Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

Musical instruments

I've only been playing a short time, so I apologize if this has already been hashed out somewhere, but I haven't seen any hint of musical instruments in the game.

Music was, of course, a big deal in medieval times, and I can see the craft and art of musical instruments fitting nicely into Wurm. Allow players to build harpsichords, pipe organs (at one time I believe the most complicated machine yet built by humanity, requiring masters to accomplish), trumpets (including ram horns), fiddles, lutes, harps, drums, and so on.

Potential PVE effects:

- Building a musical instrument could allow players to set background music for their houses, dependent on type of instrument and quality. Everyone visiting would hear this music.

- As an additional bonus, such music could provide bonuses such as affinities, whether a temporary bonus after listening, or a persistent bonus while in range (like altars).

- As a really crazy idea, music and dancing go together, and I could see dancing being added to the game, perhaps also providing temporary bonuses (being stronger and longer-lasting the more people are involved and the better quality instruments involved, such as at a fancy ball).

Potential PVP effects:

- Trumpets were widely used in combat, to signal such things as charges, retreats, and assembly. I could easily see certain instruments being used to provide speed bonuses to cavalry. (For that matter the practical effect of hearing an ally blow a trumpet could help you find them if they were in trouble and out of sight: also a common military usage.)

- Martial bands were also used to encourage the troops, and I could see certain types of music providing temporary combat bonuses. I once had the privilege of hearing the Turkish marching band play, the oldest such in the world, and they were -very- impressive. The Black Watch, the Ladies from Hell, also come to mind: playing their bagpipes into battle.

- Certain kinds of frenzy-building chanting also come to mind: such as the Uruk-hai standing outside Helm's Deep. Drums could go well with that.

Anyhow, that's just a little brainstorming on details, but hopefully the fundamental idea is evident. :)

I totally want to see someone build a pipe organ in a castle and have Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor playing, though.

• Like 1

This idea reminds me of the cantinas in SWG.  You would go in and sit down listen to music, watch dancers and get the buffs they would provide.  It gave people a reason to come together everyday.

I remember suggesting musical instruments a few years ago complete with compositions on papyrus sheets.  Maybe someday we'll see this sort of stuff appear.

+1

I love this idea and papyrus sheets could be used with those very well! An interface to compose music onto sheets would be very nice. The skill of the instrument could then be used to play the tune and depending on the skill level, you will be able to play better(less mistakes, like wrong notes or better timing) and more difficult tunes. Sheets should then be able to be multiplied so music can be shared, too.

Sounds all good until Wurm get a lawsuit for players stealing copyrighted music.

41 minutes ago, lolmaster said:

Sounds all good until Wurm get a lawsuit for players stealing copyrighted music.

I assumed the music involved would be a selection Wurm provided, so that with X QL on Y instrument you would have Z options. (I don't know how that would fit with the musical notation on papyrus idea, though, which I like.)

we can use something like the almanac to share songs and if get a new skill adjust the performance with the skill

really like this idea - adds more complex items to build and opens up a little more use for alloys. Already have mental images of creating a "rare" violin and giving it a Stradivarius name :P

If this were implemented it would also be nice to get instrument displays so you can have them about as decoration.

Not sure how it would work fixing a buff to an area tho. A trumpet in battle seems simpler as the person would have to equip and use it to give the buff but how would you activate an instruments buff and leave it in a house?