Sign in to follow this  
Yiraia

Harpooning & Crude Jewelry

Fighting sea creatures:

Spoiler

Currently, the method of hunting a sea creature is to target it, and get near it with the boat. Poke your two handed swords or brandish your mauls into the water, and then eventually a dead shark will come up ready to butcher. NO MORE! Personally, I would like see sea creatures have much higher evasion. Something like dodging 95% of the time when approached with melee attacks, and receiving 10% of original damage. Archery is a more decent option, but I would like to see arrows do “okay/meh” damage to sea creatures. Rather than pulling out a sword or a bow on a whale, let's get some real weapons. Harpoons!

Harpoons, for the sake of balance, will only be effective on creatures in the sea yet usable on land. I say “creatures in the sea” rather than “sea creatures” so we can harpoon things such as bearsharks or even stray ocean horses for low skill practice. This way people can’t go coast to coast harpooning trolls, even though that honestly sounds awesome.

The quality of the harpoon, skill in fishing (as if fighting), and skill in polearms will determine damage(+body strength here) and accuracy(+body control here). NOT FIGHTING, A person who has spent years in melee combat should not have the same knowledge as a harpooner. I’m pretty sure fighting has no effect on archery (barely did it, just maxed from target) and would suggest it in this case as well.

The harpoon can be crafted with a 5kg harpoon head, 1 staff, and 1 thick rope. The metals to create the harpoon head can only be iron, steel, or lead. Iron would be normal, steel would increase durability by 20%, and lead will increase damage dealt by 20%. One thing I will hold debatable is whether weaponsmithing or ship building should be the skill for imping the harpoons. Weaponsmithing makes more sense to me, but ship building seems to offer shipbuilders something useful to imp in bulk for skill and be useful as well. Imp set would be carpentry imp tools though, just like wooden spears.

As for combat, I don’t know how the sharks manage to jump on the boat to bite my crotch and then leap back in the water just to strike again. Rather than the sea creatures fighting us while on the ship, it would be nice if they solely focus on damaging the boat, knocking people off the boat, and attempting to evade harpoon shots. In the fight chat, it should show the sea creature state of attack, just like a hell hound going into frenzy. Lets use a shark as an example: You decide to throw a harpoon at a shark, the first shot would be more likely to hit since its not alerted yet. Whether the shot is a hit or a miss, the shark is now in combat mode. The sharks aggro system will set priorities. 1st priority is attack anybody in the water, 2nd priority is to attack the boat that is attacking it, or choose to evade. Sharks won’t randomly attack boats though.

2nd priority: Attack and Evasion. “The shark is now offensive,” or something similar will show up for attack mode. Attack mode is when the shark decides to come and attack the boat to deal damage and have a slight change to knock a person off unstunned, disrupting throws. If the boats Effective Quality has reached 30ql, then the shark will have a decent chance to knock the boat hard enough to send people flying 4-6 tiles away from the boat, and stunned for 5 seconds, yet do no more damage to the boat. Don’t worry, you can keep your precious caravels. People who flew off the boat (there is a chance to fall, so commander or passengers may stay) are stunned for 5 seconds and have to swim back (swimmers are in 1st priority). If there is nobody in the water and the shark is still attacking the boat, it may go evasive. “The shark is now evasive,” At this moment you will have a harder time hitting the shark and you will get no damage dealt to you. It will swim around randomly around the area visually as well. This is a prime time to think “Do I really think I can handle this? My effective ql might be 35 right now and I don’t want to fight while getting knocked off.” So this will be the period where you would either sail out of the sharks aggro range, or continue the fight. Continuing around 30ql will result in you occasionally being knocked off trying to throw harpoons at a shark.

1st priority: So when you are knocked off the boat and stunned 5 seconds in the water, you have to swim back while the shark is attacking you or another friend in the water (Aggro system). Nobody here is Beowulf. By no means should anybody be able to just disembark and fight the shark head to head and kill it, or tank. Make sharks cause unavoidable drowning dmg fixed at something like 5 with an atk speed of 6 seconds maybe? Anything avoid people swim in plate armor to bait sharks. The best option should always be to reach the boat or land, so don’t go easy on us!

That example is just for sharks. Age and animal type could be a factor in effective ql needed to knock a guy off (20-30ql young-venerable sharks maybe, 40-60ql young-venerable whales). A sea creature unalarmed would still not start combat, so merchants can sail freely.

Video just for fun:

Spoiler

New Fishing loot:

Spoiler

“Yiraia, why are you trying to make fishing and sea creature hunting so difficult when they only provide another meat type?” Because I want them to provide more than just another meat type! The animals on land are already simple to kill and any suggestion to make them tougher would have a large effect on new people. The ocean is a place where new players only meet after using a rowboat, and even then, sea creatures don’t attack randomly. Butchering sea creatures can offer a chance to give fish teeth and bones (not to be confused with rarity bones). 3 of these teeth and bones can be attached to a leather necklace, or bracelet to make specialized equipment (Leatherworking/Jewelrysmithing?, ql doesnt matter, crude tribal looking jewelry). Different combinations of these teeth and bones on a necklace or bracelet would create a different activate-able buff, and a different durability. Ex: Roach tooth, Roach bone, Perch tooth on a bracelet would be super easy to create, so it would last maybe 2 uses. The buff from this combination could be to remove a hurting effect. While another combination like Whale bone, Shark tooth, Dolphin tooth necklace would be much more difficult with the task of harpooning them. This would offer maybe 20-30 uses (bit too much? I’m not sure) and maybe offer the ability of like running on water for 2 minutes, or 50% speed boost on foot. NO BONE/TOOTH COMBINATION SHOULD OFFER ADDITIONAL XP. Affinity foods, and runes have already been added to bring another 20% xp along with sleep bonus, enchants, and nutrition. Some combinations can be strictly cosmetic, such as a combination that turns you into a certain animal every time. Some may be functional and work similarly to the rift loot (but actually work). Some may even work like crappier versions of tomes, like summoning a loyal bear instead of a warg with the use of a fish necklace or bracelet. Whatever the function may be, Examining the necklace or bracelet should show the effect, durability, and combination (Unless you would like the combination secret like affinity food for market reasons). If you like this suggestion, what would you like to see as an active buff?

