Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International 038

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The wagoner!
The introduction of the highway system was part 1, with part 2, we introduce the wagoner! 

This is an interesting feature, but I think there could be more features added that are tied into the highway system, any plans for other additions?

Any chance we could delete/disband an old trader in exchange for a wagoneer contract? I have a trader citizen in my village that I would gladly perform the deletion for.

Wagoner seems really strange if it's only works per server, a lot of bulk comes off server usually. Hopefully there is a means to connect to other servers, maybe if you link to the starting town? Far to many stubborn still with linking, please link your deeds people, you're only making the rest of us suffer.

Also that hidden person had to do with the new skill I thought. Now I'm confused. :(

I swear, since the update, I must have collided with 400 trees already! But I love it. I live in the woods and having the tree collision back makes the forest come alive once more. Thank you for bringing this feature back. The walk-through trees just didn't feel real.

As to the wagoner - WOW! Very exciting. What a great use of the new highway system. Awesome.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Niki said:

Wagoner seems really strange if it's only works per server, a lot of bulk comes off server usually. Hopefully there is a means to connect to other servers, maybe if you link to the starting town? Far to many stubborn still with linking, please link your deeds people, you're only making the rest of us suffer.

Also that hidden person had to do with the new skill I thought. Now I'm confused. :(

Even if the goods did come off server, it would give server-ports a new feature to have a wagoneer because off-server shipments could just dock at the nearest port, and hire the wagoneer to "mail" the bulk shipment inland.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed you'll didn't try to make something like Eve's contract system regarding the Wagoner system. NPC's arn't the Wurm way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lei said:

Even if the goods did come off server, it would give server-ports a new feature to have a wagoneer because off-server shipments could just dock at the nearest port, and hire the wagoneer to "mail" the bulk shipment inland.

I guess we'll have to wait for the details, I kind of hope it works cross server regardless.

• Like 1

Wagoners sound cool, hope somehow you can make Coastal Wagoner Deed, so they can travel cross server :D...

• Like 1

YAY - Wagoner ! Great idea ! Thank you for such cool new feature in game !

Which inspired me to suggest few more new ideas ;)

How about to add Traveling carriage and Cruise Ship to all starter deeds ?! You pay small fee for long distance travel , jump into Carriage and instantly teleport to another carriage at other starter deed within same server ( that ideal for traveling on Xanadu between starter deeds ), no luggage , just for players, especially newbs and whatever they carrying.

For traveling between servers you pay bigger fee and embark Cruise ship that docked at all starter deeds which teleport you to port ( server ) of your choice instantly just like portal.

And one more suggestion is to place Courier trader at all starter deeds that for small fee will sell all those non drop items such as sleep powders , spyglass etc Just like alive mailbox. You just trade item to him, pay small fee, set your price and provide name of player whom you selling item . After that your buyer can go to starter deed and receive his items for price you set from local courier. And maybe allow us to buy courier trader contract so we can place such couriers at our deeds as well ?!! :)

Hey maybe we can buy contracts for Traveling carriage and Cruise ships as well if we want to go fancy and can afford such luxury at our deeds.

Shall I post these suggestion on "Suggestions and ideas" tread ?

13 hours ago, Sila said:

well if responsible price (no more then 10s) all Xanadu markets will got em for sure at every starter deed.

14 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The wagoner will be available via a contract sold on traders as well as public ones at starter deeds. They may be set to charge a small fee per crate delivered, or free use.

Starter deeds going to have them already.

16 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Wagoners operate a special wagon for their deliveries.  When making a delivery, the wagoner will load his/her wagon, and drive it from the origin to the destination, unload the goods, before returning to his/her home deed.

Hopefully a step in the right direction:

Wagoners Repairperson operate a special wagon for their deliveries repairs for deeds. When making a delivery, repairs, the wagoner Repairperson will load his/her wagon, inventory and drive it walk from the origin to the destination, unload repair the goods, damage before returning to his/her home deed. staring spot.

Rather spend 10s for a npc that does this than a wagoner. or a monthly extra 1s in deed upkeep ( hell honestly I'd pay a 50s one time fee for this )

Interesting on the Wagoners, sad that it has to rely on the new highway system, hope the big chunks and holes in the highway system aren't to bad for these guys / ladies to roam and deliver.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Talohan said:

Starter deeds going to have them already.

oh great then i would not need to buy em at all :D  just 1 for GHM

The Wagoner sounds like an interesting system, but I do hope that it will be expanded upon as plenty of islands cannot be connected to said system and a lot of bulk goods are often bought from other servers as well, in which case the system also can't be used. I'd love to see a similar system with boats going between ports, best case even cross server at some point.

