Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 28/SEPT/2017

Thank you!!!

Two questions :

Why the lead/ride role is checked and not the Manage equipment? This way horse lending with gear is still not an option - which would be the real stuff of this change.

What is the set_option command  for the great new brightness feature?

9 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Thank you!!!

Two questions :

Why the lead/ride role is checked and not the Manage equipment? This way horse lending with gear is still not an option - which would be the real stuff of this change.

What is the set_option command  for the great new brightness feature?

if the horse died someone with permissions would have to trek out and find it to retrieve the gear, with this system if the horse dies away from the deed the chances of someone being able to retrieve the gear and return it are much much higher.

This system is aimed at protecting the gear upon the death of the animal, but also allows retrieving the gear if lost on a deed. 

• Like 2

So was it ever confirmed by a dev if monsters would also abide by the laws of physics when it comes to trees? or nah?

1 minute ago, Legios said:

So was it ever confirmed by a dev if monsters would also abide by the laws of physics when it comes to trees? or nah?

as per budda, they will take trees into account in the new creature movement system,

That said, trees dont block vision, and moving around them is not actually hard, it's not like they will have insane boosts over players 

• Like 2

Just now, Retrograde said:

as per budda, they will take trees into account in the new creature movement system,

That said, trees dont block vision, and moving around them is not actually hard, it's not like they will have insane boosts over players 

Sounds good

37 minutes ago, Legios said:

Actually........Retrograde failed to mention that this new system isn't finished, nor does it appear that it will be any time "soon," and is merely one of many things on Budda's plate.

On 9/15/2017 at 8:58 AM, Amadee said:

Burning Question:  Are you going to address the issue of mobs not having the same restrictions as we do?  (ie: Mobs running through the trees in a straight line while players must run a zig-zag obstacle course, with the  mobs able to hit  through the trees while players cannot. Bad news for new players)

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/157604-valrei-international-036/&page=2

Budda's answer:

"Yes actually (somewhere in the list of 50 other things I want to do). When I get some time to go back onto creature movement in the near future, I have a plan to give creatures a way to path through a single tile in a similar way to how they path through an area.

Long story short, for creatures this will act sort of like breaking down a single tile into a grid where the positions of trees and whatever other undesirables will be visible to the creature, and they'll have to plan their movement through the tile using that information. Payoff of this will be creatures that act a bit more realistic, having to smartly path their way around trees and obstacles in the same way a player has to instead of ghosting directly towards their goal as they do currently."

I read that as it's on The List for someday.

ps: I did ask the obvious follow-up question.  Would be unreasonable to wait to enable collision until the creatures are also required to abide by it, and if it's unreasonable to wait, why is that?  No answer.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

You all know that the walk through trees were never intended as a permanent feature.  Should we enable riding on slopes above 40, because mountains are inconvenient? House walls seem inconvenient too, now that I think of it.  Devs have said from the start that it was a temp thing.

Well, if we are going to have tree collisions, let's take it all the way.  Make animals also collide with trees, with each other, and with players.  Let's collide with other players, carts, wells, fountains, bsbs, fsbs, shelves, forges, ovens, kilns, smelters, etc.  Makes no sense to just have us start colliding with only one item and leave us to walk right through everything else.  And until they work out the code so that happens, revert the tree collision back to what it was.

• Like 3

I'm going to be controversial here but...

Tree collision was needed; it made life on wurm a fair bit more dangerous outside civilised lands.

• Making other items solid (given their mobile nature) would be easily possible but horribly broken (trap someone on the second story of a house using a forge chimney?).
  • Animals pathing around trees is pretty resource intensive; while I agree it would be "fairer", I think larger servers (ohai Xanadu) would die under the lag this would induce.

