Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Do the animals living on deed affect which gender is born?

I breed mostly conditioned animals. Since only females can pass on conditions, I only keep the females conditioned ones I breed and not the males. This means that the vast majority of animals on my deed are female, and I have several hundred of them. I've noticed that over the months, far more male animals are being born than female. Females are still sometimes born, but it's getting less and less. Perhaps this is just the RNG and I've just been unlucky, but I was wondering if the fact I have so many females on my deed could be causing more males to be born? Would I have better luck getting females if I had a more even proportion of females to males on my deed? I've also been getting more miscarriages than usual, despite the fact that my deed ratio is 31, and miscarriages are only supposed to become more common at 15 or less. Has the programming for that changed?

I think you are just unlucky with the RNG there. Don't know of anything like that.

if you have several hundred animals, and you have large numbers that give birth on any specific day, this will cause very erratic spikes in your ratio, its unlikely to be at 31 on a consistent basis.

I have also mostly females,. probably a 1:8 ratio or higher in males-to-females (closer to 1:12 for my bisons) , and while I get 'clusters" of bad days where they are mostly male, or mostly all greys, or have some oddball trait like Keen (which none of my breedstock have), it seems to even out over the course of a month. But the RNG seems very .. "sticky"  .. at times. 

Is this on WO or WU, and if WU, is it modded?  There is a fast-pregnancy mod that cost me a lot of my best breeding mares because they all simultaneously gave birth on one day, my ratio went wonkers, and a lot of mares died to miscarriages.  

What's the largest number of live births you might get in a single day? What is your total deed size (ie, 45x35, 125x120, etc)? Are deeds set to ignore aggressives (meaning, cave bugs etc spawning in mines can throw off your ratio)

there are some other threads here discussing unexpected numbers of miscarriages, let me see if I can dig up more to see if any sound like your issue:

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

This is WO. I only breed a portion of the animals I have, so the my average births per day is about 5, though it could go as high as 10. My deed size is 120x82. My ratio actually doesn't increase that quickly. Because it takes so long to get a female conditioned animal, it could be weeks before I have another to add to my pens. The males or non-conditioned ones I release, and they never seem to stay on deed long; I seldom see them hanging around for more than a few days.

yeah, 120x82 deed and 5 births a day, on WO servers, should not be having miscarriages.

I would certainly try to get the released animals farther from the deed, because they might wander in clumps back on deed at bad moments. 

other than that, i have no idea what is causing the issue.

I have never seen any sign that sex of the births is linked to local male-female ratios, but they do often come in weird "clumps'.

In some games however there have been obvious patterns (Sims) where baby genders depend on local demographics. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

For my ratio to get below 15, I'd need to have an extra 300 animals wandering around on my deed in addition to the penned ones. I often see quite a few wandering animals when I ride around my deed, but nowhere close to 300, and that includes the animals I've previously released. Do you think it's likely that 300 animals walk onto deed at random times but are gone whenever I'm riding around? I've got pens all over my deed which I visit every day, so I see the area quite often...