Sign in to follow this  
Sorrow

Update Failed! (Error: Error opening connection to patch server.)

Anyone else getting this issue ?

Been trying for last 5 or 6 hrs with no luck. Was online earlier this morning perfectly OK.

Have tried moving packs elsewhere, but no change....

Any help appreciated :)

Sorrow

Thanks for your suggestion - but no luck...

I have edited the hosts file ( still had Wurm entry from the DNS issue a while back)

I have updated Java (was on 141, now on 144)

I have tried deleting the packs

I have tried both Stable and Unstable

I have cleared the java cache.

I have also tried using the play button on main screen

I have manually downloaded the packs

I have rebooted several times

I briefly managed to get past this, but as soon as I logged out - back to square one.....

One thing I can see in the log which is a bit strange is this:

Sep 23, 2017 5:48:34 PM class.GcGouch1v mMV5oPkCW
SEVERE: Input does not appear to be an Ogg bitstream

Sorrow

see also these old threads 

It's a long running issue that pops up from time to time

Some people edit their HOSTS file to use the update server's DNS numbers instead of lookup name  (explained in a few of those threads !HOWEVER! that can mess you up later if you do not edit it back after a few days)

NOT RECOMMENDED (BUT IT SOMETIMES WORKS)

Some people switch to Google DNS (or if already on Google DNS, switch off it -- try another other public DNS servers  listed here)

Works about 50-50, for some it helps and for some it doesn't do nuthin.

For everyone, the easiest and least "techie" solution that ALWAYS works (not fastest) is to wait as the problem resolves itself after anywhere from 4-48 hours

(I know -- who wants to wait 48 hours?!!?! But maybe for you only a few hours)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

1 hour ago, Sorrow said:

I have edited the hosts file ( still had Wurm entry from the DNS issue a while back) 

Be aware that if you edited the HOST file to a number Wurm used before, it is likely NOT using the same numbers today

If you edited it back to REMOVE the wurm entry, that is a good thing to do  In fact, it is critical to edit it back (ie, remove any WURM entry)  or you WILL eventually have issues, as those numbers are not permanent.

I would try maybe using one of the alternate DNS servers. I'd also probably try unplugging my modem/router/thingy, count to 10, then plug it back, only because i ALWAYS do that with any network connection problem.

May not actually help here but shouldn't hurt, and better than just restarting the computer though I do that too.

Very often this seems to go in spurts and suddenly affect MANY people at once, so expect others to show up here and maybe one of them will have a good solution.

OR -- it may be an entirely NEW issue unrelated to past ones, I am not sure what the SEVERE error about Oggbitstream is about)  

Maybe one of the client or network devs will know.

Seems to be working again now, done nothing else since .... strange

Still getting the Ogg message, but not causing a problem.

Thanks for suggestions tho :)

Eventually, it ALWAYS starts working again, just depends how long.

What happens is, every ISP keeps a lookup list of websites and their IP addresses, which can change from time to time (this is why directly editing the HOSTS file is a bad idea even though the fastest solution for some)

These records also sometimes seem to get either corrupted or accidentally replaced with an out of date list. These lists get updated every few hours for "good" ISPs, and every few days for not-so-good ones.

If a list gets corrupted or updated with an old list, you have to wait till it gets fixed, for some ISPS again it is hours and for others it is days.

Sometimes it seems to resolve itself if your connection takes an alternate route, or again if you assign some "better" DNS service (not your default ISP DNS server)  that is known to update very often.  

I am not really very good at network stuff, so perhaps someone who is expert at networks can correct any layman's misunderstandings I have.

10 hours ago, Namgei said:

I've waited for months but nothing happened, unfortunately :(

Is there a chance that, at some point in the past, you had edited the HOST file to get a connection?  This was once a very popular workaround in the Wurm community because it gave an immediate "fix", but the problem was that it thereafter kept pointing to the same IP address instead of allowing a DNS lookup to find it, meaning if the IP address changed yet again in the future (as it often would), you were now permanently pointing at the wrong address.  Although we warned people to change the HOST file back again after a day or two, we stopped making the HOST edit suggestion at all because so many people never did this part. Once they got into the game the first time (often a year or two previous), they never looked back.

If you have "waited for months and nothing happened," does that mean you have been unable for months to connect to the game and unable to play at all for months?

You might open the HOST file with notepad and completely delete any lines that reference Wurm, the file location is:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

This is also assuming you are also getting this EXACT error message:

If you DO get this exact wording in the error, and your HOST file has no mention of Wurm, and you have been unable to connect for months, are you on any kind of work/military/school network?

Are you using any kind of a third party firewall/security software?