Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International 038

Please add an option to travel with the wagoneer to a destination! I would love to be able to visit distant friends without having to make the long trek myself. This would also encourage exploring the server in a less labour intensive manner. Any comments on this?

• Like 3

Slight delay as we're working on getting it out. it's a priority at the moment to get it up and out, sorry about that

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kyrmius said:

2.) Not everyone likes or agrees with how the new Highway system is designed and no matter how useful the new Wagoneer system turns out to be it will never reach full potential because the Wagoneer system will only be as widespread as the new Highway system, and these forums have a noticeable amount of criticism recorded for the Highway system already.

This is the fly in the ointment with this Wagoneer shipping system. By that I mean it requires massive across the server player cooperation to develop a highway route system for it to function on even a basic N/S/E/W route. Certainly a number of players will have no interest in adapting their deeds to suit this necessary highway system and who can blame them when they have created the esthetics of their deed layouts with care. For some their main enjoyment within the game is developing and living within their deed environments.

I am sure some routes will be built by the more ambitious players concerned with shipping bulk items but this is the only real purpose that this Wagoneer system serves. Yes, it may evoke a quaint picture as these Wagoneers slowly ramble along the new highway systems but as an afterthought of so many years of deeds being developed is it really of much significance to do all the work involved. Not for me anyway and I doubt I am alone in this viewpoint. This just may evoke more player conflicts as well when some players expect others to change their deeds to suit this Wagoneer trail of tears. We shall see...

=Ayes=

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pandalet said:

You will be able to see wagoners moving around the world when they're making deliveries - they do actually follow the highways and travel to their destinations.  They don't operate cross-server, and they can't swim (although they should use bridges, assuming the bridges are part of the highway).

the feature is nothing more than eye candy really

should involve players running carts or wagons doing delivery's

biggest argument for bringing back tree collision was player immersion, the wagoneer feature should be player immersion as well

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

I think the wagoneers could be very useful, and a good foundation for future features. Imagine player made quests you pick up from any message board, and then deliver to any wagoneer who then delivers it to the quest-givers personal wagoneer or the starting village wagoneer for pickup. Feels more immersive than just mailing it.

Anyway, I think I've been proven wrong about tree collision, not nearly as bad as I feared.

28 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

biggest argument for bringing back tree collision was player immersion, the wagoneer feature should be player immersion as well

Maybe allow players the option to ride with the wagoneer on the delivery as a passenger, or take the place as the driver with the NPC in the passenger spot while keeping the trip on rails?

4 minutes ago, LadyCygnet said:

Yes, but will I be able to order pizza?

Wouldn't count on 30 minutes or less or it's free ;p

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stormblade said:

LOL for all those wanting to ride the wagon while it delivers.

But imagine the timelapse passenger videos!

• Like 1

Not sure i like the wagoner. One thing i like about wurm is that you have to deliver your stuff yourself which is an adventure in itself. The wagoner takes away from that type of realism. Anything else is ok, i like the new mine doors.

I suspect the primary reason the wagoneer exists is to give people a reason to complete the highway setup. Without this feature there really isn't a big reason to get the highways all done in a timely fashion. With the feature there is a reason for people to do it.

Could be me being cynical however the timing and rate of highway updates likely can at least make a case for this.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nappy said:

I suspect the primary reason the wagoneer exists is to give people a reason to complete the highway setup. Without this feature there really isn't a big reason to get the highways all done in a timely fashion. With the feature there is a reason for people to do it.

Could be me being cynical however the timing and rate of highway updates likely can at least make a case for this.

I suspect you're right about this.  Quite ingenious actually, if true.  :) 

On the other hand, it doesn't follow that it's a bad thing even if true.  I think that this will be of benefit to the game ultimately, especially inland on Xana.  And I don't think this will make player-deliveries obsolete, as some others are thinking it might.  Those with coastal deeds that are easily accessible will still be able to get their goods delivered as always.  Those inland, (again, especially on Xana), will now have more access to deliveries if they choose to opt-in to the highway system or make a new deed along one of the highways in the future. Honestly, it's a rare seller willing or able to deliver inland currently. (and on north Xana, extremely dangerous for a newbie trying to make a few coins, lol).  I think that eventually, rather than just seeing the red dots on the map all clustered around the starter towns and coastal areas, they'll also be clustered along the highways, and maybe some of Xana's remote & sparsely populated areas will start seeing settlers.

1 hour ago, Nappy said:

I connected The Jungle to the highways, so goes right past Napland now if you want to connect that.