• There is one thing that I do feel needs adding now; the ability to prevent trees sprouting on tiles deeds without planting; it makes maintaining a priest home ever more difficult and isn't desirable at all (it can now also make certain areas impassible).  Simple tick box "allow tree/bush spread to tiles", nothing fancy.
  • Some tree hitboxes (maples at least) seem a little larger than they used to be; it might be worthwhile to reduce them slightly as I can see several gaps I could easily fit through irl that wogic denies me.

I disagree with you, Etherdrifter.  For those of us that have played the game a long time, this change does not make things more dangerous, just annoying.  It does make it more dangerous for the newer players, and that is a problem.  We want ot see more new players, and making changes that make playing harder for them is not a good idea.  Imagine being a new player and you have to go around trees, but the creature you are running from can go right through them.  I found this annoying when I first started and it almost made me quit playing.  It took a lot of convincing from the guy that showed me the game to get me to keep playing.

This is also going to make my logging harder and more destructive.  I used to only cut down the overaged trees and left the rest alone, then took a wagon to collect the logs.  Now I will have to make sure there is going to be room along the route where my logpiles are located so I can take the wagon.  That means a lot of younger trees are going to be needlessly cut down.  This is only going to cause the deforesting of Wurm in order to get around and be able to run from mobs for many others too.

• Like 3

So it turns out it isn't the WU players who need to git gud.... 

It's the WO players ^_^

I knew it wouldn't stop at boat teleports.

11 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

Now I will have to make sure there is going to be room along the route where my logpiles are located so I can take the wagon.  That means a lot of younger trees are going to be needlessly cut down.  This is only going to cause the deforesting of Wurm in order to get around and be able to run from mobs for many others too.

I mean, COME ON.

Here's how you deal with tree collisions, it's these 4 keys I just discovered which are going to revolutionize how we play games... WASD.

And after all the outrage when new players were given better starter gear because it cheapens the game and other nonsense, we now have veterans ree'ing about tree collisions coming back?   Tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk.

Edit:  You're in serious violation of the twelfth doctrine!

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/147511-doctrines-of-wurm/

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

So it turns out it isn't the WU players who need to git gud.... 

It's the WO players

Please stick to WU :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I don't have a problem with tree collision, I kind of like it to tell you the truth. The only issue that comes to mind right now is this. I have several trees in the place I keep my animals. The annoying thing about this setup, is that since they don't care about trees, I very often find them inside those trees, especially my oaks and olives. That is a real problem with small animals like foals and sheep. Till now I could go into trees as well and find them. Are they going to hide from me for as long as they like now?

Can we get a simple tree avoidance system on their movements, at least till we got a better route algorithm? Nothing fancy, something like checking the 3 approaching tiles in the movement direction (if (x,y) is the tile you are and you have to go to (x,y+1) check (x-1,y+1), (x,y+1),  (x+1, y+1) and prefer (if possible) the ones without trees). You can even expand it to prefer tree tiles with smaller trees if there is no other path (like preferring to go through a lemon tree over an oak).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DevBlog said:

• Corpses of branded animals can only be looted by those people who had ride/lead permissions on that animal prior to it’s death and it’s only ‘protected’ in that manner until server restart.
  • Note:
    • You do not have to be a villager of the animal brand – you just need to have had ride/lead permission prior to the animal dying.
    • People without permission cannot take, open, butcher, bury or move the corpse.
    • This protection is removed with a server restart – at that time the corpse is available to anyone.
  •  

Can this please be adjusted so that owners of the deed that an animal belongs to automatically has the permission to actually butcher an animal?  Is rather aggravating in that I will need to go through and give myself permission to lead/ride all my branded animals that belong to my own deed.

though I will say, Thank you for looking into this Tich.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vroomfondel said:

Imagine being a new player and you have to go around trees, but the creature you are running from can go right through them.

Yeh, I remember those days.  I also remember it not making a blind bit of difference to my survival chances because, back in those days, I couldn't ride a damn horse.  Either way, if I was carrying over a certain weight, I was a dead man, whether I was running along a road or through a forest.  Actually, back in my day we didn't get such nice free equipment or even the damn aggro reduction buff so death was a frequent visitor till we got the tower up.

