Sign in to follow this  
Ekib

fast travel portals

ok so hear me out. we have magic, we got portals taking us to an other world: epic, and back ....but we cant use them to travel short distance?

how about small portals linking starter towns in xanadu (and possibly other servers? ) so can travel to them, and select where to jump.

you would go alone. with your gear only ( so cant use it to transport goods or animals) but this way would help to mount rescue missions when someone needs help but is at other side of the server, or for new players who decide this isnt the spot they want to live in, or just paying each others social visits.

jump would cost something like 10-100 karma, or a cooldown so cant be abused jumping back and forth all the time, but would still let us be able to travel more easily.

for the portal to be active into linking the spawns in xanadu, an active highway could be needed, and / or having traveled to the destination once before to activate the portal for you.

edited it a bit as people seems to confuse the epic portals people can build everywhere to the big ones at starter towns (and if you havent seen those. go travel a bit they look awsome).

those portals i suggest would NOT be buildable. it would be starter town only.

just meant to ease travel and give more options but still forcing people to move

Edited by Ekib
  • Like 3

Portals in my opinion is what destroys the feeling of open'ness a game has. Imagine this : You're playing skyrim, you have a quest , go to X location , you open the map and teleport there, get X item, teleport back... not that fun... Now imagine this, You're playing skyrim but you have to walk all the way because you didn't discover the place, you start walking but on the way you find something, maybe a cave, maybe something happens, its the same with Wurm dude, if you could take a shortcut, there's no point in having a huge world.... We already have karma teleports which i think is enough , and they come with spending 1000 of it. Either way, a free or cheap teleport i dont think is a good idea -1

Edited by Smallbird
  • Like 2

karma teleport is to go to home deed, dont think anyone uses it...

and i meant not as a portal you make and can travel anywhere. more like those big epic portals in spawns: players cant make them and you cant move them, only location is the spawn.

so if you want to go use the transport you got to get your ass to one of those, and would take you to an other but that's it. no going from your home to whereever.

for example i live in the north of newspring island. i'd have to travel to newspring itself, jump the portal and land say in whitefay( using it as example since someone earlier needed help in the area). then on return i land in newspring. and got to travel back home. not meant as a way to cut travel. just as alternate way to travel. also arriving without horse/cart or boat would leave you pretty slow, and not really worth it to go hunting since can only carry your inventory.

Always remember planes of power in eq

Fast travel means no more sandbox 

+1.  You'll get overwhelming -1s from this, since it's generally considered to be rank heresy in Wurm. lol. But I've long believed portals would be beneficial and not heretical for many reasons. (not least of which, all the reasons talked about in other threads, like the starter-town thread, and making it easier for people to actually gather together and socialize without having to plan a week's vacation and an alt to do the "chores" on your deed to do it)

Istaria actually has a great system consisting of fixed portals in towns and such. Each portal only has a select list of destinations, (which have to have been visited on foot first). The end result still requires you to walk to the nearest portal, then sometimes having to take multiple portals to get to your destination. It can still sometimes take a half hour or so to get somewhere but Istaria is so huge that without a portal system, I doubt they'd keep even the players they have.

Honestly, once you've traveled a particular route a bazillion times on foot or by boat, it loses a lot of it's "charm" when you're just trying to accomplish something  and just want to get from point A to point B to do it. The roads would still be used, shipping would still be a thing, etc, etc, etc. 

In fact, I'd wager that people would be much more inclined to get out and explore new areas or shop the markets if they didn't have to first spend an hour just getting to the general area.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Smallbird said:

Portals in my opinion is what destroys the feeling of open'ness a game has. Imagine this : You're playing skyrim, you have a quest , go to X location , you open the map and teleport there, get X item, teleport back... not that fun... Now imagine this, You're playing skyrim but you have to walk all the way because you didn't discover the place, you start walking but on the way you find something, maybe a cave, maybe something happens, its the same with Wurm dude, if you could take a shortcut, there's no point in having a huge world.... We already have karma teleports which i think is enough , and they come with spending 1000 of it. Either way, a free or cheap teleport i dont think is a good idea -1

Yeah you can't really compare Wurm to Skyrim, two very different games. All you would be missing out by teleporting from a starter town to the other is being chased by mobs and checking if someone forgot to secure their deed/carts/boats. Other than that you aren't missing anything that will make you say "Gee whiz I sure am glad i spent 5 hours traveling to help a newb, but now they have logged off for the night, oh well". 

The point of having a huge world is for people to deed where they want to having teleports isn't going to make people disband deeds and cram into a single area. If anything it would encourage people to have deeds on opposing sides of the map. Look at Xanadu some people might feel like having a southern/northern deed because of its mob distribution and green/blue grapes to name a few.

+1 to take it a bit further they can make it so that mayors can "tune" an epic portal to their deed and people can teleport to that deed if the mayor gives them permission. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Smallbird said:

still can be added, just you can not use them...

4 hours ago, Tallios said:

It'll become the new supersized mailbox

this please!

But a neat idea would be 4 times a year a portal between all the starter cities can be traveled to.

Some cosmic event rips an unstable portal open in starter cities when the planets are aligned.  It looks very unstable and might last 24 hours.

The land to player ratio is so far off atm, I like to visit people from time to time but it's usually so long a trip that it rarely happens due to the hassle.

While the argument made sense years ago, most games on expansion 12 or whatever add faster travel due to the sheer amount of wasted time getting from place to place.

• Like 2

I would ask, that IF we were to allow this that it only starts with Starter cities could only be connected, and that they have a 24 hour cool down for "free" usage.

Each use over the first in 24 hours should cost something in sac'ed items, 

I recommend the cost increase each time it is used.

In short, limit the hell out of this, and then slowly ease restrictions.  Because once the genie is out of the bottle, everyone will whine and cry if it's taken away.

I wouldn't, however, be opposed against the idea of a Starter town teleport option, paid with Karma or maybe timed thing. You can already do this by dying so why not? But other than that, no point. Travelling is what makes Wurm unique. If you could teleport everywhere, no one would travel and see stuff people build. And then whats the point? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

I wouldn't, however, be opposed against the idea of a Starter town teleport option, paid with Karma or maybe timed thing. You can already do this by dying so why not? But other than that, no point. Travelling is what makes Wurm unique. If you could teleport everywhere, no one would travel and see stuff people build. And then whats the point? 

looks like i wasnt clear enough. and sorry about this: the traveling portals would ONLY be located at starter towns in my idea. NOT like epic portals you build everywhere. those would be like the LARGE epic portals (i guess few people bothered to see what those look like) and that means starter town location only.

I thought the sandbox was what made Wurm unique.  Guess it can have several things that make it unique.

Huge plus one for me for fast travel teleports!!!!!

I personally think we should just remove all teleportation (karma and meditation port).

Then, I suspect, this would, magically and mysteriously overnight, get a lot more +1s.

I'd support portals that link starter deeds to other starter deeds, and a way to teleport from your home village to/from a starting village, but only on PvE servers. +1

Travel time in Wurm is a huge hurdle, and servers do not offer nearly enough variety to justify it, its all the same temperate forest and fields.

Even such a teleport system would not remove travel completely, it would only carve off 20 minutes of what might be a 40 minute trip to the other side of the server.

• Like 1