Sign in to follow this  
Cadh20000

Map/Deed settings mod request

I did a forum search and lots of browsing but haven't seen anything like what I want, so if this is already out there I apologize for the pointless post and would ask that you link me to it.

Anyway, I was thinking, you know how by default the map has "Private", "Village", and "Alliance" annotations that you can toggle on and off? Since at least the "Village" and "Alliance" ones are clearly server-side as the info is automatically shared to all members of the village or alliance, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a server-side mod that implements a "World Annotations" on the map. The idea is to have it automatically show all deeds above a certain size(with the minimum size for automatic addition being configurable by the server owner/admin of course), as if they were large enough to be "public knowledge", and have the options for smaller deeds to be added to it or not as the deed owner/mayor chooses(if the server owner/admin configures it to be allowed anyway)?

On a PVP server this would obviously be a huge drawback, but on a PVE server it would simply help with navigation without being as "cheat like" as the "Live Map" mod since you would obviously need to first find one of the shown deeds to use them to tell where you are on the map. Sort of like buying or being given an up-to-date map that only displays the larger or more  noteworthy towns/cities rather than every single settlement.

As an afterthought, my phrasing about it being like "buying" an up to date map made me think, could it maybe be implemented so you need an item in your inventory("Settlement Map" or some such) that you have to purchase from a trader/merchant to view the World Annotations?

Edited by Cadh20000
correcting grammar and adding info/question

Bumping this in the hopes of it not being forgotten...

Edited by Cadh20000

Have you looked at the out of game player maps?  I think the GMs like to leave road and deed maps for the players to make. 

@BelgrimWell, personally I'd like something like this on my own server, this isn't a feature suggestion for WO, it is a mod request for WU.

As for the GMs liking to leave it for the players to make, at the moment the only GM there is me. :P

Edited by Cadh20000

Doh!! Forgot to check the parent topic!!!

53 minutes ago, Cadh20000 said:

at the moment the only GM there is me

If you have the powers the WO GM's have, you should be able to hover at 500 or 1,000 feet and take a screenshot while looking down.  Some of the WO maps are actually based on something like that I think. 

But the idea of needing something in inventory to see it in game is very cool. 

Edited by Belgrim
added a thought.

Unfortunately, things tend to get hazy when viewed from high up, if I go high enough to see the whole map for a screenshot it is difficult to tell the difference between low land and water. (I already tried...) However even if that worked it wouldn't work to automatically enable it for all players who join, with or without the need to purchase an item.

Edited by Cadh20000

Been over a week since it was responded to in any way, so I'm bumping this.

Yea this is something Eject and I brought up a long time ago, would still love to see it happen.

@LifesaverM While similar to what I am looking for that isn't quite the same. What I want is to not even require a GM, instead have it added to the map automatically for all deeds over a minimum size(minimum size customizable by the server admin) and in the deed settings for those below that size(if allowed/enabled by the server admin). 

Edited by Cadh20000

Could an item be created that opens a webpage?  That would require then that item to act as a log on for it?  No idea if it is possible, but it would make it interesting.