23 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

If they require it to involve players then it's dead on arrival, not just due to how boring travel is (though I admit it's not a boat, so it's not that bad) and how low the population is in general, but also due to the security issues you run into. Theft probably isn't an issue as that's easily stopped with mechanics, but what if the player goes halfway and then logs off for a week, what happens to your cargo then? So many issues with making players do the wagoner's job because you can't control the outcome.

But more importantly, how is actual npcs doing things that make sense in the world not immersive? I'd say it's way more immersive than a mostly empty world with no npcs in sight and almost no players either most of the time. Many of the bigger settlements could do with some nice npc activity because most places look like well maintained ghost towns. If anything is immersion breaking it's how dead the world is. More activity, even in the form of NPCs, is great for immersion.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

If they require it to involve players then it's dead on arrival, not just due to how boring travel is (though I admit it's not a boat, so it's not that bad) and how low the population is in general, but also due to the security issues you run into. Theft probably isn't an issue as that's easily stopped with mechanics, but what if the player goes halfway and then logs off for a week, what happens to your cargo then? So many issues with making players do the wagoner's job because you can't control the outcome.

But more importantly, how is actual npcs doing things that make sense in the world not immersive? I'd say it's way more immersive than a mostly empty world with no npcs in sight and almost no players either most of the time. Many of the bigger settlements could do with some nice npc activity because most places look like well maintained ghost towns. If anything is immersion breaking it's how dead the world is. More activity, even in the form of NPCs, is great for immersion.

I think for delivery's it could be handled in ways eve handles it, a time for delivery can be added, miss the deadline, loose the load, not all players want to travel, I noticed especially players who live on xanadu and indy, why settle on the biggest servers if you have a fear of travel? LOL 

But on the other hand there is a lot of players who would love to haul loads I am sure, but there is trust issues so most players would be reluctant to let these guys move there valuable goods. If there was a system that would show available loads on the server, where to pick up/drop off, payment and some mechanic added to prevent theft and ensure a time frame for the delivery is met I think this could be a great feature for wurm.

Also I think the same system could be set up for ocean travel with cargo captains/harbors set up on each server.

Get players more involved with the game, more activities to do other than just grind digging to 100, means more folks may want to play wurm, more players better economy once again.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I think for delivery's it could be handled in ways eve handles it, a time for delivery can be added, miss the deadline, loose the load, not all players want to travel, I noticed especially players who live on xanadu and indy, why settle on the biggest servers if you have a fear of travel? LOL 

But on the other hand there is a lot of players who would love to haul loads I am sure, but there is trust issues so most players would be reluctant to let these guys move there valuable goods. If there was a system that would show available loads on the server, where to pick up/drop off, payment and some mechanic added to prevent theft and ensure a time frame for the delivery is met I think this could be a great feature for wurm.

Also I think the same system could be set up for ocean travel with cargo captains/harbors set up on each server.

Get players more involved with the game, more activities to do other than just grind digging to 100, means more folks may want to play wurm, more players better economy once again.

This is likely the best post I have ever seen you make, have to say that I agree especially with your last paragraph.

22 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Just add a collateral held for the load. Person who picks up the contract must pay a collateral. If he fails to deliver, he looses collateral but keeps the goods. Put the items in a special sealed box/crate. If seal is broken, contract fails.

Its pretty theft proof and still gives it the sandbox feeling where the person delivering can still choose what to do with the items.

2 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Just add a collateral held for the load. Person who picks up the contract must pay a collateral. If he fails to deliver, he looses collateral but keeps the goods. Put the items in a special sealed box/crate. If seal is broken, contract fails.

collateral's will not work for the most part, for this system to be appealing it must be usable by anyone, not just people who have tons of silver in the bank

1 minute ago, JakeRivers said:

collateral's will not work for the most part, for this system to be appealing it must be usable by anyone, not just people who have tons of silver in the bank

Then we run into the problem of trust and thefts or self teleporting crates.

Muh immersion!

28 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Then we run into the problem of trust and thefts or self teleporting crates.

I am sure it can be coded so packages can not be tampered with once it is set up with the wagoneer for delivery, further I am sure it can be coded to reclaim undelivered freight as well.

3 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I am sure it can be coded so packages can not be tampered with once it is set up with the wagoneer for delivery, further I am sure it can be coded to reclaim undelivered freight as well.

So this would be limited to Wagoneers use only?

9 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

So this would be limited to Wagoneers use only?

I was thinking the wagoneer's could be spread around the server as depot's and that is where you would go to set the contract and find contracts to run.

Have one at each starter town by default and if wanted you could add it to your deed if you are on a highway system.