Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

auto targeting

So, I do this every month or two and fail to learn from it, so maybe I'm not the only one?  Last night I went afk, while out in the wilds (ok, I fell asleep wurming) and woke up dead.  50+ body str, 70 FS, scale, supreme spear.  Got killed by a black bear.  Why?  Because while I was traveling, I happened to get targeted by a scorp, so my targeting stayed on the scorp that is kilometers away.

What I would like to change: Auto Targeting that actually auto targets, or gives us some choices on method of targeting.  I would love it if I could set an option where it drops inactive targets and switches to current attacker.

Just a small change for some QoL.  Maybe add into the new UI?

• Like 4

Checkbox for settings to not upset the norm.

Allow npc target disengage after 5 mins idle? Just like sleep bonus mechanic?

If that doesn't work then do distance based on tiles from the player.

• Like 3

+1.  Don't even have to be afk for the current targeting to give me headaches from slapping my forehead. 

Typical scenario for me.....when on my way from point A to point B, not looking for a fight, and getting tagged repeatedly, (& religiously remembering to keep hitting no-target).......then stopping to fight something.....and my occasional spells of fluff-for-brains has led to me forgetting I had something targeted that I hadn't cleared, and standing there wondering why I'm getting my arse handed to me by a bear. (or worse news, a troll, and have to retreat).  lol.  I usually figure it out in time but it's a forehead-slapper just the same.  :)

• Like 3

+1 IF If you are going to have auto-target as an optional setting.

(In PvP you dont want to be hitting a guy who is going down and then another enemy targets you and it auto targets them, it will become a pain in the arse to deal with mid combat)

Edited by Firecat
  • Like 4

I like the idea of distance related drop of targeting. If I'm traveling and have left a wolf far behind (where it stops chasing me) then my target should drop that enemy in favor of a closer, active enemy.

• Like 4

Perhaps a simple, "after 20 tiles of distance" it should drop automatically?

I would go a bit more than 20 tiles, unless that is more than longbow range. 

Going max longbow range +1 might be a good idea, if it is more than 20.

Including an inactive timer on it would be good as well, for a back up option, I would go with a 2 minute timer.  If I have not attacked the target by then I am not going to fight it.

• Like 2

Just now, Orsus said:

I would go a bit more than 20 tiles, unless that is more than longbow range. 

Going max longbow range +1 might be a good idea, if it is more than 20.

Including an inactive timer on it would be good as well, for a back up option, I would go with a 2 minute timer.  If I have not attacked the target by then I am not going to fight it.

Sorry I meant 20 tiles and getting attacked by something else in a closer range.

13 hours ago, Tallios said:

Perhaps a simple, "after 20 tiles of distance" it should drop automatically?

that would impact pvp negatively as well, what if you wanna target someone who's far away to not lose sight of him when shooting your bow? This thread was just one person's mistake, and really, if you read the game's rules, going Afk is not exactly a thing they like, saying things like you should have a level of awareness at all times. Guy should be more careful. -1

Should only happen if you dc in which i agree, but cruising around waiting for anything to hit you so you don't have to look around target etc is a bit meh. 

What's stopping me just planting myself in x area and go work whilst having a LT weapon equipped, ill be alive when i get back and for sure have some extra skill. 

Edited by Mclavin

15 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

Should only happen if you dc in which i agree, but cruising around waiting for anything to hit you so you don't have to look around target etc is a bit meh. 

What's stopping me just planting myself in x area and go work whilst having a LT weapon equipped, ill be alive when i get back and for sure have some extra skill. 

You can do that now - the problem comes in when you're travelling and leaving targetted mobs behind.  If you're standing still and waiting for stuff to come to you, then autotarget lets you make a corpse pile already.

• Like 1

I get the whole unattended gaming thing, but the way Wurm is designed, they actually encourage unattended activity.  Sermon groups... do they really expect us to all sit around for 3 hours, watching our alts as we wait for our turn to preach?  One of the things I absolutely love about this game is the ability to park/camp/rest/afk in a spot and not have the game auto-logout if you don't touch your keyboard.  Very few games allow this and it is refreshing!  The time it takes to login and rebuild our UI resorting inventory, opening water container, opening cart and the food container in cart, etc... Thank you devs for this.

As far as skilling afk, without a macro, the skill gains are so minimal that I don't think devs honestly care.  Other games have near immediate respawns, but Wurm doesn't.  I've never once considered afk hunting as a way to pick up extra skill.  I only see the value is self preservation.  In fact, I've noticed that many aggressive creatures fail to even notice you exist, when you aren't moving at all.

I do completely understand the pvp impact, which is why I suggested this feature as an option, knowing it would mess with pvp if forced on everyone. This isn't any more game breaking than the "faithful" button.  On or off, up to the player.

Also, consider the sleep bonus timer.  Player's choice.  A feature that improves our gaming experience especially for those that go afk in the middle of something.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2017 at 9:55 AM, Wurmhole said:

Because while I was traveling, I happened to get targeted by a scorp, so my targeting stayed on the scorp that is kilometers away.

Because loosing connection or getting called away can kill, I constantly clear my target window, it is a good habit to get into.

I don't think we really need a more complex system, maybe down the road once the dev's catch up with the several thousand broken chunks of code until then stick to what works just fine.