Note: I was going to suggest making a mini-game during fishing like pulling the fighting rod to the right and left and reeling it in, but odds are wurm will make it confusing and make it difficult for newer people to get food. This suggestion is to bring more content to the game, not make anything necessary in the game more difficult. And as far as sea animals go, they arent necessary.

tldr; Make sea creatures nearly impossible to fight without harpoons. sea creatures fight boat, knock people off, hurt people. Making sea creatures more difficult to add a new, more useful equipment. Equipment is crude jewelry using to give some interesting active buffs. If you took the time to read everything, you are awesome.

• Like 1

"Miss Wong, you have the 'poon."

Futurama-Season-6-Episode-21-26-79cb.jpg

Edited by Wonka

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

Priests can't make good harpoons.

Didn't think about that :o Good point there

Edit: Wait, the crafting recipe for a Harpoon required multiple items and harpoons must be imped by crafting items. So creation ql would be 1/5 of your skill (shipbuilding or weaponsmithing, debatable)  and then you would need to improve it. A priest can't even make a harpoon in my suggestion. Are you asking for priest to be able to make harpoons?

Edited by Yiraia
confused, as always

2 hours ago, Yiraia said:

Didn't think about that :o Good point there

Edit: Wait, the crafting recipe for a Harpoon required multiple items and harpoons must be imped by crafting items. So creation ql would be 1/5 of your skill (shipbuilding or weaponsmithing, debatable)  and then you would need to improve it. A priest can't even make a harpoon in my suggestion. Are you asking for priest to be able to make harpoons?

I'm strongly suggesting that it's a suggestion that would further gimp priests horribly.

It's really not workable from that perspective; it'd be rather like adding a creature that can only be killed by magic, no non-priest is going to want to go near that.

42 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

I'm strongly suggesting that it's a suggestion that would further gimp priests horribly.

Thats where you are wrong my friend!!!! Priest can fight, and in this suggestion i did not say they can't throw harpoons. That enables priest to get the resources needed. Then all that needs to be crafted is a leather necklace/bracelet which should require no continuing just like a gold necklace/bracelet. Next, get the resources and the leather neck/brace and attached the pieces one at a time, until you get 3 to get a complete necklace. The same way you can attach runes on tools as a priest. Priest and Followers can enjoy this. If thats not the issue and its crafting harpoons, then thats already common.

This suggestion gives greater use for Fishing, Polearms (other than style and fighting mounted people), and the sea creatures that only give a different meat and ink. The game already has tomes that does stuff like summon lightning and wargs to fight by your side. The chance to get it is slim and looks awesome, and would like it to stay that way. tomeless -> tome is a big jump in capabilities, and its just a small chance to get it. I wanna put something in the middle of that jump, the crude jewellery. Instead of fancy wargs, simple bears or seals or anything. I honestly have yet to think of a con other than "Wahhh this could be OP" or "Will take too long to implement." If you can think of anything i would like to know, but theres one thing with this suggestion. This has NO harm to any new players unless they randomly swim in oceans. Merchants will NOT have an issue with them because you must initiate combat first. There are many kinds of meat and several combinations for 1 affinity with foods, so its possible to avoid sea creature meat just like you would dragon meat. Not saying their are no cons to this suggestion, but I literally can't think of anything, and would like to know if you can think of one.

58 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

It's really not workable from that perspective; it'd be rather like adding a creature that can only be killed by magic, no non-priest is going to want to go near that.

That... isn't bad? Infact that would be cool, adding lost souls (neutral creatures) that can be located with spells and killed with only attack spells. Whats wrong with adding more stuff for priest, isnt that something you like?

So you're ok adding creatures that only priests can kill but not ok with a weapon that cannot be made by priests? Did I miss something?

To not derail this thread, +1 I love the idea of a harpoon.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

So you're ok adding creatures that only priests can kill but not ok with a weapon that cannot be made by priests? Did I miss something?

I'm not ok with either, I was holding it up as a rather silly example XD

I'm sorry but this is a solid -1 from me as it stands.  It's just more non-priest content that would take away from potential priest content.

Demand that the various jewellery needs enchanting after creation (with a reasonably difficult spell, not just "bless ktnxbai") and you might be on to something.

Allow crude jewelry to be smelted at a % loss based on some skill devs deem appropriate.  ;)

I'll +1 this. I like the idea of harpoons, unique loot for sea creatures, and tribal jewelery( maybe even add that priests can bless them in order to work or put some spell that spirit of animal on necklasse activate). Using harpoons seems a bit complicated though, i would rather see to have stash of them and throw them more simmilar to archery(you can pull back the ones you missed cause of rope) but not sure if that is too easy. Also feel that whales should give higher revard as they would be harder to kill :)

• Like 1