In fact, walled off "deedforts" (also known as dead zones) were more of a problem than a forest ever was, at least from my point of view because they often looked like safe havens and turned out to be anything but.

This is only going to cause the deforesting of Wurm in order to get around and be able to run from mobs for many others too.

It didn't before and it is unlikely to do so now.

• Like 2

We didn't have wagons before.  We do have wagons now.  That makes the difference.  I also remember many more open pastures and forests that were made thin in order to survive back then.  Thick forests were avoided and were much smaller than the forests we have now.

Edited by Vroomfondel

I have been for trees being trees again.  But regardless.  A new player won't have a wagon since they would not be able to command it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pashka said:

I have been for trees being trees again.  But regardless.  A new player won't have a wagon since they would not be able to command it.

You can be a new player with enough skill to operate a wagon and still not have enough fighting skill to defend yourself against the nastier creatures.

6 hours ago, DevBlog said:
  • Renamed shelves inside a container will no longer show the shelf item or wood type, just the custom name.
    • Shelves inside containers will now have the owner set to the creator or the last person to pick up/drop the unit instead of the container itself being the owner of the shelving.

It seems that Large Storage Units were passed over for this change, is there any intention to do the same to them?

5 hours ago, Baloo said:

Nice update - thank you all involved - except for tree collisions - we go thru crate racks, fsbs, trellises etc - so why not trees still ??? This will just be an annoying nuisance and entail much chopping of precious trees.

Maybe it should, I feel like everyone should at least try to give tree collisions a chance, when I first started it really got me hooked. It made the world larger, you had to really use your brain when you decided to wander into a forest. 

Lately the game has felt to easy, I don't understand why people think you should be ghosting through items. Making the game "Wurm" again is a good start, granted there is much more work to be done on that front but as I said earlier give it a chance.

You can be a new player with enough skill to operate a wagon and still not have enough fighting skill to defend yourself against the nastier creatures.

At least 40 fine carp to even start a wagon, ok let's say they buy one or someone gifts them one.  They need 21 mind logic to operate it.  That is at least premium status and a bit of work behind the char.  While they might not have the fight skill to defend themselves against the nastier creatures, That could be said for alot of people.  So if you wish to continue the argument, take NEW out of it.  They really have nothing to do with anything.  You do not like it and perhaps are not able to defend yourself against the nastier creatures on your main or perhaps an alt that is able to drive a wagon.  That is all I am saying.  It has nothing to do with NEW players.  Stop trying to act as if this is pick on new players day.

Current fight skill for both of my chars in the 70s. so no problem with anything that comes up on the Freedom Isles.  If I was on Chaos, some of those Valrei monsters would be a problem. but not going there as I don't do PVP.  You are correct, I don't like the change.  I feel it incomplete since the creatures can go through the trees,but I have to go around.  And as I said earlier, if we are going to have tree collisions, make collisions consistent and make us collide with every object, even other players.  I'm sure PVP players would object to that, but it is how fighting really goes.

Edited by Vroomfondel

11 hours ago, DevBlog said:

PatchNotes-300x79.png

Client Updates

•  Added color coding of damage in inventories (yellow/orange for 0-20 damage and red for 20+ damage) as well as option in settings to toggle this feature.

this is broken in backpacks on the player

12 hours ago, Sila said:

another nerf to LT

No nerf to LT, this was something on epic.

Spawns of uttacha have the ability to block any and all damage from an attack, what happened was despite doing zero damage from it being negated, LT still healed the attacker, which was obviously unintended.

This change makes it so if that chance to ignore the damage triggers, it doesnt heal the player attacking. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:36 AM, DevBlog said:

Added color coding of damage in inventories (yellow/orange for 0-20 damage and red for 20+ damage) as well as option in settings to toggle this feature

*toggles off* Nice option, thanks.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this