Sign in to follow this  
Aeryck

"Convert" tile with dirt and sand

Instead of requiring that dirt and sand be dropped to convert a tile, which is incredibly difficult when working on steep slopes, I suggest we be able to activate dirt and convert a sand tile and vice-versa.

Edited by Aeryck

We can level borders now. That's how I have been dealing with the slope issues I run into.

• Like 1

My issue isn't leveling, it's changing a tile from dirt to sand when it is a great slope.

2 hours ago, Aeryck said:

My issue isn't leveling, it's changing a tile from dirt to sand when it is a great slope.

What I believe @armyskinwas trying to say is that on the super steep slope you drop the sand on the shorter side and "flatten" the sand of dirt over, which would change the tile type respectively.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

ooooh neat. I'll try this. Thanks!

glad to help.

2 hours ago, Tallios said:

What I believe @armyskinwas trying to say is that on the super steep slope you drop the sand on the shorter side and "flatten" the sand of dirt over, which would change the tile type respectively.

Bingo 

this i needed to know recently. :P ty
Im almost sure that levelling used to change the terrain to whatever you were levelling with. 
(but does no longer, which is why i didn't think to try flatten)
I still want to +1 this suggestion

Edited by Steveleeb

To be fair, while the solution does work, it seems a bit unintuitive.

+1 to the original suggestion

unintuitive?

really?

that method makes it easy to convert a desert to dirt or vice versa, it is actually a very powerful tool for terraforming

16 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

this i needed to know recently. :P ty
Im almost sure that levelling used to change the terrain to whatever you were levelling with. 
(but does no longer, which is why i didn't think to try flatten)
I still want to +1 this suggestion

well I am not sure if flatten would change it since it is just averaging the slope from corner to corner, you want to use "level" since it will use the dirt or sand in your inventory

ok i recently had to test this *finds a pic*

Spoiler

W5eUmzF.jpg

As you can see, the slope beneath it is too high to simply add dirt to.
so i dug a couple of dirts from the cliff edge, then dropped a couple of dirts on its opposite non-cliff edge corner.
then i flattened it
Sure enough it reverted back to normal and while it did manipulate the cliff edge, it did not convert the sand to dirt.

it looks highly unprofessional and will always look unfinished until i figure out a way. 
I guess ile have to dig down the 80 slope to a 39 slope, whilst risking 0 stamina actions disabling climb, then, add 1 dirt,  then autolevel it back up. .. 3 times. 
I'm glad it's such a small job. the horror some people must be facing.

bump

Edited by Steveleeb

+1 to original idea since the flatten trick won't work if you cant drop a dirt on either sides because of slope, like when making a dirt wall 1 wide. 

not to mention it would make sense if you can use a dirt to make a tile dirt or sand to make a tile sand, kinda like paving.

On 5/21/2018 at 7:37 PM, armyskin said:

Hold dirt and level border. Easy peasy

doesn't work, just tried.

0ovJo5d.jpg
when i went down the slope to try it on the parrallel tile border, with dirt in my inventory (no sand, just dirt).. this happened;
FOkKORN.jpg
The bloody rock tile got covered in sand as i raised the tile border. I'm not carrying sand.

Edited by Steveleeb

by levelling a tile border with dirt.
Maybe I should make a bug report, maybe then it'll get sorted.

Plant grass on the dirtwall, drop sand on top. Make sure the sand covers a few tiles, so your flattening action won't be in connection to any dirt. Flatten the sand tile above the grass dirtwall. See if that brings you any luck, worked for me in the past. Sometimes the grass will convert to sand, sometimes dirt. Haven't really tested it alot to figure it out.

Edit: Ops, this thread was old!

1+ :D

Edited by Sharkin

On 6/14/2018 at 12:52 PM, DevBlog said:

PatchNotes.png

• New: Ability to switch dirt to sand and sand to dirt without having to drop the sand/dirt to turn one tile.
    • This will only turn tiles between dirt (not grass, not packed) and sand.
    • It consumes a whole unit (20kg) per tile.
    • It does not give any skill whatsoever.
    • It's classed under the terraform permission on deeds.

fixed!  ty

• Like 2