Perhaps something similar to highways can be made for water. Perhaps a route could be defined by deploying buoy every x tiles and then requiring another specific item on the edge of deed in order to connect it up to the buoy system. If said deed is also connected to a highway system and has a Wagoner then the wagoner could take the cargo further in land. The water side is obviously more complex as you probably don't want a buoy on every tile as that would just look silly, so you'd probably need the occasional pathfinding between them (if they are close enough to each other) in order to determine if one can be reached from the other.

I'd love to see the system expanded in such a way. Perhaps even with specific border buoy on the edges of each server to which the system can then be connected in order to allow for it to work between servers.

• Like 2

wagoner.png

Damn, Retro! For a moment I hoped you'd give us a camping kit as it certainly looked like that.:angry:

I'm not sure what to think of the wagoner system yet, as I even haven't worked at connecting my deeds to the highway system.

Still, those minedoors certainly do look good.:D

Thorin :)

Interested in this, but waiting to see exactly what it means.  I'm one of those that's iffy about NPCs added to the game doing auto functions in this pure sandbox environment, but won't judge until seeing it in full.

To me a good idea (if auto NPC wagon) is have the wagon not too fast in speed using slow bison.  If the wagon was just as fast or faster than doing it manually then no point in ever doing it manually.  Just don't want to see NPC's being an advantage over doing it yourself with geared animals.  I really feel that would be the start of the fall of sandbox wurm online.

Just my thoughts.  Could actually be pretty awesome though.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 2

The Wagoneer system is an interesting idea, but I too would have preferred to see a Contract System similar to EVE Online's system rather than a NPC running the roads. My two main issues are as follows:

1.) Wurm's current "players work out an unofficial and informal contract among themselves and hope for the best" system fails in my opinion (and I won't use it) because this is a world wide game and no two places on our world agree on the same standards of morals and ethics, not even here in this small group of players. Players disagreements over trade deals happen far more than they should and GMs are always having to deal with it to some degree or another eventually... and/or Wurm loses Players due to it and Wurm can't keep letting that happen.

2.) Not everyone likes or agrees with how the new Highway system is designed and no matter how useful the new Wagoneer system turns out to be it will never reach full potential because the Wagoneer system will only be as widespread as the new Highway system, and these forums have a noticeable amount of criticism recorded for the Highway system already.

Creating a Contract system similar to EVE would have addressed these to points AND encouraged player confidence in the game AND encouraged socialization in the game... because whether the Devs know it or not one of the reasons players don't do more Trade in Wurm is Wurm's primitive lack of some sort of contract system in the first place. I am one of them. Until the Devs implement some sort of decent contract system to protect players and bolster their confidence they can trade with other players without getting screwed over, there will be players like myself that won't participate much in the economy. A contract system would make player feel more secure in their trade transactions with others and maybe even encourage some people to play Wurm who until now haven't, simply because they know sandbox games are notorious for players scams.

I wish the new Wagoneer system the best, it will be useful for some players and they now have something they can get excited about.

Here's to the hope Wurm gets a real honest and secure Contract system similar to EVE's someday soon. A Contract system where WE the Players can be the Wagoneer.

Edited by Kyrmius
  • Like 4

Since it keeps getting brought up, please explain the EVE contract system.

4 minutes ago, Darmalus said:

Since it keeps getting brought up, please explain the EVE contract system.

Items are packaged into a container, contractor pays collateral and picks up package from shipper, contractor delivers package to receiver, gets paid and gets collateral back.

3 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

some worthless items are packaged into a container, contractor pays huge collateral and picks up package from shipper, contractor gets ganked during delivery of the package to receiver loosing everything, shipper reaps nice collateral

fixed for you ^_^

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2

Please keep the old wooden mine door as well.  Call this new one the Exquisite Wooden Mine Door and the old one the Heavy, or Rough, Wooden Mine Door. 

• Like 2

I think the idea of the wagoneer is a great idea, but should create player content rather than take away from it. 

Having players do the delivery's would be a good idea but would need some way to ensure contracts are done in a timely manner if a player takes it and a means to recover goods if a player takes a contract then parks the load in some mine.

Could even expand on this where players can earn coins by moving npc loads from one depot to another.

Edited by JakeRivers

You will be able to see wagoners moving around the world when they're making deliveries - they do actually follow the highways and travel to their destinations.  They don't operate cross-server, and they can't swim (although they should use bridges, assuming the bridges are part of the highway).