Sign in to follow this  
Wort

Higher ql skins from animal husbandry

I'd like a trait in animal husbandry that gives you a higher chance of getting a high ql hide/pelt/fur. It could read "It has a fine coat" or something along these lines. I think it should be moderately high in the skill, but not over 50.

• Like 5

I like the idea. Maybe also grooming animals for a long time gives better ql mats. +1

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Partrune said:

I like the idea. Maybe also grooming animals for a long time gives better ql mats. +1

I think if it comes from grooming rather than a trait, it should be a line item on examine. "It's coat is exceptionally clean now."

I don't really like the amount of extra work that goes into this but I understand it's hard to add features that don't involve a lot of extra work.

• Like 3

Some new trait ideas.

Sturdy = Produces more meat when butchered

Has a healthy coat = produces more leather 

Strong organs = produces more animal parts when butchered

• Like 4

General +1 to any changes that incentivize raising animals. The way things are now (at least where I am), if I want meat and animal parts, it's much faster and easier to just go on a short hunting trip around my deed than to raise the animals myself.

• Like 1

does butchering not give you higher ql skins already?

Its like saying mining should give you higher ql trees

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

What...

why is there no dislike button for comments

On 9/21/2017 at 8:29 AM, JakeRivers said:

does butchering not give you higher ql skins already?

Butchering does, in fact, increase the likelihood of getting a higher ql skin, but the ql is still all over the place, and grinding butchering is painfully slow. This suggestion would just make it a bit more consistent. I'm not suggesting an animal with this trait automatically gives 90ql skins to any noob using a shovel to butcher a corpse, it would just make it a lot less likely for someone with 70 butchering and a 90ql rare knife to produce a 30ql pelt.

I think Yiraia's response was sufficient response to your second point. You just completely missed the boat there.

38 minutes ago, Wort said:

Butchering does, in fact, increase the likelihood of getting a higher ql skin, but the ql is still all over the place, and grinding butchering is painfully slow. This suggestion would just make it a bit more consistent. I'm not suggesting an animal with this trait automatically gives 90ql skins to any noob using a shovel to butcher a corpse, it would just make it a lot less likely for someone with 70 butchering and a 90ql rare knife to produce a 30ql pelt.

I think Yiraia's response was sufficient response to your second point. You just completely missed the boat there.

I disagree. I think Jake understands what you mean, he just simply disagrees.

There is already a skill that gives higher quality pelts or animal parts. The skill is pretty random, yes, but thats the point. You can already imp stuff with lower quality leather than the quality of the item you are imping, so you dont exactly NEED higher quality pelts as you need higher quality lumps for smithing. The fact that your imping is not capped to the quality of the leather is a good enough compensation for the random nature of butchering.

I am personally against any idea that calls for an easier way to obtain what you already get from an existing skill or process. Workarounds are not fair to those who bit the bullet and did things the hard way. My suggestion: level butchering and you can enjoy from all the high quality animal parts you can possibly want. Grinding butchering is not much harder than metallurgy or coalmaking, and it can be quite fun (unlike the boring grind of the other two).

As someone with 70 butchering, a high QL rare knife, and the 10% rare QL rune...

It's pretty easy to get 90+ QL hide.

14 hours ago, Wort said:

I'd like to see how many 30 ql pelts and hides you get with 70 butchering and a 90 ql rare knife, because I think its near zero.

Husbandry to see traits that make animals yield more meat, hides, or organs, sounds great.

Using the actual skill to determine the ql of the items you get, sounds weird. I can be the best cattle breeder in the world but that doesn't mean I actually know how to wield a knife and skin the animal. It does mean I can recognize those animals with the better pelts so the slaughterhouse can work with those, instead.

-1 to the original, but +1 to stormblades idea

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alyeska said:

I'd like to see how many 30 ql pelts and hides you get with 70 butchering and a 90 ql rare knife, because I think its near zero.

It's not a particularly high number, but it is far more than zero.

3 hours ago, Alyeska said:

Husbandry to see traits that make animals yield more meat, hides, or organs, sounds great.

Maybe I didn't word it correctly, but this was my original idea. (well, it was hides and ql in my suggestion, and Stormblade expanded on it.)

The husbandry skill mentioned in my OP was just referring to the skill needed to see the trait.

32 minutes ago, Wort said:

It's not a particularly high number, but it is far more than zero.

Maybe I didn't word it correctly, but this was my original idea. (well, it was hides and ql in my suggestion, and Stormblade expanded on it.)

The husbandry skill mentioned in my OP was just referring to the skill needed to see the trait.

Then, yes, absolute +1 :)

I thought you meant that having higher husbandry would aid you in butchering said hides. My bad!

+1

I think it would be great to have more reasons to grind AH. Here are some more ideas: