to Jakerivers after he said everybody should have hotdogs ready in their pockets if they cant get water.

6 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Wurm is the game we know it partly because we need to take care of the stuff we create / maintain and we need to consider what amount of stuff we want to maintain. I have more than a hundred lamps on highways around my places that I planted and care. Still it is not a big thing to push that repair button once in a few weeks on them. I'm against making too many stuff permanent - if we don't care about them let them go it will not hurt us anymore, others may reuse the area as they see fit. 

I pay for the deed, and wurm lets the buildings not decay. Once the deed is gone then it may go poof. You are right though, it is not a big thing to just push that repair button, so why keep it... This is also a protected highway, Nobody may "reuse" that area as long as that player keeps that highway protected anyway.

12 minutes ago, Jaz said:

I really hope Wurm won't go the set-it-and-forget-forever direction.

I don't see how the new users benefit from the suggestion - I started playing Wurm away from water and used public wells. They really don't just pop from decay each week... QoL is used too easily as selling point for a suggestion lately.

Wurm already headed in that direction... but okay. Playing away from water seems like an extremely boring way to play the game. Lack of water does not kill, unless you are running. But assuming you have a fenced in area, lack of water is just longer timers.

I would like to hear an actual Con of this suggestion.. other than "You can just do this." People used to either live near clay or take a journey every time to a clay pit (which i enjoyed more). If a suggestion was to make clay pits near your home would you say "You can just walk to the nearest clay pit." But everybody loves that and uses it if they can. Only reason why i enjoyed walking to a clay pit more was because after walking to the pit for my clay, i can come back with the resources i need. If i walk out to the fountain, I come back with nothing except hopes that a noob one day drinks out of it.

Small barrel of water in cart problem solved.

Waterskin on person prob solved.

Repair something or not just like everything off deed.  What's the issue again? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Brew said:

What's the issue again? 

What's the issue with removing decay of a fountain on a highway?

The issue is some really want to convert WO to WU - easy mode.

• Like 1