Sign in to follow this  
jdubb

How to change models

Hello all!

I was looking for any information anyone would be so kind as to share in how to actually change a model in Wurm Unlimited.

First I made a simple convex top cubed (For easily identifying the top) in blender and exported it to dae.

I then changed mapping inside graphics.jar and changed the model.decoration.statuette.vynora.gold = models/Statuettes/vynStatuette.dae instead of = models/Statuettes/vynStatuette.wom

i then deleted the vynStatuette.wom in graphics.jar->models->Statuettes and added vynStatuette.dae

No matter if I used Max or Blender to create the dae file, the model is always rotated on its side, on the x axis making the top of the model point in the z axis direction (Depending on its Yaw rotation, same as rotating object using move/rotate command in game). Blender and Max both use a Z up axis. Even if I rotate the model on its side then export to dae, the model is still rotated on its side in game.

I've tried every different export option in blender for the dae file, which are both, matrix or rotTransLoc and I've tried each of these options with the models top facing Zup or rotated so the top faces Yup and the model is still laying on its side in game.

I've checked every attempted model in Unity just to see what they looked like there. In the assets window images, all models were pictures on their side but when dragged and dropped onto scene, some of them were right side up, some were rotated on their side and all of them had greater or less then zero values in the x rotation property EXCEPT the 3d Studio max model. On that one, all the xyz rotation properties were zero and the axis gizmo showed Yup, Zdepth and Xleft/right.

I thought for sure the Max dae model would work based on what Unity was showing me, but when imported to Wurm-U, it was still rotated on its side.

Another avenue I tried was using Autodesks FBX converter to import dae models to fbx then back to dae. This didn't change anything either. All models whether rotated in max or blender showed with the top up inside the converter viewer, but any models converted were also laying on their side in Wurm-u.

If anyone has successfully changed a default model for a custom made model and is willing to share their steps/tools used, my love for you will be eternal and everlasting! :)

Y is up in the client, also make sure to freeze any transformations... use the FBX plugin for Max to export to FBX with 2013 profile selected then convert to dae with the standalone 2013.3 FBX converter and all should be well

• Like 1

Using 3dsmax 8 (Cant afford any new versions)

I froze tranform using alt-rightclick->freeze transform

exported to alias(.fbx) 2005.08, no special options for exporting with profiles on this version

opened with 2013.3 fbx converter, converted to dae

overwrote vynstatuette in graphics.jar

opened Wurm-U

still lays on its side

Looking at the fbx exporter that comes with 3dsmax8, this version is probably too old for what I am trying to do.

also tried using blender which doesnt have any kind of freeze transforms, exported to FBX, using 2013.3 fbx converter to go to dae, model doesn't show in wurm, don't know if its rotated in the ground or not but cant see it.

Thanks for trying to help me. I really, really appreciate it!

Thanks for your help Saroman! Your info definitely helped in the trial and error process of using blender and exporting to FBX.

You rock dood!!!

:D

• Like 1